NYC..Axed after 2017...

• ForumSupporter

Axing the NRL’s under 20s competition will save lives, says Sione Faumuina

November 14, 2016 12:11pm

THE NRL’s decision to axe their under-20s competition will not only spare teenage talents of the limelight but might even save their lives, according to former bad boy Sione Faumuina.

ARL Commission chairman John Grant confirmed that next year’s Holden Cup will be its last as the NRL’s second-tier competition, replaced by the NSW and Queensland state leagues.

It’s a move Faumuina believes will lessen the pressure and spotlight surrounding the game’s upcoming stars, some of whom have committed suicide in recent years. The former New Zealand prodigy recalled in his recent book ‘The Second Phase’ how he threw away all his earning potential after being lured by a toxic mix of limelight and alcohol.

“My last year at North Queensland in 2008 was the first year of the 20s and what I found back then, and it still happens today, a lot of these young boys have the sense that they’ve made it when in actual fact they haven’t made anything,” he said.

Faumuina, 35, is attempting a fairytale comeback in the Queensland Cup. He balances his time coaching local teenagers in Brisbane, warning them of the pitfalls of the NRL.

“I tell them straight up, the under 20s is a third-tier, not second tier. I say the second tier is the state league, so their goal shouldn’t be to play under 20s. The goal should be to play state cup,” he said.

“And they get really upset. A lot of kids get disappointed when they don’t go on and play NRL.

“That’s where I think the NRL have identified, we’ve pulled these kids in too early. We’ve exposed them to too much, too early. Once the under 20s came in, they started targeting them around 12-13.” Faumuina remains close with former teammate Nigel Vagana, who has been at the forefront of the welfare work across the NRL for the past seven years. He says the game is doing more than it ever has before in looking after its own. “I know that they have a lot of emphasis on wellbeing and education now as opposed to 10 years ago. The systems they have in place, they’re actually world recognised,” Faumuina said.

“You don’t hear about that stuff in the media.” However he reckons removing the glory of the under-20s competition and giving reserve grade more acclaim is just as critical in helping shift kids’ attitude to their prospective careers.

Another key benefit is pitting the most prodigious talents in the game under the wings of the more mature men in both the NSW and Queensland Cups. “The standout kid that lives in Central Queensland or Sydney, whichever state league is in line with where they stay, they don’t have to leave,” Faumuina said.

“This is the whole point behind it. They don’t need to leave the comfort of their families, their friends, and they will be able to see pathway through to the NRL through the state league.” Readers seeking support and information about suicide prevention can contact Lifeline on 13 11 14.

Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467.

MensLine Australia 1300 78 99 78.

Multicultural Mental Health Australia http://www.mmha.org.au.

Local Aboriginal Medical Service available from http://www.vibe.com.au.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/axing-the-nrls-under-20s-competition-will-save-lives-says-sione-faumuina/news-story/53cf4a489b7c74b2db3fe85a9c18b2be?utm_content=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=EditorialSF&utm_source=TelegraphSport&utm_medium=Facebook

• Does this open the door for having all 3 games at one ground on the same day ?

• “I tell them straight up, the under 20s is a third-tier, not second tier. I say the second tier is the state league, so their goal shouldn’t be to play under 20s. The goal should be to play state cup,” he said.

Once upon a time it was 4th tier, and before that…5th
    It was always a stupid idea

• @innsaneink:

“I tell them straight up, the under 20s is a third-tier, not second tier. I say the second tier is the state league, so their goal shouldn’t be to play under 20s. The goal should be to play state cup,” he said.

Once upon a time it was 4th tier, and before that…5th
    It was always a stupid idea

Why do you say stupid?

I thought it worked well, just needed more support workers to help.

• ForumSupporter

@westTAHger:

Does this open the door for having all 3 games at one ground on the same day ?

The ARLC are yet to reveal their Grand plan for the 2nd tier comp except to say it will revert to the State Leagues…which means when Wests Tigers play an out of town team they wont be playing them…It will be another NSWRL ISP team and may even be that teams home game…

There has been no mention of a New Youth Comp …whatever that is…it wont be National either…it will be State based as well…the QRL already have plans in place for this…

So in all likelihood some weeks you will get 1 game NRL and that’s it…

It’s a TV product now…

• NYC is 4th tier, top 4 Massey Teams would beat all NYC teams, most NYC players can only drop back to Shield and be effective, size and physicality is too much in the Massey middle third for u/20 players.

• There’d probably still be 2 games played every home game, i’d guess NSW/QLD Cup will be the curtain raisers now. If you play an interstate team it just means you’ll play a random non-NRL-affiliated nsw club…

• This should see the strengthening of the 2 State Comps realistically.

If I was WT I wouldnt put anything into NYC for 2017 and simply play the players who are NRL bound in State Cup so they are playing men and in defensive structures that resemble NRL somewhat.

And get an Q Cup Affiliate

• NYC should have never been a pathway to NRL.

The game will be better for it.

• The game has gone full circle,as the ‘óldies’ on this Forum will know the exact opposite reasoning was used by the NSWRL to scrap 3rd Grade many Moons ago,they felt old established players who were on the way out of the game knew too many tricks for the young players coming thru. and were knocking them(pun intended) out of the pathway to 1st Grade.

• @Basil Tiger:

The game has gone full circle,as the ‘óldies’ on this Forum will know the exact opposite reasoning was used by the NSWRL to scrap 3rd Grade many Moons ago,they felt old established players who were on the way out of the game knew too many tricks for the young players coming thru. and were knocking them(pun intended) out of the pathway to 1st Grade.

Yeah and promoting a full set of developing kids to play with tough and wiley veterans was a bit of a physical ask. Fair enough NYC is attack-focused and lots of kits just get used to blitzing other kids, but there is something to be said for 24 rounds of tackling other kids your age, not 29-year old veterans.

• @jirskyr:

…… Fair enough NYC is attack-focused and lots of kits just get used to blitzing other kids, but there is something to be said for 24 rounds of tackling other kids your age, not 29-year old veterans.

Yeah,back in the 1960/70’s some of the players in Reserve & Thirds were in their late 30’s early 40’s and knew too many tricks for a 18 year old.The reason they got good Crowds back then for the lower Grades were that many of the games were Bloodbaths,poor & inexperienced Referees had no chance of controlling 20 year League veterans,dressing rooms were like a war zone as the First Grade Coach tried to find 4(?) fit players to be on the bench for the main game.

• Yeah,back in the 1960/70’s some of the players in Reserve & Thirds were in their late 30’s early 40’s and knew too many tricks for a 18 year old.

Sounds like a good way for a young bloke to learn…
    Better to learn off those that know …wont learn much from those that dont know

• @Basil Tiger:

@jirskyr:

…… Fair enough NYC is attack-focused and lots of kits just get used to blitzing other kids, but there is something to be said for 24 rounds of tackling other kids your age, not 29-year old veterans.

Yeah,back in the 1960/70’s some of the players in Reserve & Thirds were in their late 30’s early 40’s and knew too many tricks for a 18 year old.The reason they got good Crowds back then for the lower Grades were that many of the games were Bloodbaths,poor & inexperienced Referees had no chance of controlling 20 year League veterans,dressing rooms were like a war zone as the First Grade Coach tried to find 4(?) fit players to be on the bench for the main game.

Yep same up here Basil , even in the 80’s blokes in the BRL lower grades would come out with the old Coke can pull on their fingers …. used to get pretty messy

• @happy tiger:

Yep same up here Basil , even in the 80’s blokes in the BRL lower grades would come out with the old Coke can pull on their fingers …. used to get pretty messy

Yeah,they have taken most of the thuggery out of the game these days,Scrums were a cause of the most foul play,squirrel grips were an accepted norm as were eye gouging,head butts and plain old vanilla uppercuts and punches,victims would spend the rest of the game trying to get square.
    That’s one area where Union(back then) was a much cleaner game,foul players didn’t last long particulary in Scrums where players are vunerable,their own players and ex-players would sort them out very quickly.

Recent Topics