Veiru Mapesone

• A lot to like about this kid - He’s big, Not a bad defender, Ballskills and Footwork… And like I said, He’s big.
    I THINK - We should be moving him to the Centres ASAP!!
    (It’s not like there is any future for him in the halves here)

He’s as good a chance (if not better) of making it there than anyone else we got coming through…

• What about 9… Do you reckon he can use those ball skills as back-up to Liddle?

You sound confident he can defend…

• I must admit I’m a fan of the kid from what I’ve seen

But then again I was also a fan of Milone from what I had seen ……

I don’t have an issue if the club wants to try him in NSW Cup for a season to see how he handles playing in the centres

As long as it doesn’t hinder any other centre candidates coming through though

I think our two biggest hopes for centres would be Heleta or Jacobs , but looking outside the square isn’t a bad thing especially if it means finding a diamond from the rough

Finding a centre from within would save us a heap of dough , to be honest there aren’t a heap of quality centres running around especially with Reed and Lyon retiring

• I reckon he looks more like a lock from what I have seen. If we lose ET then he might develop into the role of ball playing back rower in a few years. Also he can kick goals.

• @Tiger Watto:

What about 9… Do you reckon he can use those ball skills as back-up to Liddle?

You know that defending in the middle is a different beast all together mate,
    I’m confident in him - But I reckon he’s a bit bulky for a 9, He may slim up a bit?

Saw a lot of little benji there this year and he may be a smoky to be backup.
    Was a bit surprising really… Given time there he might make it a home.
    He’s not a sook when it comes to the dirty stuff…

• Can’t see him ever playing in the forwards. While he’s big for a half he’s still smaller than Fulton…

He’s a runner first and foremost. Good acceleration and footwork with a bit of power. Not a great playmaker, far too erratic and a fairly average kicking game. Centre might be worth a look.

• @batboy:

@Tiger Watto:

I’m confident in him - But I reckon he’s a bit bulky for a 9, He may slim up a bit?

Yeah I agree with you on JMK , he certainly has a heartbeat unlike his brother , but I worry whether he lacks that half a yard of speed to make it as an NRL hooker

• @happy tiger:

@batboy:

@Tiger Watto:

Yeah I agree with you on JMK , he certainly has a heartbeat unlike his brother , but I worry whether he lacks that half a yard of speed to make it as an NRL hooker

Me three, JMK was a real surprise packet in that regard and worth keeping an eye on.

• @batboy:

(It’s not like there is any future for him in the halves here)

there might be if brooks or moses leaves

• @Tiger Watto:

Thinking the same, the guy has a chunky build and has good footwork and a fair defender

• ForumSupporter

Defence is not that good to be a middle player at this stage…IMO

Mapesone improved his game dramatically from his early days in NYC especially his running game so a switch to the centres could be worth investigating…His passing and short kicking game is also a strength so I think they will persist with him in the halves …if he continues to improve his game they view will him as a backup for FG…

• I think as a halfback he offsets Moses beautifully. He is big and strong and has good hands.

His kicking game may be the only thing holding him back

• Well they named the 7 Holden Cup players joining the extended NRL squad and he wasn’t one of them.

Interestingly only one back in Ryland Jacobs was named with 6 forwards

• @happy tiger:

I must admit I’m a fan of the kid from what I’ve seen

But then again I was also a fan of Milone from what I had seen ……

I don’t have an issue if the club wants to try him in NSW Cup for a season to see how he handles playing in the centres

As long as it doesn’t hinder any other centre candidates coming through though

I think our two biggest hopes for centres would be Heleta or Jacobs , but looking outside the square isn’t a bad thing especially if it means finding a diamond from the rough

Finding a centre from within would save us a heap of dough , to be honest there aren’t a heap of quality centres running around especially with Reed and Lyon retiring

Heleta and Jacobs are good prospects. Moses Suli has the size and pace at around 100kg and over six feet to be a success. Tali also has that size and pace.

• I like what I have seen from him so far, he’s not afraid to take the line on and does have some size and strength on him which is a bonus. The type of player who could prove very handy close to the line or in one-on-one situations. Like all of the talented juniors we’ve seen come through, it will be interesting to see how he develops in the off-season and handles the step up next season.

Recent Topics