Update concerning Ray Stone....

• A few weeks ago I said I would ask his Aunty where he is going next season,he has a great deal with Parramatta starting in November,the Tigers didnt want to offer him more….His Aunt said he is going to have surgery before starting with the Eels on a shoulder, he played injured for the Tigers on many occasions…part of the deal is accommodation for him and his partner as well as a job…hope this can clarify things for you guys,I spoke to his Aunt today after golf…cheers…

• Thanks for the update. I hope he can make a decent go of it notwithstanding the fact he’s on the small side. He seems to have plenty of heart.

• Job, accomodation. Does that all go against Parra’s salary cap? Did they learn nothing?
    More top shelf roster management by the tigers. Believe he is still eligible for the 20’s next year, why would you bring a player into the 20’s system at 18 and not have them under contact until their last eligible season

• Tough one.
    Whilst he has loads of potential I just can’t see how he gets in ahead of some of the other guys we have already there, and the bunch that are coming through. Right decision by him I think.

• @Harvey:

Job, accomodation. Does that all go against Parra’s salary cap? Did they learn nothing?
    More top shelf roster management by the tigers. Believe he is still eligible for the 20’s next year, why would you bring a player into the 20’s system at 18 and not have them under contact until their last eligible season

the salary cap doesnt exist

• @Harvey:

Job, accomodation. Does that all go against Parra’s salary cap? Did they learn nothing?

Yep, anything which Parra pays Stone or his family counts under the cap. eg You can’t offer him 50k but give his partner a 120k admin job…!

They can’t offer him accommodation, i don’t even know what that means. Kids coming into the 20s especially from out of town often houseshare with one another. But a club can’t pay a players rent or get him cheap rent or anything like that. If they do, it comes out of the cap so what’s the point?

Would Parra really be paying him that much?? He’s a hard working, but very small forward with a history of injuries and numerous concussions. Can you imagine him playing first grade against the raiders pack when players with 20-30kgs more than him struggle to put them down?

I’ve always liked him but can’t see him ever playing first grade. Maybe a solid nsw cup player at best. His defensive technique put him in all sorts of troubles when he doesn’t get it perfect.

• @Kavi:

@Harvey:

For the 20’s the club can (and should) provide accomodation.

We had a young forward at our work who used to work in the hanger. The NRL subsidised his wage (as they have to be either studying or learning a trade as well) and a “friend of the raiders” put him up in their home rent free.

I think this is great, he is after all a 18 year old moving away from his family to a new town. It’s great that he also gets a roof over his head and a job. Gives them stability, a support network and life outside football.

Obviously there is a big difference to providing him accomodation with a family and flat out giving them a house which is why I think accomodation is only allowed to be provided to them whilst they are playing in under 20’s and not a top tier contract.

• I love the bloke but he plays the game in a way that will see him crippled by 25 with CTE at the rate he is getting hurt. I worry for him.

Last time Parra signed a defensive forward with long hair from our under 20s he came back homesick midway through the next season and ended up playing some first grade with us.

• Ray Stone reminds me of Tyler Cassel - tenacious in defence but ultimately just that little bit too small to last for long periods in the forwards, too slow for the backs. Eventually the head goes in the wrong place in a tackle and there are issues.

Liam Fulton is the archetype for a style of footballer that is getting phased out of the game - the lightweight tackle machine. Fulton had a good bit of skill and hole running that made him a bit more effective in attack, but thin + tall players mixing it in the forwards are such an ongoing concussion risk, and that isn’t tolerated in the modern game.

• ForumSupporter

Can’t keep them all…I liked Stone but he is a fair way off NRL…wish him the best…

• Lets hope the trade off (if there is any ) is as good as the trade off we got last season with Aloiai for Matthew Woods

I can’t see Stone cracking it in the NRL unless he can find some bulk quickly

• He’s decent in the 20’s but I fear with his size and playing style, he’ll be cannonfodder if he ever makes FG. Good luck to him at the Eels but as far as forwards go, size and mobility is the way of the future.

• @Kavi:

@Harvey:

the salary cap doesnt exist

The Gold Coast gave Scott Prince “accomodation” didn’t they? 😲

Recent Topics