Canterbury Bulldogs coach Des Hasler to implement major shake-up of club football department

• THE Canterbury board is planning to implement a major shake-up of the club’s entire football department during a crucial meeting with coach Des Hasler and CEO Raelene Castle on Thursday.

While Hasler will remain at the helm of the Bulldogs beyond next season, with a new two-year extension until 2019 close to being signed off on, the shrewd Canterbury board wants a complete review of the club’s much-publicised strategic plan, recruitment, development programs and football department.

The changes, which will be the most significant since Hasler’s arrival in 2012, have emerged in the wake of the club’s meek 28-12 finals exit last weekend against Penrith.

The Sunday Telegraph has learned the board’s demands for change are already under way, with recruitment guru Noel “Crusher” Cleal unable to agree to terms on a new deal for next season.

The departure of Cleal will not only come as a major shock to those within the game, but it also ends his close 30-year working relationship with Hasler.

“Unfortunately we could not reach mutually acceptable terms and we have agreed to part ways. I wish the Bulldogs all the best,’’ Cleal told The Sunday Telegraph.

Opening up about the Bulldogs’ season both on and off the field, Castle said the Dogs board, with Hasler remaining in charge, was hell-bent on returning Canterbury into a premiership force in 2017 and beyond.

“After the results over the last couple of years, the board is looking for some changes,’’ Castle said.

“We’re not happy with finishing seventh. That’s not where the Bulldogs see ourselves. The board recognises it’s important we look to make some changes and make changes that are going to see us in a better position for next year."

Asked if Hasler was certain to lead Canterbury in 2017, Castle said: “Yes. The board are in the final stages of negotiations over extending Des for two more years until 2019.’’

The strategic plan of the Bulldogs was bold, ambitious and daring.

But the plan also needs to be reassessed two years down the track.

“Is two grand finals by 2019 realistic? Perhaps not. Perhaps it should be one,’’ Castle said.

“But that’s the nature of strategic plans, they’re aspirational.

“The reality is, if you changed the name on top of that strategic plan from the Bulldogs to any of the 15 other clubs, it wouldn’t be that different.

“One-third of it is about football and the rest is about commercial and all of our commercial measures are up.

“We delivered more members than we’ve ever delivered before.”

David Riccio, Exclusive, The Sunday Telegraph
    September 18, 2016 12:00am

I read this article and started to think to my self……WOW!!!

Why can’t us Tigers have the same attitude as the Bulldogs? Love them or loathe them, they don’t accept mediocrity and making the top 8 regularly without winning a premiership frequently is NOT acceptable. Despite parts of our club being geographically close it does not have the same drive, WHY are we so weak? WHY does our team accept failure?

We all know the reputation of recent Bulldogs fans, but to their credit they don’t accept failure either and expect to win (or at least be in the grand final) premiership on the regular. WHY are we the Wests Tigers fans not that demanding. It starts from the top I believe.

Please feel free to let me know you’re thoughts on this…

• Banned

Why does the great Club that is geographically local have the same drive? It is the demography. Balmain are rich, latte-sipping basket-weavers to sum it up. My brother lives there and set up a new junior soccer league there yonks ago - he had never played soccer in his life but wanted a safer game for his son.

Bulldog territory are Lebo and Islander migrants - good fertile ground where footie gives them pride, an identity and a better chance in life etc… they are more rough and tumble than nimby cotton-woolers of harbourside mansions. They even rumble the cops in Bulldog territory. Stereo-typing of course. Another mob in Bulldog territory also like to give the pokies a thrashing that also helps.

• Talk is talk
    When we talk like this people laugh…. When other clubs talk like this, people ask "why don’t we do this?
    They regularly make semis and thats it… Naturally they want more
    We regularly miss semis… Naturally we want more
    Difference is they’re talking premierships where we are talking finals… Because we can’t win a premiership without making the semis first… Which we’ve been unable to do

• Dogs apparently don’t accept failure, and 7th isn’t good enough, but the coach still gets a 2-yr contract extension.

Don’t get me wrong, I would love Hasler’s coaching record (Dogs made finals every year, GF twice), but there was plenty of noise for a change of head coach as Dogs are viewed to be on a general decline in form. Hasler has essentially saved his skin with a new strategic plan, which is code for “let me keep my job and I’ll hire and fire beneath me”.

Hasler also gets paid something like 3 times what Jason Taylor does, so you would expect better results from greater investment?

• Wouldn’t it feel great if the Tigers one day come 7th and our fans and management turn around and say let’s put a plan in to fix this failure?

• @wmlmaster:

Why can’t us Tigers have the same attitude as the Bulldogs? Love them or loathe them, they don’t accept mediocrity and making the top 8 regularly without winning a premiership frequently is NOT acceptable. Despite parts of our club being geographically close it does not have the same drive, WHY are we so weak? WHY does our team accept failure?

ummm the tigers do have the exact same attitude. top 4 finish in 2017 is the goal according to pascoe. i think a premiership was also in the plan by 2018 but i cant remember exactly

but when they tell people that, everyone including this forum just laughs at the club we supposedly support and say its impossible, and futile

much like they said that about our goal to make the 8 this year. very much doable

• Banned

@wmlmaster:

I read this article and started to think to my self……WOW!!!

I don’t think it’s this simple. We’ve had a tonne of plans that will lead us to premiership glory.

Should we have sacked JT last year ? Should we sack him this year ? Who should be sacked? We’ve had a lot of turnover anyway.

One team wins the comp each year. It’s hard to do.

I don’t think attitude wins you the comp. I think it’s a matter of getting a good squad, having some luck with injuries, having a good coach or a coach that is lucky and then maybe just getting some luck with how other teams perform or hitting form at the right time.

Personally I just want to see the club making steady improvements. We’ve bet a lot on Moses and Brooks coming good. We’ve bet a lot on Robbie going and our results improving because of that.

I like our squad. I think a few smart signings could turn us into a top 4 team. I think though we should have made the 8 based on the squad we have now.

• Banned

@innsaneink:

Talk is talk
    When we talk like this people laugh…. When other clubs talk like this, people ask "why don’t we do this?
    They regularly make semis and thats it… Naturally they want more
    We regularly miss semis… Naturally we want more
    Difference is they’re talking premierships where we are talking finals… Because we can’t win a premiership without making the semis first… Which we’ve been unable to do

I agree. I don’t want to hear anymore BS regarding our 5 year plans or how we are going to fix our defence.

• @wmlmaster:

Wouldn’t it feel great if the Tigers one day come 7th and our fans and management turn around and say let’s put a plan in to fix this failure?

We came ninth this year which is only two off Bulldogs. I believe we will improve in 2017 with an even greater improvement in 2018.

• @Newtown:

@wmlmaster:

Wouldn’t it feel great if the Tigers one day come 7th and our fans and management turn around and say let’s put a plan in to fix this failure?

We came ninth this year which is only two off Bulldogs. I believe we will improve in 2017 with an even greater improvement in 2018.

True….but we consider it somewhat a success and they consider it a fail

• Banned

@wmlmaster:

@Newtown:

@wmlmaster:

I definitely don’t consider this season a success. There were some good moments but it’s another year of underperformance.

I really doubt the club sees it as a success as well.

• @stevetiger:

@wmlmaster:

@Newtown:

@wmlmaster:

I definitely don’t consider this season a success. There were some good moments but it’s another year of underperformance.

It frustrates me, I just wish our fans in general (not all) expect more. We deserve it.

I just want it to be more regular where the season kicks off and others say wish we didn’t have to play the Tigers

• @wmlmaster:

@stevetiger:

@wmlmaster:

@Newtown:

It frustrates me, I just wish our fans in general (not all) expect more. We deserve it.

I just want it to be more regularly featured in the finals and not to just make numbers. Before the season kicks off I want others to say “wish we didn’t have to play the Tigers”

• @Newtown:

@wmlmaster:

Why should we improve next year with no notable signings and the same coach? It seems again we will be relying on the brilliance of a few players to win games, which is not a winning formula. It didn’t make the finals this year, and it won’t most years.

• with all the money and massive forwards, they had an average season, and than eliminated in the first round,
    IMHO Taylor would not be worst 😃

Good to see bubbling enthusiasm from our forumers 😃

Recent Topics