Physical Performance review 2016..

• ForumSupporter

Marcus Kain reviews Physical Performance in 2016

Dan Talintyre (Twitter: @dantalintyre)

Tue 20th September, 02:00PM
    A A

Wests Tigers Head of Physical Performance Marcus Kain reflects on a positive 2016 for the Club, despite missing the top eight with a final round defeat to the Raiders.

As Head of Physical Performance, Kain said the coaching staff were pleased overall with the efforts of the the young team, saying they had made superb progress from the start of pre-season and would be in a strong position to improve physically heading into 2017.

“It was another long season, but going close to the top eight was great,” he said.

"We knew there was going to be a lot more emphasis on the players’ running loads this year with the interchange rule changing, and we adjusted their training accordingly.

"We as coaches feel they were much better in that this season.

"We know that we need to step it up again in 2017, though.

“There’s a bit of gap to those top teams, so we need to hit the ground running in early November and give the players every chance to be in their best possible shape come March.”

In particular, Kain highlighted the efforts of Wests Tigers NRL Player of the Year Mitchell Moses, as well as NRL Rookie of the Year Josh Aloiai and forward Ava Seumanufagai.

“Mitch has won a lot of awards this season for his talent and performances, but if you look physically at what he provided for us, it’s also something worth noting,” Kain enthused.

"He played every game for us except one, where he was ruled out in the warmup, and played 80 minutes in all those games, so Mitch was exceptional from an aerobic point of view.

“In the forward, Josh Aloiai was great because we didn’t get much with him during pre-season, and big Ava Seumanufagai off the bench showed some really good signs during the year.”

With pre-season training set to resume in November for those not associated with any of the representative teams (Samoa, Fiji, PNG, Australia, New Zealand and Prime Minister’s XIII), Kain provided an update on several players who have had surgery heading into the off-season, saying that all players will be eligible for selection again come Round 1, 2017.

“Tim Simona, JJ Felise and Bayley Sironen have all had shoulder surgery,” he said.

"They’ll all come back through rehab and be on track for Round 1 next year.

“Matt Ballin has started some light running, and he’s on track for Round 1 too. We’ll keep taking our time with him and making sure that he’s right for the start of the year.”

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2016/09/20/marcus_kain_reviews_.html

• Matt Ballin on track… Good News

Edit: We were told the same last year tho

• I read as far as here……

"It was another long season, but > going close to the top eight was great,> " he said.

…and I have a problem.

This is the culture of mediocrity people talk about…it gives me the craps no end.

As for the rest of it…yeh, terrific

• Banned

@innsaneink:

I read as far as here……

"It was another long season, but > going close to the top eight was great,> " he said.

…and I have a problem.

This is the culture of mediocrity people talk about…it gives me the craps no end.

100% agreed.
    Just another pathetic puff piece

• @stryker:

@innsaneink:

I read as far as here……

…and I have a problem.

100% agreed.

Same old waffle every year.Yet no doubt many will believe it because it is what they want to hear.As for the statement that “going close to the top 8 was great” no it wasnt it was yet another failure.

• Banned

@stryker:

@innsaneink:

I read as far as here……

…and I have a problem.

100% agreed.

Yep, Bulldogs find coming 7th unacceptable and are doing something about, but we think it’s great getting to close to the top eight 😒

• I don’t know how people can rubbish this article. It is one area we have made big improvement since Taylor took over. It also stands to reason a lot of the young kids will be better after another preseason in the gym.

• Still room for improvement so they really need to push the guys harder during the offseason. I’d like to see each player become physically stronger as there were a few games where our forwards just weren’t in physically in the contest and that really bothers me, I hate seeing the team get steamrolled through the middle, it just puts the entire team on the backfoot.

• It’s just PR garbage for the members. The corporate machine of marina is in full swing. If only we had results to keep us happy

• @supercoach:

I don’t know how people can rubbish this article. It is one area we have made big improvement since Taylor took over. It also stands to reason a lot of the young kids will be better after another preseason in the gym.

Think potter took the first steps and massively reduced injuries. Stand to be corrected by others who pay more attention than me of course. Lots of off season surgery finest smack of preventing injuries though

• @Flippedy:

@stryker:

@innsaneink:

I read as far as here……

…and I have a problem.

100% agreed.

Yep, Bulldogs find coming 7th unacceptable and are doing something about, but we think it’s great getting to close to the top eight 😒

Your exactly right !!! Many of WT fans accept mediocrity and it makes me sick

• @supercoach:

I don’t know how people can rubbish this article. It is one area we have made big improvement since Taylor took over. It also stands to reason a lot of the young kids will be better after another preseason in the gym.

I don’t know how you accept these fluff pieces.

What irritates me even more is our fans keep making excuses for our “young kids” which are starting to become Peter Pans (they NEVER grow up) as they are men now who play in professional first grade and we as fans should expect them to be just that……professionals who should get results.

Have a look at the Penrith team who made the finals and they are very similar in age group. Players should be at their peak between 20 to 25 which is now

• @wmlmaster:

@supercoach:

What irritates me even more is our fans keep making excuses for our “young kids” which are starting to become Peter Pans (they NEVER grow up) as they are men now who play in professional first grade and we as fans should expect them to be just that……professionals who should get results.

Have a look at the Penrith team who made the finals and they are very similar in age group. Players should be at their peak between 20 to 25 which is now

I am not making excuses all I am saying that the S&C department has made big steps forward from a few years ago. I also think that our young kids will be a lot bigger and stronger after a pre season in the gym. As for Penrith yes they have a similar age group as us but most them bar Moylan and Cleary are big physical units.

sure this is a little bit of offseason propaganda, but what do you want??? Do you want hear nothing from the club at all till pre season next year. Anyway from where I sit the S&C department are doing a very good job unlike some other departments

• @supercoach:

@wmlmaster:

@supercoach:

I am not making excuses all I am saying that the S&C department has made big steps forward from a few years ago. I also think that our young kids will be a lot bigger and stronger after a pre season in the gym. As for Penrith yes they have a similar age group as us but most them bar Moylan and Cleary are big physical units.

sure this is a little bit of offseason propaganda, but what do you want??? Do you want hear nothing from the club at all till pre season next year. Anyway from where I sit the S&C department are doing a very good job unlike some other departments

Agree with you SC our team has improved in this area significantly. And I think that was needed and agree that another off season will help build strength.

I’m not sure about Penriths success next year, I’m tipping they will be one of the clubs that drop out of the 8, second year syndrome for Cleary??? Maybe???

None of us are accepting of mediocrity!! But this year was an improvement on the last couple of years, can we not enjoy that?

I also agree that we can’t keep saying its young team, they are getting paid the full salary and have played 50 or more 1st grade games. I wish the media would stop calling them young as well!

• @Flippedy:

@stryker:

@innsaneink:

I read as far as here……

…and I have a problem.

100% agreed.

Well Flip,the Dogs have come down the ladder having a premiership coach and huge talented squad……we were equal last on the ladder with a very young inexperienced squad and not a premiership winning coach last year and this year we finished 9th just outside the 8…well done to the club…

Recent Topics