Can Webster do it?

• In the “Meet the Coaches” videos doing the rounds the new assistant coach Webster says his main role is to fix the edge defense.

Stringer is in charge of the middle defense (forwards) now Webster is in charge of the backs defense.

Can he make a difference?

At least they have seen the problem and are trying to correct it.

• For his first session he can pull Naiqama aside and tell him not to rush in. That would make big improvement right away.

• Time will tell.
    Seems like an odd choice for defence coach… But then again Kidwell was renowned as a fearsome hitter… But We all saw what he did as defense coach

• Agree with Ink.

At least the club has acknowledged the weakness and are attempting to manage it. Time will tell how successful it is but positive move.

• What, so coaches need to be superstar players in order to identify strengths and weaknesses in others and make suggestions to improve these…?

• Iam not sure if a defence coach actually makes much difference. I mean if you get to NRL standard and can not read a defensive situation or you can not tackle, I am not sure a coach will help. I suppose he can try and install structures and put drills in place to help, but seen plenty of them come and go and not much has changed

• @Balmain Boy:

What, so coaches need to be superstar players in order to identify strengths and weaknesses in others and make suggestions to improve these…?

Of course they don’t. In fact the superstar players often make terrible coaches. The ones that didn’t excel in their field are the ones who are motivated the most to learn on the job, which translates to better performances.

• @Balmain Boy:

What, so coaches need to be superstar players in order to identify strengths and weaknesses in others and make suggestions to improve these…?

No
    No one suggested that

• Banned

@innsaneink:

Time will tell.
    Seems like an odd choice for defence coach… But then again Kidwell was renowned as a fearsome hitter… But We all saw what he did as defense coach

Why do u day its an odd choice? For me Kidwell was an odd choice, a dumb meathead should never be in charge of defensive structure.

Webster must have some sound knowledge about him considering he’s carved out a coaching career at such a young age without reaching the NRL himself as a player to establish a name. Could play though, made a bad move going to Parra who played him 2nd row. Guy was a 5/8 all over.

• Yeah your post got me thinking, Im confusing him with James Webster

• @innsaneink:

Yeah your post got me thinking, Im confusing him with James Webster

I was actually thinking it was James Webster aswell, the red headed half.
    There you go, a totally different ranga altogether.

• ForumSupporter

Well we sucked badly with just one defensive coach now we have 2 one working the middle of the field one working with the edges…I just hope the middle knows what the edges are going to do and the edges know what the middle is doing and it all gels into a cohesive well oiled DEFENSIVE MACHINE…what could go wrong…

Onwards and Upwards…

• @Geo.:

Well we sucked badly with just one defensive coach now we have 2 one working the middle of the field one working with the edges…I just hope the middle knows what the edges are going to do and the edges know what the middle is doing and it all gels into a cohesive well oiled DEFENSIVE MACHINE…what could go wrong…

Onwards and Upwards…

Problem identified

How to rectify ??

Recruiting anyone ?? Time to stick the engine in front of the carriages , just for once , see what happens

• If two coaches is better than one, just imagine how good our defence would be if we had 3 coaches. Someone call front office quickly and give them the hot tip.

• In all seriousness though, watching the Kiwis in the 4 nations makes me very happy that Kidwell is long gone.

Recent Topics