I don't understand

• The Sharks are not a big side, they have their fair share of small men, but they have real attitude in defence,they just keep turning up.

I don’t know who looks after their D but would love him at Concord in 2017. I have always maintained we lack the quality size and power in our squad to compete against the power teams,but the Sharks prove you can beat the big sides with a never say die defensive set up.

Makes our effort last week look pretty average

• @supercoach:

The Sharks are not a big side, they have their fair share of small men, but they have real attitude in defence,they just keep turning up.

I don’t know who looks after their D but would love him at Concord in 2017. I have always maintained we lack the quality size and power in our squad to compete against the power teams,but the Sharks prove you can beat the big sides with a never say die defensive set up.

Makes our effort last week look pretty average

I think they have a little more ticker than our boys

• Banned

I saw Heighno run over Papali. I don’t know what our problem is.

• Banned

Yeah what they did to win tonight was amazing! Canberra belted the hell out of them for the first 30 minutes, but somehow they were able to weather that and come out on top. They have a great defensive structure that we can only dream of. Matt Prior, Chris Heighington & Mick Ennis’ careers have really been revitalised under Flannagan.

All that said, I think Canberra would’ve taken the biscuits if Hodgson hadn’t gone off when he did. They lost all direction without him.

PS Our effort last week wasn’t average, supercoach - it was appalling!

• Yep the Raiders were a different side once they lost the pom hooker.

• @Flippedy:

Yeah what they did to win tonight was amazing! Canberra belted the hell out of them for the first 30 minutes, but somehow they were able to weather that and come out on top. They have a great defensive structure that we can only dream of. Matt Prior, Chris Heighington & Mick Ennis’ careers have really been revitalised under Flannagan.

All that said, I think Canberra would’ve taken the biscuits if Hodgson hadn’t gone off when he did. They lost all direction without him.

PS Our effort last week wasn’t average, supercoach - it was appalling!

Hard to argue with any of that, we are poorly coached, I have said this for 2 years now. 😲

• I think the sharks just played too fast for their big guys.

• They got 3-4 into every tackle for 80 minutes. Maloney never got isolated 1-1.

• I think it is all about line speed, the Sharks were up off their defensive line at 100k’s an hour for the whole game. I noticed from the aerial shots that both sides but in particular the Sharks were really compressed in defence. So I guess they correctly gambled on getting extra bodies into the edges would stop the roll on.

I suppose the one positive is the Sharks old experienced heads like Lewis,Ennis and Prior led the way, so you would think most of our squad are only going to get better as the next few years roll on.

One thing id for certain we need to come up with a better defensive system over the off season if we are going to get any where near the 8

• Heart. We got none.

• @matchball:

Heart. We got none.

Not on a week to week basis anyway …

• They have better leadership and much more experience atm. We are getting better but just don’t understand that sometimes you just got a repeal another set of 6 for the momentum to change. We can’t push through the pain barrier.

• If any of you guys have watched Matthew Elliott on NRL.com “The breakdown” defence is all about structure, keeping a straight defensive line and commitment.
    Watching the Raiders game our defensive line was like a jigsaw puzzle all over the field.
    Plus getting numbers into the tackle making sure you get the players onto the ground on their back.
    None of what happens with us.

• Banned

They did it without 2 of their best forwards as well who both happen to be on field leaders.

They understand their weak links and protect them with strong back rowers and centers. Unfortunately our weaklinks are surrounded by other weaklinks

• @stevetiger:

I saw Heighno run over Papali. I don’t know what our problem is.

I do. We have Aaron Woods as our enforcer and leader. Not Paul Gallen. Even though he didn’t play last night and I don’t particularly like him, he sure as hell sets a standard that others rise to.

Recent Topics