Wests Tigers need stability to succeed in 2017

• Coach for a day: Wests Tigers need stability to succeed in 2017

MATT LOGUE, The Daily Telegraph
    December 14, 2016 12:00am

THE fanfare surrounding Robbie Farah is over, now it’s time to move on and build a drama-free future.

Led by arguably the NRL’s best young spine in James Tedesco, Mitch Moses and Luke Brooks, I believe my team is well placed for success. As coach, I’ve put my full faith in this talented trio to take control of the side. I’m particularly excited about the prospects of my star five-eighth, Moses.He came of age as a first grader last season and I want him to carry this confidence into 2017. If Moses can maintain his strong form, I have no doubt you’ll see the Tigers return to the finals next season.

Can Tigers find the consistency they lacked in 2016? I’m also very excited to see my fullback, James Tedesco, fit and ready to excel after an injury-plagued 2016. ‘Teddy’ is a crucial part of the team and I think you’ll see him deliver his best ever season next year. I know I have the players to perform strongly in this competition, so it’s all about our performances.

We were far too inconsistent last season, especially with our errors, and it must change in 2017. Excuses, like the Tigers being a ‘young’ and ‘developing’ side, will no longer be tolerated. We are good enough to compete with the best, so let’s start showing it.

I also can’t wait to work with new recruit Jamal Idris, who returns to the game after a 12-month hiatus, keen to show his true worth. We need an impact player and Idris is the man to deliver some much needed spark. The former Test and Origin representative is also a real personality, which will give the dressing-room a much needed lift throughout the grind a 26-round NRL season. But I need Idris to be fit. There’s no point having him on deck if he is going to revert back to his lazy and uninterested ways. But I’m confident Idris will put in the hard yards to ensure he is successful.

I was also happy with the impact of my bench last season. Players like Elijah Taylor, Tim Grant and Ava Seumanufagai were all outstanding last season and I need them to replicate this in 2017. My bench averaged 266.9 metres, 15 offloads and 56 tackle breaks last season and it’s paramount we continue to deliver these strong numbers.

So the stage is set for the Tigers in 2017 – now it’s up to the players to deliver our plan.

• Have to agree with most of the article,particularly the developing and young side,now it will be the time to deliver,that not only includes the playing squad but the coaching staff and admin….the time has come to produce quality performance and making the finals…the excuses have now run out…the only detail now to fix is the cap which by next year should be finalised…WTs forever…

• I still don’t think we are a top 8 side. We’re mid table, at best.
    Canberra showed up our biggest weakness - our forward pack.

'Nuff said

• @cqtiger:

I still don’t think we are a top 8 side. We’re mid table, at best.

'Nuff said

Hoenstly most of the people in the forum agree with you. Very optimistic about 2017 and beyond. Just being realistic. I have lost a lot of interest in league in the past 24 months. Even with a half decimated comp last year we still could not crack the 8 and the only one held accountable was our state of origin hooker

• @tsjonathan:

@cqtiger:

'Nuff said

Hoenstly most of the people in the forum agree with you. Very optimistic about 2017 and beyond. Just being realistic. I have lost a lot of interest in league in the past 24 months. Even with a half decimated comp last year we still could not crack the 8 and the only one held accountable was our state of origin hooker

This is such an exhausting argument. Every year teams under and over achieve. 2016 wasn’t the first year this ever happened. It will happen again in 2017 too.

• So do we just thread water until 2018 comes around? That’s a very negative attitude.

• @GNR4LIFE:

@tsjonathan:

@cqtiger:

'Nuff said

This is such an exhausting argument. Every year teams under and over achieve. 2016 wasn’t the first year this ever happened. It will happen again in 2017 too.

Fair enough but how did you rate the football last year relative to other seasons GNR?

• @Newtown:

So do we just thread water until 2018 comes around? That’s a very negative attitude.

Just hard supporting a team that has been statistically the worst in the league over the past 10 years,

• @GNR4LIFE:

@tsjonathan:

@cqtiger:

'Nuff said

Lets just hope that we are not one of those underachievers.

• @tsjonathan:

@Newtown:

So do we just thread water until 2018 comes around? That’s a very negative attitude.

Just hard supporting a team that has been statistically the worst in the league over the past 10 years,

What a load of crock. It’s hard to support the team if they don’t put in not hard to support a team if we just don’t have the skill set. Swings and roundabouts supporting the team is about the good and bad times.

On various fronts we showed improvement last year, time will tell but if we show more improvement next year whilst not decline especially on defense, durability and consistency then no reason they can’t make the 8.

• Consistency should be the word. Not stability.
    We need focus for 80 Mins. Not 20 mins of brilliance to scrape wins.
    I am very confident for 2017. The direction is right so let’s see what happens. Finals or bust.

• If we can tighten our defence to the point its ranked somewhere mid table, we have enough points in us to give the 8 a real shake. Our back row will be our achilles heal though.

• @GNR4LIFE:

If we can tighten our defence to the point its ranked somewhere mid table, we have enough points in us to give the 8 a real shake. Our back row will be our achilles heal though.

There is still a possibility of more trading yet.We could still pick up a decent backrower from another club.

• Banned

@jadtiger:

@GNR4LIFE:

If we can tighten our defence to the point its ranked somewhere mid table, we have enough points in us to give the 8 a real shake. Our back row will be our achilles heal though.

There is still a possibility of more trading yet.We could still pick up a decent backrower from another club.

Who is available? Would they be any better than what we already have?

• @Flippedy:

@jadtiger:

@GNR4LIFE:

Who is available? Would they be any better than what we already have?

People under contract get traded from every club so it would be someone on contract thats how we got Grant last year.We arguably have one of the worst backrows in the comp so virtually anyone would help.

Recent Topics