Armistice Day..

• @happy tiger:

@Fade To Black:

@happy tiger:

Been watching a few programmes lately in regards to the battles on the Western Front

Never realized we were outnumbered 10-1 when we retook Villers Bretteneux

The stories that are recalled from that campaign and others such as Gallipoli just leave you speechless as to the bravery, mateship and fighting spirit of our Diggers. The conditions and hardships that they had to endure were just hell on earth, uncomprehendable to anybody who wasn’t there.
    Saw a documentary yesterday about Gallipoli detailing the fighting at The Nek where a wave of Diggers were forced to go over the top into almost certain death charging the Turkish trenches, they were slaughtered. 2 minutes later the commander’s whistle blew and the next line of soldiers went over and got decimated as well. Apparently a Turkish commander could not bear witness to this and implored the Aussies to stop coming, yelling out “No, stop!”. The 3rd wave of Diggers were told that they were to go over anyway and one of the men turned to his mate and uttered " Goodbye cobber, God bless you" before they charged over and were killed, that statement is written on that brave warrior’s headstone.
    Sat there with tears rolling down my face. What courage and mateship. Great men. So sad and what a senseless waste. I hope they Rest In Peace.

I’m pretty sure the Gallipoli movie with Mel Gibson and Mark Lee that very action you speak of is the final part of the movie when you see Mark Lee go over the wall just as Mel gets back from central command

Lions led by donkeys.

• @happy tiger:

@Fade To Black:

@happy tiger:

Been watching a few programmes lately in regards to the battles on the Western Front

Never realized we were outnumbered 10-1 when we retook Villers Bretteneux

The stories that are recalled from that campaign and others such as Gallipoli just leave you speechless as to the bravery, mateship and fighting spirit of our Diggers. The conditions and hardships that they had to endure were just hell on earth, uncomprehendable to anybody who wasn’t there.
    Saw a documentary yesterday about Gallipoli detailing the fighting at The Nek where a wave of Diggers were forced to go over the top into almost certain death charging the Turkish trenches, they were slaughtered. 2 minutes later the commander’s whistle blew and the next line of soldiers went over and got decimated as well. Apparently a Turkish commander could not bear witness to this and implored the Aussies to stop coming, yelling out “No, stop!”. The 3rd wave of Diggers were told that they were to go over anyway and one of the men turned to his mate and uttered " Goodbye cobber, God bless you" before they charged over and were killed, that statement is written on that brave warrior’s headstone.
    Sat there with tears rolling down my face. What courage and mateship. Great men. So sad and what a senseless waste. I hope they Rest In Peace.

I’m pretty sure the Gallipoli movie with Mel Gibson and Mark Lee that very action you speak of is the final part of the movie when you see Mark Lee go over the wall just as Mel gets back from central command

Yep you are right, that final part of the movie portrays that particular campaign. It showed the absolute futility of it, the poor blokes never stood a chance. I think they sent four waves of men over the top before they mercifully came to their senses and put an end to it.

Recent Topics