Armistice Day..

• ForumSupporter

98 years since the end of the War to end all Wars…

Those that died so I can enjoy the freedoms I have today I will remember them…

Lest We Forget…

• Today as I was putting my youngest daughter to sleep in my arms in an upstairs bedroom, @ 11am I picked her up and stood. I am so thankful on this day the 11 of the 11th as it avails me of the freedom that I value so much.

My parents were immigrants in the 70s and as such I have no direct relatives in the Great wars, however we are impacted as most by War. I know the pain.

We should all wake up and revere the sacrifice past and current of those who lost their lives and the families who carry the scars.

I love this place and whilst we are not perfect I wouldn’t swap being Aussie for anything else.

PS - My eldest is 13 today.

• Lest we forget

• Lest we forget.

Thank those who have served in all theatres or here at home in support.

• Lest we forget

• Lest we forget

• @Spartan117:

Today as I was putting my youngest daughter to sleep in my arms in an upstairs bedroom, @ 11am I picked her up and stood. I am so thankful on this day the 11 of the 11th as it avails me of the freedom that I value so much.

My parents were immigrants in the 70s and as such I have no direct relatives in the Great wars, however we are impacted as most by War. I know the pain.

We should all wake up and revere the sacrifice past and current of those who lost their lives and the families who carry the scars.

I love this place and whilst we are not perfect I wouldn’t swap being Aussie for anything else.

PS - My eldest is 13 today.

Beautifully said mate.

• Been watching a few programmes lately in regards to the battles on the Western Front

Never realized we were outnumbered 10-1 when we retook Villers Bretteneux

• @happy tiger:

Been watching a few programmes lately in regards to the battles on the Western Front

The stories that are recalled from that campaign and others such as Gallipoli just leave you speechless as to the bravery, mateship and fighting spirit of our Diggers. The conditions and hardships that they had to endure were just hell on earth, uncomprehendable to anybody who wasn’t there.
    Saw a documentary yesterday about Gallipoli detailing the fighting at The Nek where a wave of Diggers were forced to go over the top into almost certain death charging the Turkish trenches, they were slaughtered. 2 minutes later the commander’s whistle blew and the next line of soldiers went over and got decimated as well. Apparently a Turkish commander could not bear witness to this and implored the Aussies to stop coming, yelling out “No, stop!”. The 3rd wave of Diggers were told that they were to go over anyway and one of the men turned to his mate and uttered " Goodbye cobber, God bless you" before they charged over and were killed, that statement is written on that brave warrior’s headstone.
    Sat there with tears rolling down my face. What courage and mateship. Great men. So sad and what a senseless waste. I hope they Rest In Peace.

• @Fade To Black:

@happy tiger:

Been watching a few programmes lately in regards to the battles on the Western Front

The stories that are recalled from that campaign and others such as Gallipoli just leave you speechless as to the bravery, mateship and fighting spirit of our Diggers. The conditions and hardships that they had to endure were just hell on earth, uncomprehendable to anybody who wasn’t there.
    Saw a documentary yesterday about Gallipoli detailing the fighting at The Nek where a wave of Diggers were forced to go over the top into almost certain death charging the Turkish trenches, they were slaughtered. 2 minutes later the commander’s whistle blew and the next line of soldiers went over and got decimated as well. Apparently a Turkish commander could not bear witness to this and implored the Aussies to stop coming, yelling out “No, stop!”. The 3rd wave of Diggers were told that they were to go over anyway and one of the men turned to his mate and uttered " Goodbye cobber, God bless you" before they charged over and were killed, that statement is written on that brave warrior’s headstone.
    Sat there with tears rolling down my face. What courage and mateship. Great men. So sad and what a senseless waste. I hope they Rest In Peace.

Sends shivers down my spine reading stuff like this. And to think most of them were just kids. God bless the lot of them. What I really like is the way Turkey took our fallen as their own. I think it’s written in a poem on one of the Gallipoli monuments where they describe our fallen sons as now being their sons also. Pretty powerful stuff.

• Listening to an interview with a digger on radio yesterday, he was 20…enlisted, the interviwer asked if he had any inkling of what he was getting himself into.
    He replied when they were on the boat leaving Sydney Harbour, leaning on the railing as they went through the heads, he heard one bloke ask another if he wondered if theyd ever see the harbour again.

Hard to imagine

• @Geo.:

98 years since the end of the War to end all Wars…

Those that died so I can enjoy the freedoms I have today I will remember them…

Lest We Forget…

Love the guitar on that classic Oils song, simple yet so emotive, never tire of hearing it. A fitting tribute to Aussie heroes from a great Aussie band.

• @Fade To Black:

@happy tiger:

I’m pretty sure the Gallipoli movie with Mel Gibson and Mark Lee that very action you speak of is the final part of the movie when you see Mark Lee go over the wall just as Mel gets back from central command

• @Fade To Black:

@happy tiger:

If memory serves the battle I speak of they were either gassed that morning or the morning before by the Germans

And just think that Murdoch implored the Australian Govt at the time not to give Monash the role to lead the entire corp because he was a Jew ……

• @greatodensraven:

@Fade To Black:

@happy tiger:

Sends shivers down my spine reading stuff like this. And to think most of them were just kids. God bless the lot of them. What I really like is the way Turkey took our fallen as their own. I think it’s written in a poem on one of the Gallipoli monuments where they describe our fallen sons as now being their sons also. Pretty powerful stuff.

It was an open letter to all the Australian mothers and families of those that lost their lives in Gallipoli, written by Mustafa Kemal Ataturk.

Recent Topics