Smith Joins RLPA Board,...

• ForumSupporter

This Might Be The Smartest Decision Ever Made By Rugby League
    Tags: Melbourne Storm

Australian skipper Cameron Smith has confirmed he has joined the Rugby League Players Association board.

It marks the first time a reigning national captain has linked with the rugby league body.

Smith, also the Melbourne and Queensland captain, said he hoped to make a difference in his new role.

“I am passionate about our game and want to see it grow and prosper,” said Smith in a statement.

“To help that happen I believe the playing group must be engaged in decisions that affect rugby league at all levels.”

The RLPA are currently involved in talks with the NRL over a new collective bargaining agreement (CBA), expected to completed by the end of next season.

“As a current NRL player, I’m well aware of and understand the challenges facing players and the concerns they have about issues within the game,” Smith said.

“The current CBA negotiations are our first priority and we want to build and maintain a strong relationship with the NRL and clubs to make sure we continue to grow our game together.”

Other current players on the board are George Burgess (South Sydney), Tim Mannah (Parramatta), James Maloney (Cronulla) and Jeremy Latimore (Cronulla).

Smith said he had also joined the board of the Australian Athletes’ Alliance, the peak body for the country’s elite professional athletes.

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/nrl/news/2016/12/storm-cameron-smith-in-rugby-league-players-board-posting/

• ForumSupporter

Free Boats for all… :wahoo:

• @Geo.:

Other current players on the board are George Burgess (South Sydney), Tim Mannah (Parramatta), James Maloney (Cronulla) and Jeremy Latimore (Cronulla).

Mental powerhouses there.

• Can’t wait to hear FTB’s commentary on this…

• @Cultured Bogan:

Can’t wait to hear FTB’s commentary on this…

What , FTB doesn’t like Cam Smith 😲

• I bet George Burgess has alot of input. Would love to hear his ideas :slight_smile: And does James Maloney represent the bogan rugby league player???

• Banned

I like this.
    Smith is highly credentialed as a player, is very passionate and has power within the playing ranks.

• I was excited til I read the rest of the board members. Mannah seems to have most of his brain in tact and I haven’t heard enough from Latimore to comment on him, but surely there’s better options than Burgi 3 and Maloney? Shouldn’t they be recruiting players from that academic team they seem to have stopped selecting/mentioning? I know Rowdy always got a run there, surely he’d be worth it especially with his experience with injury?

• Never judge a book by its cover

These blokes haven’t taken the role for the sake of it , they obviously must have a passion for player welfare

Its not if they are going to be creating 250 page reports , but if they can verbalise the players concerns they will have done their jobs

• Stand-up guy right there, our Cammy 😮 He is the Sam Ayoub of the playing ranks.
    It’s like making Ivan Milat the Minister for Tourism :deadhorse:
    The NRL competition never ceases to amaze.

• @stryker:

I like this.
    Smith is highly credentialed as a player, is very passionate and has power within the playing ranks.

You like this? Wow there’s a surprise.
    He may have power within the QLD playing ranks but I would hazard a guess that most blokes in the NRL despise the bloke and would love nothing more than to kick another opening into that Stone-Age looking head of his. Not sure how much respect he would have amongst his peers TBH.

• Banned

@Fade To Black:

@stryker:

I like this.

You like this? Wow there’s a surprise.
    He may have power within the QLD playing ranks but I would hazard a guess that most blokes in the NRL despise the bloke and would love nothing more than to kick another opening into that Stone-Age looking head of his. Not sure how much respect he would have amongst his peers TBH.

When you are the best positional player of your generation, probably ever, you have the respect of the group.

• He will have several fingers in the RL pie for life

• Banned

@happy tiger:

@Cultured Bogan:

Can’t wait to hear FTB’s commentary on this…

What , FTB doesn’t like Cam Smith 😲

They are really lovers 😉

• @Fade To Black:

Stand-up guy right there, our Cammy 😮 He is the Sam Ayoub of the playing ranks.
    It’s like making Ivan Milat the Minister for Tourism :deadhorse:
    The NRL competition never ceases to amaze.

I’d been waiting for your response and it didn’t disappoint.

Recent Topics