Opportunity wont present again

• Banned

When i think about the 2016 competition, i just cant see there being a better chance to make the 8 than this year. We had teams falling over all around us that wont do it again next year. To have a season where the Roosters, Rabbitohs and Manly were horrible, and Parramatta having points stripped, basically eliminated 4 teams that will finish higher than us next year. Throw in Saints, Newcastle and the Warriors who are all hopeless, that left just 9 teams competing for the top 8 and we couldnt get the job done.

Its scary to think that the above 4 teams (manly, parra, sths, roosters) will all improve on the ladder, while all top 8 teams seem as though they will maintain there level.

Looking at the Wests Tigers alone i agree with most that we improved, but when u look at other teams for 2017, it looks very scary to me.

We will never get another season with so many teams falling over.

• The same could be said about 2010.

• Our season ended less than a week ago and this argument is worn out already. Reading it for 6 months is going to be fun.

Manly have been horrible for 2 yrs in a row. Some seem to forget 2015. They are another team who surrendered meekly when their season was on the line.

• I agree with a lot you say King Siro. Every year there are over achievers and under achievers, but this year was really strange when you consider what transpired and as you said never will a team get a better shot at making the eight as we did this year.

The scary thing all these teams started to hit their straps at the end of the season and are building for 2017 with new recruitments.

I have said it before at this stage I only rate Newcastle St George and possibly the warriors behind us as far 2017 goes. Without two quality recruits and a couple of quality depth players this squad will struggle.

Every day I am amazed at how we could have cap problems!!!

• Go back to the start of the season and nobody expected Raiders or Titans to do anywhere near as well as they did, or Storm to be minor premiers, or Sharks to win 15 in a row, some teams over-achieve as well. History shows that every year 3 or 4 teams who made the top 8 the previous year will not be there the following year. It’s likely that a couple of the teams who didn’t do so well this year will improve, and a couple from the top 8 will go backwards, happens every year. Tigers have a young team and many of our players will get better next year, and with the Farah dramas behind us I see no reason why we can’t challenge for the top 8 in 2017.

• Ups and downs happen every year can’t control that. Your correct we did have a shot this year and we are all disappointed at the way we went out, but you could argue that our form was improved at the end of the season and therefor we will compete next year.

Best laid plans of mice and men! That saying is as old as the hills and for good reason. You can make all the plans but still have to be able to play the best you can with the roster you have against that weeks oppositions form.

I think we will finish in the bottom 7.

• I actually think 2017 is our best chance in a while to really do something. We have no major losses (with the possible exception of Elijah Taylor) and hopefully with Ballin/Liddle coming in we could have a proper hooker for the 80 minutes. One would think it unlikely to retain Tedesco/Woods/Moses and Brooks beyond 2017 so next year is the year something has to happen…

• Banned

@king sirro:

When i think about the 2016 competition, i just cant see there being a better chance to make the 8 than this year. We had teams falling over all around us that wont do it again next year. To have a season where the Roosters, Rabbitohs and Manly were horrible, and Parramatta having points stripped, basically eliminated 4 teams that will finish higher than us next year. Throw in Saints, Newcastle and the Warriors who are all hopeless, that left just 9 teams competing for the top 8 and we couldnt get the job done.

Its scary to think that the above 4 teams (manly, parra, sths, roosters) will all improve on the ladder, while all top 8 teams seem as though they will maintain there level.

Looking at the Wests Tigers alone i agree with most that we improved, but when u look at other teams for 2017, it looks very scary to me.

By that reasoning, the Warriors and Saints could say the same thing - they were both in the 8 for a good chunk of the season and probably thought we were quite hopeless and beatable at times which we were for the most part.

• We just need to worry about ourselves. Other teams will improve and decline around us - there’ll be some shocks as there always are. Off-field incidents, injuries, players changing clubs etc - there’s a lot to happen between now and round 1 2017, let alone the end of next season.

• @king sirro:

Maybe not. Our for and against tells the real story of where we were at.
    Look at it this way, this opportunity may not present again but when we do make it, it will be because we were good enough and deserved it

• @DRtiger:

with the Farah dramas behind us I see no reason why we can’t challenge for the top 8 in 2017.

Thing is, the Farah situation isn’t behind us because he will be taking up $750k of next season’s cap while playing elsewhere. That’s enough to buy a good young centre and a back rower. This means the next Bryce Cartwright, the next Tyson Frizzell out of Holden Cup will not be coming to the Tigers because they’re spending the money on a bloke who’s not even here any more.

• @Cosimo_Zaretti:

@DRtiger:

with the Farah dramas behind us I see no reason why we can’t challenge for the top 8 in 2017.

Thing is, the Farah situation isn’t behind us because he will be taking up $750k of next season’s cap while playing elsewhere. That’s enough to buy a good young centre and a back rower. This means the next Bryce Cartwright, the next Tyson Frizzell out of Holden Cup will not be coming to the Tigers because they’re spending the money on a bloke who’s not even here any more.

The 750 is nothing more than speculation.

• There are still 16 teams in the comp, just because some performed worse than others doesn’t mean they can be excluded… We still earned 9th spot at the end of the season. Parra are a little different because they had points deducted, but you could also argue that they may not have been in contention anyway as they essentially cheated, which influenced the position they held on the ladder before the drama started.

When talking about improvement, yes other teams that did poorly this season will improve, but who says we won’t? In fact I think we have more upside than many teams in the comp and hopefully we see this come to fruition next season.

• @avocadoontoast:

I actually think 2017 is our best chance in a while to really do something. We have no major losses (with the possible exception of Elijah Taylor) and hopefully with Ballin/Liddle coming in we could have a proper hooker for the 80 minutes. One would think it unlikely to retain Tedesco/Woods/Moses and Brooks beyond 2017 so next year is the year something has to happen…

It would be surprising if we didn’t do well next year, the club is reasonably stable, with minimal rookies, a core of players that have been with us for a few years and stability at a corporate level.

If we don’t have a decent year next year, then there needs to be questions asked…

• Every year at least 3 teams that make the 8, fail to make it the following year. So there will be some teams that rise and some that will fall. Most likely to rise in my opinion will be roosters, parra and warriors (RTS to return from injury). I’m not convinced manly or souths will be any good, and the dragons and knights will definitely struggle.
    Teams that I predict to fall:
    Raiders (they haven’t made consecutive inala series for a long time)
    Titans (thanks to hayne, their team won’t be as well rounded as it is now)
    Which ever current top 8 team gets hardest hit by injuries

Recent Topics