Tigers bound flyer kicks Keebra Park to QLD schoolboy final win

• Wests Tigers-bound Connelly Lemuelu kicks golden-point field goal to take Keebra Park to title

Connor O’Brien, Gold Coast Bulletin
    September 7, 2016 12:00am

WITH a state championship on the line, up stepped star Keebra Park State High ­fullback Connelly Lemuelu.

The match, played yesterday at Pizzey Park, shaped as a David and Goliath battle with Coombabah rank ­outsiders to the giant Keebra line-up.

What ensued was a tense, dramatic, see-sawing GIO Schoolboys Cup final ­between two talented and desperate sides.

Across 60 minutes the lead changed five times, ­before a late penalty goal to Coombabah winger Callum Boomer sent the decider into golden point.

Off the back of an excellent carry by Payne Haas the ball was fired to Wests ­Tigers-bound Lemuelu, who calmly slotted a 35m field goal to send Keebra’s huge supporter base into raptures.

“It’s pretty good – overwhelming,” an emotional Lemuelu told the Bulletin.

“Most of the boys have been waiting a few years, me myself have been waiting for two years just to make the Queensland final let alone the Australian final.

“We just stuck to our structure, we didn’t panic at the end and lucky for me I ended up with that final field goal.”

His father Konelio was in tears, having flown across from New Zealand to watch the game.

“I think that’s probably my good luck charm,” Lemuelu said. “Dad’s going back to New Zealand (today), Mum’s turn next week in the Australian final.”

Keebra last won a state title in 2013, when they went on to claim their second ­national crown.

They will play Westfields Sports High in the national final in Sydney next week.

Keebra coach Glen Campbell said they’ll go in confident: “We’re not going down there to run second”.

Prior to his field goal heroics, Lemuelu had earlier helped his side edge ahead in the 55th minute, showing an outstanding sleight of hand in a scrum-based set piece to put centre Liam Pakau through for his second try untouched.

The result ended Coombabah’s fairytale run which included beating heavyweights Palm Beach Currumbin State High and Kirwan State High – last year’s national winners – in consecutive matches.

Only millimetres prevented them progressing further, with five-eighth Taine Tuapiki’s field goal attempt into the wind in the dying minutes of regular time scraping just under the cross bar.

Coombabah coach Scott Marlow had special praise for standout captain Rei Rei Marsh, who carried a ­fractured sternum, and said the side had paved the way for future success.

“It’s been very difficult being the new kids on the block with Palm Beach and Keebra here so it’s been a long time coming for Coombabah but these boys have ­really set a great legacy for the teams that come in the future,” he said.

Tigers recruitment manager Warren McDonnell was among a high-profile crowd. Six Keebra players – Lemuelu, Pakau, Oscar Tui, Liam Hampson, Kelepi Lui and captain Tom Mikaele – will join the NRL club’s under-20s 2017 squad.

Final score was 27-26. Play Westfield Sports High next week. A prop, centre and fullback amongst the players we’ve secured.

Also rumoured to have Spencer Poimatagi-Purcell, Bryce Whale and Kees Nicholson under contract.

Here’s also a video one of their students filmed of the moments after the golden point field goal was kicked. I think they enjoyed the win!

• Banned

Future is looking good

Now we need a coach )

• @Tigertigertiger:

Future is looking good

Now we need a coach )

haha…. :roll

• @tsjonathan:

You guys remember this?

http://www.weststigersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1298&start=54

What, Ben Teo winning the Peter Sterling medal, then going on with a top career. Marion Seve winning the medal too?

What’s your point? Keebra have arguable produced as many NRL players in recent years as any other school.

Not all junior stars will go onto become household names, but some will. The more we have to pick and choose from the better.

• Got some funny names up there, Rei Rei Marsh and Bryce Whale.

• @jirskyr:

Got some funny names up there, Rei Rei Marsh and Bryce Whale.

How about Callum Boomer! Sounds like a WWE wrestler.

• @Balmain Boy:

@tsjonathan:

You guys remember this?

http://www.weststigersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1298&start=54

What, Ben Teo winning the Peter Sterling medal, then going on with a top career. Marion Seve winning the medal too?

What’s your point? Keebra have arguable produced as many NRL players in recent years as any other school.

Not all junior stars will go onto become household names, but some will. The more we have to pick and choose from the better.

Seve is still very young. He’ll come good and play first grade. You’re comparing a 20 year old to a player coming towards to the end of his career…

• I am looking forward to seeing Oscar Tui play. Seems to be a good size for a five eighth and Keebra Park have a good record in producing halves with Benji, Corey Norman and TMM. Keebra is one of the best ventures entered into by WTs and Greg Lenton deserves the accolades for always producing competitive teams in the heart of South East Qld.

Recent Topics