2017 Squad

• Anyone know who remains from this years squad?
    Other than Papenhazen,Stone,Moses Suli,Tony Tali,Paseka

• Stone gone apparently

• NRL Profiles
    Taniela Paseka

NYC Profiles
    Blake Higgins
    Connelly Lemuelu
    Corey Kurnoth [Spelt incorrectly on the website]
    Daniel Peck
    Daniel Roberts
    Edward Carter
    Hosea Leuea
    Jai Doolan
    Jake Scott
    Jakob Giles
    Jamin Williams
    Jarrod Thompkins
    Josh Bermingham
    Junior Wright
    Kelepi Lui
    Kereti Tautaiolefua
    Lenny Sauni
    Liam Pakau
    Moses Suli
    Niall Walker
    Oscar Tui
    Peter Pakoti
    PJ Mati-Leifi
    Rhys Sciglitano
    Royce Tout
    Ryan Papenhuyzen
    Siaosi Toti Fatafehi Nasilai
    Thomas Mikaele
    Toa Mata’afa
    Tony Tali
    Trent Pye

• Jakob Giles > Ray Stone

• @Demps:

Jakob Giles > Ray Stone

I’d agree with that. Stone just has that lack of size which was already apparent at NYC level. Will always have troubles with injuries.

In general some of the new boys appear quite promising. Leumuelu is much bigger than I thought he was (if his stats are actually accurate). 190cm 90kgs is quite big for an 18 year old fullback/5-8. Reminds me of a corey norman type player.

Mikaele also is listed as being bigger than he looked on the field, but then he was often standing alongside Haas at Keebra.

Hopefully Roberts can lead this team around the field well. As usual they look like they’ve got some decent quality all over the field.

• Congratulations to Thomas Mikaele on his selection in the QLD U20 Emerging Squad
    http://www.qrl.com.au/news/2016/12/19/queensland_under_20_.html

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2016/12/19/mikaele_named_in_u_2.html

• Nice to see Peck

• It’s a very young squad but there’s some good talent scattered throughout. We look strong in the front row, backrow, centres and fullback, but 9, 6 and 7 could prove to be a struggle.

• I sent a message to my mate who is an assistant coach at the Jets about Mikaele as he used to play in the Ipswich comp

Said he was far an above the best player in his age group , a real wrecking machine

• @happy tiger:

I sent a message to my mate who is an assistant coach at the Jets about Mikaele as he used to play in the Ipswich comp

Said he was far an above the best player in his age group , a real wrecking machine

Sure he wasn’t talking about Haas? 🙏

Young props who are are not only dominant players but also captains indicate a potential star of the future. It suggests they not only have the skill, but a mindset befitting of a leader and someone who could apply himself to give them the best shot at making the step up.

• @Balmain Boy:

@happy tiger:

I sent a message to my mate who is an assistant coach at the Jets about Mikaele as he used to play in the Ipswich comp

Young props who are are not only dominant players but also captains indicate a potential star of the future. It suggests they not only have the skill, but a mindset befitting of a leader and someone who could apply himself to give them the best shot at making the step up.

Wouldn’t know where Haas is from

Mikaele comes from the Goodna side

• @happy tiger:

@Balmain Boy:

@happy tiger:

Goodna = Wolsten Park Mental Asylum

Did you play for them?

• @Tiger Watto:

@happy tiger:

@Balmain Boy:

@happy tiger:

Goodna = Wolsten Park Mental Asylum

Did you play for them?

Nah wasn’t good enough

Believe you Captained Coached them at the prime of your career 😉

• @Demps:

Jakob Giles > Ray Stone

Giles was ultra impressive last year. In a star studded pack (admitted the majority of the stars were generally injured or playing up a grade) you could argue that he was our best forward in 2016.

Stone didnt kick on from a great 2015. Injuries didnt help and he isnt a front rower. Wish him all the best but to me he’s going to be another Santi.

• I said earlier in the season that I rated Giles higher than I do Marsters and I still stand by that. Marsters is a highlight reel player, like Liolevave was. Involved in tries (scoring or setting up) but little else. If he can lift the other areas of his game he could be excellent.

Giles on the other hand looked like a player who gives 110%, was very sound in defence, wasn’t afraid to dive on a loose ball or chase back in cover defence, and could make decent metres in attack working off his line. Like a bigger and more powerful version of Lovett. They’re the sort of players you need in your pack. Able to make 30-40 tackles, make 12 odd hitups for around 100m on a regular basis, threaten the line a bit, and not make too many errors.

Of course not all juniors who can do this can step it up to the next level. As Giles takes on a more senior role this season i hope he’ll be able to kick it up a notch again.

Recent Topics