Wests Tigers filthy ...SMH article

The Sydney Morning Herald apparently did an article on the WTs saying that the club is controlled by the NRL…The club has rightly set the article straight by saying Western Suburbs own 75% and Balmain 25%…

I read this from the NRL website,you would think that the SMH would get all the facts right before openly printing an article that is entirely false…

but it is offseason and anything can happen…

Wests Tigers Offical response…

Wests Tigers statement on Sydney Morning Herald article

Wests Tigers Media

Fri 2nd December, 01:40PM
A A

WT Statement Black
Wests Tigers would like to clarify the Club’s ownership structure following an article published in the Sydney Morning Herald written by Adam Pengilly today.

The Club would like to make it clear that it is not owned, or controlled, by the NRL.

Wests Tigers ownership model is very clear, the Western Suburbs Magpies own 75% and the Balmain Tigers own 25%.

The article references a loan from the NRL, Wests Tigers would like to make it clear that the Balmain Tigers currently have an existing loan with the NRL.

The Balmain Tigers received a loan from the NRL in recent years, and is being charged interest at commercial rates. Wests Tigers have no financial obligation to this loan.

The Balmain Tigers are separate from Wests Tigers, with neither entity owned by the NRL.

In addition the article claims that the NRL met a commitment to pay clubs $250,000 each this week. This is incorrect as payment is yet to be received.

Any informed Wests Tigers supporter knows this…

The SMH article in question:
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrlassisted-st-george-illawarra-dragons-wests-tigers-hold-key-to-john-grants-future-20161130-gt1dk2.html

WT response:
http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2016/12/02/wests_tigers_stateme.html

Wests Tigers would like to clarify the Club’s ownership structure following an article published in the Sydney Morning Herald written by Adam Pengilly today.

The Club would like to make it clear that it is not owned, or controlled, by the NRL.

Wests Tigers ownership model is very clear, the Western Suburbs Magpies own 75% and the Balmain Tigers own 25%.

The article references a loan from the NRL, Wests Tigers would like to make it clear that the Balmain Tigers currently have an existing loan with the NRL.

The Balmain Tigers received a loan from the NRL in recent years, and is being charged interest at commercial rates. Wests Tigers have no financial obligation to this loan.

The Balmain Tigers are separate from Wests Tigers, with neither entity owned by the NRL.

In addition the article claims that the NRL met a commitment to pay clubs $250,000 each this week. This is incorrect as payment is yet to be received.

@Geo.:

Wests Tigers Media

A A

WT Statement Black

Just goes to show people still think Balmain is the Weststigers, when in reality Balmain are barely holding on and own 25%.

@851:

@Geo.:

Wests Tigers Media

A A

WT Statement Black

Just goes to show people still think Balmain is the Weststigers, when in reality Balmain are barely holding on and own 25%.

I think the 25% share that Balmain have is an “on paper” title

@happy tiger:

@851:

@Geo.:

Wests Tigers Media

A A

WT Statement Black

I think the 25% share that Balmain have is an “on paper” title

Exactly Happy, but peoples perception of the club is that it is Balmain, which I think might change a bit when the facts get out.

I seriously think the gesture by Wests to allow Balmain to retain 25% (for now) was a PR exercise. Balmain couldn’t make payments for their previous loan and the Rozelle development isn’t happening anytime soon (if ever) so this loan won’t be any different. It’s already been reported Wests are the gaurantor on the loan so they’ll inevitably gain 100% control. Bring it on so we can stop this circus. Balmains financial position continues to undermine the club.

All that aside, wheere is the poster on another topic that claimed newspapers are too smart to publish false info. They know what they doing, he said. They have checked all their facts, he said. I laughed then and im still laughing now.

As for who owns WT, most couldnt care less. I was a Balmain supporter, ive been a WT supporter since they started. No confusion here.

@Patts:

I seriously think the gesture by Wests to allow Balmain to retain 25% (for now) was a PR exercise. Balmain couldn’t make payments for their previous loan and the Rozelle development isn’t happening anytime soon (if ever) so this loan won’t be any different. It’s already been reported Wests are the gaurantor on the loan so they’ll inevitably gain 100% control. Bring it on so we can stop this circus. Balmains financial position continues to undermine the club.

Cool story , please tell me more.

Am i right in saying that the Western Suburbs Rugby League club does not have an ownership % in the JV?

Reason i bring it up is if Balmain’s 25% ever defaulted and Wests Ashfield owned 100%, would we be the only club in the NRL not to be owned by a Football Club (aside from privately owned clubs)?

WSRLFC has a small investment in the Wests side of the JV. I think it was Wests Campbelltown that walked away wasn’t it?

@Abraham:

Am i right in saying that the Western Suburbs Rugby League club does not have an ownership % in the JV?

Reason i bring it up is if Balmain’s 25% ever defaulted and Wests Ashfield owned 100%, would we be the only club in the NRL not to be owned by a Football Club (aside from privately owned clubs)?

Wests Ashfield and WSDRLC form Wests Group which previously included Wests Cambpelltown who gave up their share to Wests Ashfield in 2011 trading off any financial responsibility to Wests Tigers…they still fun WSDJRL…

WSDRLC is currently represented on the Wests Tigers Board by Michael Liubinskas…

The other Board positions is made up of
Marina Go (Chair)Independent Rosemary Sinclair Independent, Simon Cook, Rick Wayde, Tony Andreacchio and Mike Bailey - Wests Ashfield, James Myatt and Danny Stapleton, Balmain…

Isn’t this about the 3rd time the club has released a statement along these lines? I don’t think the papers are too fussed about facts.

Well the whole funding thing is, I am guessing, why Tigers are siding with the other clubs to try and oust John Grant.

The media makes no attempt to report accurately. It’s interesting because this article was mostly about St George Illawarra and Wests. The one journo in Australia who knows more about the inner workings of these clubs boards and structures is Roy Masters; a SMH reporter. Like I said, they have no interest in reporting accurately or they wouldn’t make these mistakes.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.