Favourite players from 00-04

• Something a little different. 00-04 is an era sometimes forgotten. We didn’t have much success, but we had some good moments like coming back from 24 points down against the Knights, and the great start we got off to at the start of 2002 beating the two competition heavyweights in the Dogs and Parra. People look back on this period and laugh about some of the players we had, but we did have some real gems. One of those was Lincoln Whithers. Was about 5 ft 5 but hit like David Gillespe. Had a heart the size of Pharlap.

Who would be some of your favourite players from that era? For me i’d say

Lincoln Whithers
    John Wilson
    Willie Manu
    Robbie Mears

To this day i still think John Wilson is the most underrated player to ever play for WT’s. I thought he deserved to be apart of the 05 team.

• ForumSupporter

I think Whire Legs was the innaugural Fitzy who passed the baton to Moltz with Rankin now rounding out the relay…I liked him but…

Other favs from early days…

Tyron Smith
    Kevin McGuinness
    John Skandalis
    Ciriaco Mescia
    Ben Galea
    Troy Wozniak
    Matt Seers

• Darren Senter was my fav player during those times. Guy was tough as nails and loved starting fights with 3 dudes at once.

Ben Galea is one of the most under rated player of the last 20 years. If he played for one of the more fancied clubs during those years I have no doubts he would have played origin.

• Todd Payton

• Galea probably is my all time favourite player. Didn’t mention him because he played beyond 04. Troy Wozniak was another who was a pretty handy player. Pulled off one of the best try saving tackles i’ve ever seen in that Dogs game i mentioned above.

• I always liked Corey Pearson, theres something about a prop that can ball play that impresses me. Being a wests fan obviously Mescia McGuiness and Georgallis.

• Buddha McGuinness, had brilliant speed & footwork but couldnt tackle
    Cherry - tough as old nuts
    Linc Withers played well above his weight…great defender
    Hoppa & Hill, while dubious characters they were in my team and liked them for 80 mins a week…sometimes.
    Many began in 03/04 and went way past then guys like Hodgo Skando Liam etc

• Banned

Yeah Tyrone Smith. What a champion every week. Gave 100%.
    Jason Lowrie is another. Bit lazy but had a go.
    Kevin Mcguinness was out try scoring machine.

I guess it all wasn’t bad back then.

• Hoppa is best remembered as a punchline now, but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a better player and being able to stand in a tackle and offload.

Tyran Smith had his faults but he was tough and he could make something from nothing in attack.

Jumping Johnny Carlaw still keep his title as our best ever at fielding attacking kicks.

People will laugh, but I always liked Jackson Kaufusi. I remember him throwing a punch one day that could have killed someone if hadn’t missed by a foot.

• Tezza
    Hoppa (pre-finger!)
    Seers
    Shane Walker
    Jason Lowrie
    Mark Stimson
    McCracken (in his 8 or so games!)
    Senter
    Withers

• Banned

Senter was probably my favourite around that time, but enjoyed watcing these blokes play as well:

Cherry Mescia
    Terry Hill
    Lincoln Withers
    Matt Seers
    Kevin McGuiness
    Steve Georgallis
    Michael Gillett
    John Skandallis
    John Carlaw

• @GNR4LIFE:

Something a little different. 00-04 is an era sometimes forgotten. We didn’t have much success, but we had some good moments like coming back from 24 points down against the Knights, and the great start we got off to at the start of 2002 beating the two competition heavyweights in the Dogs and Parra. People look back on this period and laugh about some of the players we had, but we did have some real gems. One of those was Lincoln Whithers. Was about 5 ft 5 but hit like David Gillespe. Had a heart the size of Pharlap.

Who would be some of your favourite players from that era? For me i’d say

Lincoln Whithers
    John Wilson
    Willie Manu
    Robbie Mears

To this day i still think John Wilson is the most underrated player to ever play for WT’s. I thought he deserved to be apart of the 05 team.

Ahh yeah Johnnie ‘white legs’ Wilson was one of my favs being a ranga myself…he was an outside back 5/8th but the day Sheensy started him in the front row against the broncos. Ben Galea has been my favourite since day dot and Robbie Mears was another guy that had a dig every game.

• I dont think JW ever started at prop…he had a few runs at lock and fewer in the back row

• I liked the way Shane Walker used to play, no nonsense and unheralded but built like a truck and always ran hard. Big fan of Willie Manu back in the day, just wish he could have applied himself as he had talent and was always a handful when he turned up to play. Liked Luke O’Donnell too as he was a south coast junior.

• @innsaneink:

I dont think JW ever started at prop…he had a few runs at lock and fewer in the back row

I will give to sheensy that we had a few out but I’m sure he did……he may have been shifted there after we lost a front rower. Maybe the only prop we had when you think of a sheenius team full of backrowers.

Recent Topics