Halloween

• Can people believe how big it is now ??

I was saying to the Mrs about 5 years ago we didn’t get one person knock on the door , in years past you might get 5-6 maximum

Now there are literally hundreds walking the streets

We went pass a haunted house before and there was literally 50-60 people waiting outside lined up to go inside

Bloody Americans infecting our kids with their witchcraft ,hocus pocus

Wondering what others think ??

• Had to fill the lolly bowl five times tonight. It’s big with the little kids a parent leading them around.
    Yeah it’s American, but Australians take any opportunity to have a party, so I don’t mind the whole thing

• I used to oppose it, saying it was too American, but that stopped when I saw how much the little kids love it. We had 60 lolly bags made up tonight and they went pretty quick.

• If it makes the kids happy so be it.

• The missus took our 6 and 3 year old boys out, the 6yo dressed as a zombie covered in fake blood and makeup and the 3yo went as the red power ranger. They absolutely loved it!! We gave out four big bowls of lollies and the kids all had a great time. As far as i’m concerned it’s no less relevant to us than all the other pagan holidays that have been borrowed by more modern culture. You don’t hear anyone saying Christmas is too American do you?!?

• Its actually an old Celtic festival.

• Banned

I have a sign on my front warning of big snakes with approp. scary pic - seems to do the job - neither the snake or halloweeners disturb me. Most of my neighbours are too snobby, up themselves and selfish to have children.

• Nobody knocked on our door, second year running since we moved to a house. I don’t really look forward to the day my kids want to do this stuff, they are too young right now, but I reckon it’s daft and reeks of America.

Also, 31st Oct is not necessarily a weekend so you are supposed to work, get your kids together and out scouting, then some how get them home, fed and in bed before you roll back around to work the next day.

Maybe it fosters some sense of community but I’m not a fan of knocking on people’s doors and I’m not a fan of the increasing weight of public pressure to be involved.

• ForumSupporter

It’s simple…Some kids knocked on my door and said trick or treat … I said trick watch me disappear and shut the door…

• Yeah we went out grabbed some sweets and gave some out

My point was has it exploded so quickly everywhere ??

Up here if your outside light is on you are giving out sweets if not your not

• I like it. Anything that makes people engage more and create any kind of community atmosphere.

No one plays on the street and in the Neighbourhood anymore. If kids are walking around with there parents outside and meeting the neighbours I really don’t care what their wearing.

• I was handing out Bundy Rum Miniatures this year… The looks were hilarious

• A little fat kid in just his school uniform with a plastic woolies bag rocked up to my door a few years ago….no effort/no reward.
    He hasnt been back.
    Dont get any in my area now…must be the shootings

• @Bob:

I like it. Anything that makes people engage more and create any kind of community atmosphere.

No one plays on the street and in the Neighbourhood anymore. If kids are walking around with there parents outside and meeting the neighbours I really don’t care what their wearing.

I’m with Bob. About a month ago someone put a note in our post box with a sticker on it inviting us to place the sticker on the postbox if we wanted to participate in the Halloween celebration. We thought it was a good idea.
    The kids and I carved some jackolanterns and had them lit out the front. My better half went trick or treating with the kids and I stayed home to scare the neighbourhood kids and hand out the lollies. I met new neighbours and had a good night.
    I suppose the Americans made it into a marketing mess but otherwise it is based in pagan tradition. Costumes were worn to confuse evil spirits so they would leave you alone. It is also the eve of the day of the dead, an ongoing, serious, ceremonial day celebrated in Europe and South America to honour the dead.
    Today, Nov 1, is the day of the dead.

• I don’t do Halloween as its American, Unhealthy and unsafe and above all de sensitises witchcraft and the Occult.

Recent Topics