Have we got this all wrong ??

• Just putting this out there

Many out there are concerned about us re-signing the big 4 Tedesco ,Moses ,Brooks and Woods

Maybe we need to look at this whole scenario a different way

Barring a few on here , we know that defence wins premierships

So our recruitment for at least the short term should be revolved around signing players that will build a great defensive unit that our attack can build from

So working from that we need defensive strength in the middle as well as on the edges , players who can seriously protect our 6 and 7

Instead of having a side that leaks 24 points a game and us having to have to score 5 tries every week to win games , we maybe have a side that only concedes 14-15 points on average per game so we only need to score 3 tries a week with a reasonable goal kicker

So do we really need Tedesco , Brooks and Moses or should we spend the money on some quality centres and back rowers and another quality prop and maybe only keep one of the three ……

Just looking at our recruitment from a different angle

• ForumSupporter

Yes we should let them go. .which reserve graders we replacing them with. …

• @Geo.:

Some crazy person once told me if you keep doing the same things you get the same results

Keep 2 release 2

Say keep Moses and Tedesco for example and then use that money to pick up two quality back rowers and a centre , and with the back rowers and centre you release pick up a quality player

How many clubs have top of the line halves , I’d rather one have a good pass , good defender ,good goal kicker Tyrone Roberts from the Titans for example

Its all about getting the right mix to gel , not getting the superstar in each position , great players don’t win premierships , great sides win premierships

• @happy tiger:

@Geo.:

Some crazy person once told me if you keep doing the same things you get the same results

Keep 2 release 2

Say keep Moses and Tedesco for example and then use that money to pick up two quality back rowers and a centre , and with the back rowers and centre you release pick up a quality player

How many clubs have top of the line halves , I’d rather one have a good pass , good defender ,good goal kicker Tyrone Roberts from the Titans for example

Its all about getting the right mix to gel , not getting the superstar in each position , great players don’t win premierships , great sides win premierships

You can’t say you want good defence and then mention Tyrone Roberts…

• how about we release the players who miss the tackles and replace them with players who can tackle….hang on that would only leave us with woods and tedesco

• @Nelson:

@happy tiger:

@Geo.:

Keep 2 release 2

The point is if you don’t have the right players around your 6 and 7 it won’t matter who it is

You will also pick up Roberts for 150 k less than Brooks , which than can be used to upgrade your back row / front row /centres

You want a good spine that can link well

We had top line spines but useless forward packs and questionable centres

The only time this clubs looked like we finally had it right was when we recruited a top line back rower (Ellis)

• @larrycorowa:

how about we release the players who miss the tackles and replace them with players who can tackle….hang on that would only leave us with woods and tedesco

Well either way Tedesco /Woods or Tedesco /Moses

Either way we need to change our mind set

Even with Woods , we are paying top dollar , we could pick up some one just as good for probably 100 k less

If I was part of recruitment I’d be focussing on players who were maybe the 4th or 5th best in their position , blokes who are just missing out on SOO and top line NZ players , blokes who aren’t missing football at crucial times of the year

Yeah sure have one or two who are SOO players , but the last thing we need is to be losing 3-4 players SOO time

• Happy look at the Bulldogs without a decent half back,
    zero attack.
    You would need at defensive team that doesn’t concede a single point every game.
    Most of the problems with our defence is more about very poor defensive reads, players rushing out of the line, staggered defensive lines etc:
    Hopefully some of these problems can be coached out of the team with a proper strategy.
    Time will tell.

• @happy tiger:

@Nelson:

@happy tiger:

@Geo.:

Keep 2 release 2

The point is if you don’t have the right players around your 6 and 7 it won’t matter who it is

You will also pick up Roberts for 150 k less than Brooks , which than can be used to upgrade your back row / front row /centres

You want a good spine that can link well

We had top line spines but useless forward packs and questionable centres

The only time this clubs looked like we finally had it right was when we recruited a top line back rower (Ellis)

I can understand the mentality of not feeling that two top-line halves are necessary, but you can’t just plonk whoever in there. Every player is important in defence and if we were going to sacrifice Brooks we would be better off opting for a sound defensive 5/8 with some potential. Someone like a Connor Watson or Ryan Matterson, or even just JLJ if we really wanted to free up coin.

Also, if you would be prepared to pay Tyrone Roberts a salary that was only $150K less than that of Brooks I’m glad you’re not in recruitment happy! He was on the scrapheap before the Titans picked him up and would have no demand as a top flight half. He is $200K max as a backup half, and even that’s generous.

• @happy tiger:

If I was part of recruitment I’d be focussing on players who were maybe the 4th or 5th best in their position , blokes who are just missing out on SOO and top line NZ players , blokes who aren’t missing football at crucial times of the year

I reckon targeting England is a good option. There has been a good success rate with English forwards in recent years, even Mike Cooper was actually pretty bloody good for the Dragons.

• @Nelson:

I can understand the mentality of not feeling that two top-line halves are necessary, but you can’t just plonk whoever in there.

The old Johnny Morris mistake.

• You can be either:

• Tigers fan or
    • Queenslander/Sheensian 😃

• ForumSupporter

@happy tiger:

@Geo.:

Keep 2 release 2

First of all were you drunk when you posted the original title thread…?

The thing is it’s not fantasy league where you can simply trade out a quality player and trade in another quality player…the player you are targeting has to want to come here…

We have a quartet of players we have already invested a great deal in to a point where we should start reaping the benefits from given the experience they have gained playing together…

I’d rather the Club concentrate on releasing our mid range low end deadwood we have paid way to much for…thankfully that is happening…

• @happy tiger:

Just putting this out there

Many out there are concerned about us re-signing the big 4 Tedesco ,Moses ,Brooks and Woods

Maybe we need to look at this whole scenario a different way

Barring a few on here , we know that defence wins premierships

So our recruitment for at least the short term should be revolved around signing players that will build a great defensive unit that our attack can build from

So working from that we need defensive strength in the middle as well as on the edges , players who can seriously protect our 6 and 7

You’re right about the defence, and needing that fixing as a priority.
    But the only one of the unsigned players that is essential to the team is Tedesco.
    Without him for any extended period and our attack is limited,
    Losing Either of the halves wouldn’t be a disaster IMO.
    We don’t need flashy halves, we could be just as well off with at least one experienced half who can put Our attack, especially Teddy ,into holes more often ,rather than him having to be do all the hard stuff himself.
    Just my opinion.
    Instead of having a side that leaks 24 points a game and us having to have to score 5 tries every week to win games , we maybe have a side that only concedes 14-15 points on average per game so we only need to score 3 tries a week with a reasonable goal kicker

So do we really need Tedesco , Brooks and Moses or should we spend the money on some quality centres and back rowers and another quality prop and maybe only keep one of the three ……

Just looking at our recruitment from a different angle

• @bathursttiger:

Happy look at the Bulldogs without a decent half back,
    zero attack.
    You would need at defensive team that doesn’t concede a single point every game.
    Most of the problems with our defence is more about very poor defensive reads, players rushing out of the line, staggered defensive lines etc:
    Hopefully some of these problems can be coached out of the team with a proper strategy.
    Time will tell.

The problem is , that in two years, that hasn’t been coached out of them

Recent Topics