Winger Position for 2017

If Idris impresses at centre in the preseason and trials …. then the only backline spot that is likely to be up for grabs is the left wing position.

Candidates from within the WTs are Kev, Rankin, Ryland Jacobs, Heleta, Ryan Papenhuyzen’s , Hunt.
I’d go with Kev.
Who would you go?

Look it depends on
a who’s going to be kicking goals this season
b trial form will be important
c who washes JTs car the best lol

But in all seriousness I’d go with either Rankin or Hunt BUT really think Heleta is a goer.

I’d be getting rankin as a utility that can play halves,fullback… ready to fill in if someone gets injured. Doesn’t have the strength or pace to be on the wing. If Kev has sorted out his defensive issues I’d go Kev.

Unless Moses dramatically improves his goal kicking over the off season, i think Rankin will be on the wing.

@Tiger4life:

I’d be getting rankin as a utility that can play halves,fullback… ready to fill in if someone gets injured. Doesn’t have the strength or pace to be on the wing. If Kev has sorted out his defensive issues I’d go Kev.

Kev’s got more chance of fixing his height issues than he does fixing his defensive and high ball issues

@maxxy86:

Look it depends on

But in all seriousness I’d go with either Rankin or Hunt BUT really think Heleta is a goer.

If Rankin is the best goal kicker he has to play , we can’t give away 2-4 points every game

JT said in an interview before the Brisbane game that Rankin just needs to learn to trust in his natural hook and he could be a real good goalkicker

I suspect either Frozone or Rankin.

@happy tiger:

@maxxy86:

Look it depends on

If Rankin is the best goal kicker he has to play , we can’t give away 2-4 points every game

JT said in an interview before the Brisbane game that Rankin just needs to learn to trust in his natural hook and he could be a real good goalkicker

Thing about Rankin though, he’s been playing footy for a long time, you wouldn’t think he’d have a lot more learning or development in him, i.e. he is what he is. So if he drags some of his kicks through lack of confidence, I would not predict a breakthrough unless he didn’t do much kicking in the UK.

Kev’s high ball and defence will have to improve markedly in the pre season to be complete on the wing. I like his attack but defence is a liability and to me they cancel each other out. Rankine isn’t much better but can sometimes kick. I don’t know enough about the others but would be willing to take a punt on them.

Hunt kicks too.

Idris should push rankin out of team and Moses will be kicker.

I hope we’ve got another signing to come. I wouldn’t want any of those options on our wing. If Rankin could kick at 85% then ok he’d get the nod, but he can’t and probably won’t. Moses has just as much chance of kicking that highly.

Maybe Papenhuyzen for 2018

I wonder how much difference goal kicking makes. I’m just thinking aloud here, no conclusions.

Moses kicks 64% for his career, which is about as bad as you can get for a regular kicker. 80% might be the benchmark, but it’s a high one - very few players have ever kicked 80% for a single season. So let’s say 75% is a more realistic expectation.

What this means is that Moses is missing one goal in 10 that a first-rate kicker would get. Let’s say a decent team is getting five shots a game (the Tigers averaged almost exactly 20 points a game in 2016), at which point having a Moses-level kicker is costing exactly one kick every two games relative to the 75% kicker - or one point a game.

I’m not sure what all this means, except to say that even if Rankin was a 75% kicker and Moses can’t improve on 64% it’s certainly not cut and dried that it’s worth running out a dud winger just to improve the goal kicking to the tune of a success every other week.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.