Wests Tigers side to play in the 20 .. NRL Grand Final

• Wonder when people think we will ever see this thread ??

Well and truly overdue , that’s for sure

• Should’ve been 2010 &/or 2011. Let’s hope the next one isn’t too far off!

• 7 years

• ForumSupporter

Wests Tigers will go back to back to back to back in 2017 2018 2019 and 2020….

Rowdy Lawrence 4 consecutive Clive Churchill’ss…

Hope that answers your question,

• We’re years away from playing in a premiership decider. Years….

• @willow:

We’re years away from playing in a premiership decider. Years….

Thats what I thought in 2004

• Hopefully in my lifetime(i am 63).

• Think we’ve got to concentrate on making the finals first….that could be a challenge all on its own. But '18 or '19 would be ideal I reckon.

• To be honest I think that a lot of this will come down to who we re-sign and who we lose at the end of 2017. If we keep the big guns, I think we could be reading this thread before 2020. If we lose them, I fear it will mean years of rebuilding, and could almost be terminal for the club.

• If Idris clicks, then who knows?

• In theory it doesn’t take as long as it might appear to completely turn over a roster. In 2011 the Sharks finished 13th. Here are all the players who made at least a dozen first-grade appearances for them that year:

• Colin Best
    • Luke Douglas
    • Paul Gallen
    • Nathan Gardner
    • Wade Graham
    • John Morris
    • Ben Pomeroy
    • Jeremy Smith
    • Kade Snowden
    • Nathan Stapleton
    • Anthony Tupou
    • John Williams
    • Matthew Wright

Looking down their squad list there aren’t many of the names that matter to them now - Tagatese was there, and Chad Townsend (who left and came back between then and now). But that’s pretty much it. So basically three of their core players from 2016 were in or close to first grade five years ago.

Five years seems like a long time but the reality is that pretty much any squad will have completely turned over in that time. The thing that kills teams is having massive legacy contracts that stops them being flexible.

• @2041:

In theory it doesn’t take as long as it might appear to completely turn over a roster. In 2011 the Sharks finished 13th. Here are all the players who made at least a dozen first-grade appearances for them that year:

• Colin Best
    • Luke Douglas
    • Paul Gallen
    • Nathan Gardner
    • Wade Graham
    • John Morris
    • Ben Pomeroy
    • Jeremy Smith
    • Kade Snowden
    • Nathan Stapleton
    • Anthony Tupou
    • John Williams
    • Matthew Wright

Looking down their squad list there aren’t many of the names that matter to them now - Tagatese was there, and Chad Townsend (who left and came back between then and now). But that’s pretty much it. So basically three of their core players from 2016 were in or close to first grade five years ago.

Five years seems like a long time but the reality is that pretty much any squad will have completely turned over in that time. The thing that kills teams is having massive legacy contracts that stops them being flexible.

Here are the 12-game players from the 2010 Cowboys (who finished 15th):

• Leeson Ah Mau
    • Scott Bolton
    • Matt Bowen
    • Ashley Graham
    • Willie Mason
    • Luke O’Donnell
    • Aaron Payne
    • Grant Rovelli
    • Matt Scott
    • Jonathan Thurston
    • Willie Tonga
    • Will Tupou
    • John Williams

Other relevant players in the squad: Michael Morgan, James Tamou, Jason Taumalolo, Ray Thompson.

The lessons for the Tigers are, clearly, to sign John Williams and someone called Tupou. This seems to guarantee being five years out from a grand final.

• @willow:

We’re years away from playing in a premiership decider. Years….

Cannot disagree with that. I was very hopeful seeing Brooks and Moses come through however Brooks has not kicked on. I go on and on about this but we should have kept TMM over Brooks. But friends are friends.

There needs to be a lot done off the field financially first it seems with the club. I honestly believe we will have to wait until around 2023-2025

• @2041:

In theory it doesn’t take as long as it might appear to completely turn over a roster. In 2011 the Sharks finished 13th. Here are all the players who made at least a dozen first-grade appearances for them that year:

• Colin Best
    • Luke Douglas
    • Paul Gallen
    • Nathan Gardner
    • Wade Graham
    • John Morris
    • Ben Pomeroy
    • Jeremy Smith
    • Kade Snowden
    • Nathan Stapleton
    • Anthony Tupou
    • John Williams
    • Matthew Wright

This one will be fun - 2009 Souths (finished 10th). 12-game players:

• Roy Asotasi
    • Colin Best
    • Beau Champion
    • David Fa’alogo
    • Ben Lowe
    • Isaac Luke
    • Nathan Merritt
    • Chris Sandow
    • Jamie Simpson
    • Luke Stuart
    • John Sutton
    • Fetuli Talanoa

Other relevant players: Jason Clark, Chris McQueen.

• @2041:

• Colin Best
    • Luke Douglas
    • Paul Gallen
    • Nathan Gardner
    • Wade Graham
    • John Morris
    • Ben Pomeroy
    • Jeremy Smith
    • Kade Snowden
    • Nathan Stapleton
    • Anthony Tupou
    • John Williams
    • Matthew Wright

To support your point event further, they finished dead last in 2014, though admittedly that was affected by the ASADA stuff and a number of injuries.
    We played them at Leichhardt in an appalling spectacle in rd 26.
    The teams that day:

Teams
    Fullback 6. Blake AUSTIN 1. Michael GORDON
    Wing 1. Jy HITCHCOX 2. Sosaia FEKI
    Centre 3. Asipeli FINE 3. Blake AYSHFORD
    Centre 4. Chris LAWRENCE 4. Ricky LEUTELE
    Wing 5. Sitaleki AKAUOLA 5. Valentine HOLMES

Five-Eighth 7. Mitchell MOSES 6. Daniel HOLDSWORTH
    Halfback 18. Luke BROOKS 7. Jeff ROBSON ©

Front Row 8. Aaron WOODS 8. Tim ROBINSON
    Hooker 9. Robbie FARAH © 14. Pat POLITONI
    Front Row 10. Matt LODGE 10. Matt PRIOR