Duterte's War on Drugs

• Banned

Philippine Rod Duterte’s war on drugs surely is a mixed plate. An Australian man was wrongly charged and luckily for CCTV cameras that were not sabotaged he got off. But just hearing Andrew Forrest on TV about ice epidemic in Australian Indigenous communities and thought if someone had taken out those ice pushers in Australia then many more innocent people would be alive - this is Duterte’s exact argument.

The Philippines can much less finance rehabilitation than Australia can and in Australia there is a mile long line. Users become pushers to afford their habit - so it has resulted in a deadly spiral of drug dens in the Philippines of dozens of people.

Australia has taken the soft approach for about 40 years and the epidemic goes on - at least Duterte is trying something different.

• Anybody who thinks Trump is crazy should take a look at this moron.
    Instead of trying to help his people out of poverty he goes on ridiculous rampages on whatever cause takes his fancy, with no regard to any innocent people it might affect.
    This is a man who joked it was horrible that an attractive Australian missionary woman was raped and killed by prisoners - because he should have been first in line to have sex with her.
    He has killed close to 4000 drug users (note - not only drug dealers but anybody using even what we consider recreational drugs) in most cases on the street without trial.
    He compares himself with Hitler getting rid of the Jews.
    He called Obama the son of a whore (great thinking when most of your aid comes from America) and called the Pope the same because his visit caused a traffic jam.
    To top it off he recently came out and called the US Ambassador the ‘gay son of a whore’ for ‘pissing me off’ and said he’s off to China to see what they can offer him.
    This from a man controlling a country of 100 million people struggling to feed themselves.
    This is a true psychopath.

• For someone who lives in Byron Bay and has such a pure leftist way of looking at things, I’m truly surprised with your position here BBF.

The man is a tyrant. Summary executions and inflammatory international presence. I remember bloke back in the 30’s and 40’s who behaved like that.

• @Cultured Bogan:

For someone who lives in Byron Bay and has such a pure leftist way of looking at things, I’m truly surprised with your position here BBF.

The man is a tyrant. Summary executions and inflammatory international presence. I remember bloke back in the 30’s and 40’s who behaved like that.

Which one though CB ??

The Emperor , the Mad Man or the Commie ??

• The one who started a war that killed 55 million people. But yes you’re right he wasn’t on his own.

• Banned

@cktiger:

Anybody who thinks Trump is crazy should take a look at this moron.
    Instead of trying to help his people out of poverty he goes on ridiculous rampages on whatever cause takes his fancy, with no regard to any innocent people it might affect.
    This is a man who joked it was horrible that an attractive Australian missionary woman was raped and killed by prisoners - because he should have been first in line to have sex with her.
    He has killed close to 4000 drug users (note - not only drug dealers but anybody using even what we consider recreational drugs) in most cases on the street without trial.
    He compares himself with Hitler getting rid of the Jews.
    He called Obama the son of a whore (great thinking when most of your aid comes from America) and called the Pope the same because his visit caused a traffic jam.
    To top it off he recently came out and called the US Ambassador the ‘gay son of a whore’ for ‘pissing me off’ and said he’s off to China to see what they can offer him.
    This from a man controlling a country of 100 million people struggling to feed themselves.
    This is a true psychopath.

Being drug addicted is another form of poverty, it can even bring well off people to be poverty-stricken. Recreational drugs does discriminate amongst the classes because the rich can afford rehab. and escape the consequences. Whereas the poor who get hooked cannot have rehab. and become a permanent burden and victim. That is to permanently wreck their own lives and that of their families. The country cannot afford the little fortune for rehab. and as more addicts are being created every day Duterte is short-circuiting the supply.

If this had been done in the Indigenous community out west many lives would have also been saved. The pusher only left town safely ages later when the population got jobs and struggling to get over the drugs, there was sort of record suicides occurring.

In the Philippines there are not enough prisons, lawyers etc. for due process and Duterte states his stance is to save another generation. He has stated that the family of the pusher/addict cannot eliminate the pusher/addict so that has to be done for them. Like doing them a favour. If this rough justice is not melted out what alternative is there? Drug use has grown exponentially in recent years. About 75% of the population is in favour of the method Duterte is using. They see and suffer from the problem first hand.

• This guy is an absolute nutter.

I wonder how many innocent people have been killed as a result of his war on drugs.

There is a part of me that says is there an alternative cause how many innocent lives have been lost as a result of the actions of addicts and dealers.

Whilst i enjoyed the threads about some of the happy times of my youth, i saw what heroin did to a lot of people in Sydney and now hear second hand what ice is doing and our government needs to take a hard line on those found producing and selling this stuff!

• Banned

@Tiger Come Lately:

This guy is an absolute nutter.

I wonder how many innocent people have been killed as a result of his war on drugs.

There is a part of me that says is there an alternative cause how many innocent lives have been lost as a result of the actions of addicts and dealers.

Whilst i enjoyed the threads about some of the happy times of my youth, i saw what heroin did to a lot of people in Sydney and now hear second hand what ice is doing and our government needs to take a hard line on those found producing and selling this stuff!

For about half a century of course all of Australia agreed to the (soft) imprisonment option but as you hint where did it get us. We have guys in max security for decades and it does not deter them at all - still carrying business via mobile phones etc. . That is exactly what Duterte says, prison does not scare them, it is only the death penalty that scares them.

About 600,000 pushers/addicts have already surrendered in the Philippines, Duterte wants another 1.2 million to surrender, he is very sensitive, he apologised to the nation that he cannot clean up the problem in six months like he promised in election speeches, a lot worse that he thought he stated, so he asked for an extension of another year to do the “clean up”. I have always been on the side of due process and human rights absolutely except this time I am split. (I have even canvassed for such in the Philippines from Australia). But I ponder that if Duterte stops the problem over there will never be solved - there are narco politicians there who thrive on drug money and wipe out any opposition. Whether it be opposing drug runners or do-gooders trying to clean the place up.

The biggest question is that Duterte is still alive - he hasn’t been knocked off yet. But he states he is prepared to die for the cause and that he only lives once and if that is his destiny then so be it.

It is alleged that he had is daughters boyfriend knocked off because he did not approve.

When thinking about the Pope’s visit, he could have came at mid-night to avoid clogging up the city for half a day.

• It’s a green light for extrajudicial executions. I don’t see how it can be defended at all.

• @Byron Bay Fan:

@Tiger Come Lately:

This guy is an absolute nutter.

For about half a century of course all of Australia agreed to the (soft) imprisonment option but as you hint where did it get us. We have guys in max security for decades and it does not deter them at all - still carrying business via mobile phones etc. . That is exactly what Duterte says, prison does not scare them, it is only the death penalty that scares them.

About 600,000 pushers/addicts have already surrendered in the Philippines, Duterte wants another 1.2 million to surrender, he is very sensitive, he apologised to the nation that he cannot clean up the problem in six months like he promised in election speeches, a lot worse that he thought he stated, so he asked for an extension of another year to do the “clean up”. I have always been on the side of due process and human rights absolutely except this time I am split. (I have even canvassed for such in the Philippines from Australia). But I ponder that if Duterte stops the problem over there will never be solved - there are narco politicians there who thrive on drug money and wipe out any opposition. Whether it be opposing drug runners or do-gooders trying to clean the place up.

The biggest question is that Duterte is still alive - he hasn’t been knocked off yet. But he states he is prepared to die for the cause and that he only lives once and if that is his destiny then so be it.

It is alleged that he had is daughters boyfriend knocked off because he did not approve.

When thinking about the Pope’s visit, he could have came at mid-night to avoid clogging up the city for half a day.

That would have to go down as the most ridiculous thing ever said on this forum.

• Summary executions are OK Byron? What are you, a revolutionary communist?

• Banned

@Cultured Bogan:

Summary executions are OK Byron? What are you, a revolutionary communist?

Or do you let the country almost totally go to the doghouse instead? I have lived in villages over there and drugs are a big problem - used by rich and poor. Every village has a few pushers. Often are relos so they don’t get dobbed in (until now).

The rich virtually don’t pay tax, so due process and rehab for a few million will fall on those less able to pay.

The president is doing many other very important things to ease the burden of the lower classes there, revolutionary stuff compared to previous presidents, they only talked and often ripped off the country. That is the reason he is still popular. If he does not make a difference no one will.

In comparison Turnbull is a total BS blusterer who couldn’t burst a paper bag.

• @Byron Bay Fan:

@Cultured Bogan:

Summary executions are OK Byron? What are you, a revolutionary communist?

Or do you let the country almost totally go to the doghouse instead? I have lived in villages over there and drugs are a big problem - used by rich and poor. Every village has a few pushers. Often are relos so they don’t get dobbed in (until now).

The rich virtually don’t pay tax, so due process and rehab for a few million will fall on those less able to pay.

The president is doing many other very important things to ease the burden of the lower classes there, revolutionary stuff compared to previous presidents, they only talked and often ripped off the country. That is the reason he is still popular. If he does not make a difference no one will.

In comparison Turnbull is a total BS blusterer who couldn’t burst a paper bag.

So some lives are more expendable than others? What about due process? Does that go out the window because they’re a poor country? Some of those people are probably selling because the alternative is to starve.

• Geez Byron, I am truly suprised by this thread. Maybe you have been sampling a bit yourself.

• Banned

@formerguest:

Geez Byron, I am truly suprised by this thread. Maybe you have been sampling a bit yourself.

Well Snake is concerned about how we will cope with the long off season, he was not impressed with a previous attempt of mine.

Recent Topics