NRL: Ref audio message a 'regular communication' says Archer

• NRL: Ref audio message a ‘regular communication’ says Archer

By Quinn Jones, WWOS
    5 hours ago

A message between the match officials in last week’s elimination final referees has left NRL supporters venting their frustration on social media. NRL referees boss Tony Archer has defended a “regular communication” between referees that triggered a groundswell of frustration amongst NRL fans after the controversial elimination final between the Brisbane Broncos and the Gold Coast Titans last Friday.

The Titans looked to have found a way back into the match when Ryan James slid over late in the match at Suncorp Stadium. On the back foot for most of the night, the converted four-pointer put the underdog Titans within striking distance at 40-28 with just seven minutes to play. But it was an audio message between the whistle blowers immediately after the try that pricked the ears of some of the game’s more in-tune fans. “Only 12 points in this Badge,” one referee said as coverage flicked to the Broncos setting up their kick restart.

The message, presumably aimed at assistant referee Gavin Badger, shocked a number of fans with social media lighting up following the eventual 44-28 win to the home side. “After Ryan James scored “there is only 12 points in this Badge” … Match fixed!” one fan said on Facebook. “Woah after that call you have to wonder why 2 refs even care how many points are between the two teams,” another wrote. “Supposed to be impartial and adjudicate equally… this game has been an absolute joke.”

However, Archer said the communication was a natural part of the process between referees, allowing them to coordinate their positions during the final stages of a match. “This is a regular communication trigger when scores are close to ensure the officials’ positioning is correct,” Archer told the Wide World of Sports. "When there is a potential for a field goal, the assistant referee should position himself deeper so he does not get in the way of the attacking team. "It is also a reminder to the touch judges to be aware of players who might be offside. “The referee referenced the margin in order to remind all officials of the potential for a field goal.”

• Banned

"This is a regular communication trigger when scores are close to ensure the officials’ positioning is correct," Archer told the Wide World of Sports. "When there is a potential for a field goal, the assistant referee should position himself deeper so he does not get in the way of the attacking team. "It is also a reminder to the touch judges to be aware of players who might be offside. "The referee referenced the margin in order to remind all officials of the potential for a field goal."

Yeah right 😆

• Forget Warnie……the NRL are the true Kings Of Spin. It took them 5 days to come up with this BS attempt at justification?
    That match looked as close to the result being fixed as you could get. The Donkeys will be in this week’s game against the Cows up to their eyeballs if they get the same preferential treatment from the refs. Hope they get absolutely slaughtered and embarrassed…Go Cows!

• How can you people possibly believe the NRL or refs fix matches? It makes no sense, if it was true and the news ever broke (and believe me it would eventually break just like every rugby league scandal ever) it would be the end of the game.

The NRL does not need to ensure Broncos get close to the GF every year, Broncos are already an outstanding success.

If anything, if NRL were truly rigging it, it would seem in their best interest to get the Titans up, as they are far less assured financially, supporter base etc.

• @jirskyr:

How can you people possibly believe the NRL or refs fix matches? It makes no sense, if it was true and the news ever broke (and believe me it would eventually break just like every rugby league scandal ever) it would be the end of the game.

The NRL does not need to ensure Broncos get close to the GF every year, Broncos are already an outstanding success.

If anything, if NRL were truly rigging it, it would seem in their best interest to get the Titans up, as they are far less assured financially, supporter base etc.

The way the NRL run the game …
    The salary cap…
    TPA’s …
    Scheduling of games (Friday night Broncos)…
    Match review committee …
    Judicial system …
    The list goes on…

We are disgruntled Wests Tigers Supporters …
    Games rigged 😆

• "It is also a reminder to the touch judges to be aware of players who might be offside. "

Thats reassuring

• @hobbo2803:

@jirskyr:

How can you people possibly believe the NRL or refs fix matches? It makes no sense, if it was true and the news ever broke (and believe me it would eventually break just like every rugby league scandal ever) it would be the end of the game.

The way the NRL run the game …
    general rugby league incompetence yes… been around for 121 years
    The salary cap…
    yeah, no back to back premiers in NRL history. sharks and raiders launching themselves into the top 4 while the chooks finish 2nd last. its all rigged
    TPA’s …
    what about them? powerade should be able to sponsor billy slater if they want - and it shouldnt come under the cap

Scheduling of games (Friday night Broncos)…
    thats channel 9…

Match review committee …
    i think the points system is broken. the gradings arent too bad but sometime a grade 1 is 0 weeks, sometimes a grade 2 is 5 weeks. makes litte sence

We are disgruntled Wests Tigers Supporters …
    Games rigged 😆

• @jirskyr:

Bigger supporter base obviously means more bums on seats, more cash spent on merchandise, larger impact ie sponsors, exposure into outside market etc.
    The NRL would love nothing more than to have the Broncos vs a NSW-based team in the GF every single season for marketing purposes.
    It is the same reason why the AFL have their biggest and richest club (Collingwood) play every ANZAC Day and every Queen’s Birthday public holiday game. Showcase your biggest clubs wherever possible, if smaller clubs fall by the wayside then so be it would be the mantra.

• I think theyd prefer different teams in the GF each year

Yeah….I dont even bother with the conspiracy theorists any more…theres a reason why its so abundant on the ‘‘anonymous online’’

• @jirskyr:

Its happened before, and no doubt will happen again at some times .
    If a player can do it , a Ref can do it a lot easier. And why would the NRL have to be in on it. If it did happen it would be more likely to just be an individual Ref , not the NRL.
    The reason….Money !!

• They don’t fix matches, but I truly believe there is an unconscious bias at play about who the better team is and who should be penalised.

• @Masterton:

They don’t fix matches, but I truly believe there is an unconscious bias at play about who the better team is and who should be penalised.

That is so true and the side that is expected to win is the one who gets all the “leg ups” in a game.2014 is the perfect example

• @jirskyr:

Well they are either match-fixing or they are incompetent. Not sure which answer I prefer…

• I don’t believe the NRL overtly fix matches. But in the case of the Broncos, the fix is an enduring one. Put one team in Australia’s 3 largest city (a rugby league heartland), and then throw in TPAs, and you ensure that the Broncos are always in contention at this time of year.

In fact, they have so many advantages that I would say that the Broncos have underachieved over the years.

Darcy Lawler fixed the result of the 1963 GF. We now know that insiders were aware at the time, but nothing was done. When it became public knowledge (after Lawler died), no-one cared.

There is no asterisk against the 1963 GF result, and no footnote to statements about St George’s 11 straight GF wins. No one cares , except for a few old Magpie supporters.

• Couldn’t agree more with the above 4 or 5 posts. All are spot on IMO.

Recent Topics