Unfiltered: Watson Heleta...

• ForumSupporter

Unfiltered: Watson Heleta

Dan Talintyre (Twitter: @dantalintyre)

Fri 16th December, 04:00PM

Watson Heleta talks about the year that was and the year to come.

No questions are off limits in our 2017 “Unfiltered” Player Profile videos.
    KEY HIGHLIGHTS

Heleta on… making the transition to fullback

“I found it really tough at the start. I started getting used to it, and as soon as that happened, I started to get move on and now I find it really enjoyable.”

Heleta on… learning from James Tedesco

“It’s great to get those tips from Teddy and the coaching staff on how to improve my game. They really help me along and help me get the job done. It’s awesome to work with Teddy. He’s really helpful with parts of my game that need improving — things like position and my timing. That’s something he executes really well and something I want to make part of my game.”

Heleta on… what it would mean to make his NRL debut

“It would mean everything to me. It’s what I always worked for when I moved over to Australia from New Zealand as a young lad, and it would mean everything. Everything that you’ve worked for, trained for, all the days you’ve put in… It would mean the world.”

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2016/12/16/unfiltered_watson_he.html

• ForumSupporter

Everything is good…

Hope to see Heleta in FG this year at some point…

• I don’t much chance to watch the other grades. Is Heleta looking like Tedesco’s backup for 2017?

• ForumSupporter

@Cosimo_Zaretti:

I don’t much chance to watch the other grades. Is Heleta looking like Tedesco’s backup for 2017?

Was moved to Fullback regularly for ISP just after mid-season…struggled early but later in the season and into the finals he grew into the position …was often one of our best…

Had a great game in the Pre-lim Final loss against Mounties…

I think the Club does see him as Teddy’s understudy…

Which begs the question are Rankin and Hunt now viewed as wingers… 😕

• Waste of time training up Heleta to be Tedesco’s understudy unless the club has given in to the fact that Tedesco won’t be with WT in the near future. Train him up and put the time into WH to be a centre, he doesn’t look to be a winger IMO. Not sure where WH will fit into our team TBH unless he really takes big strides in 2017.

• @Fade To Black:

Waste of time training up Heleta to be Tedesco’s understudy unless the club has given in to the fact that Tedesco won’t be with WT in the near future. Train him up and put the time into WH to be a centre, he doesn’t look to be a winger IMO. Not sure where WH will fit into our team TBH unless he really takes big strides in 2017.

could be a way to get him more ball in attack and versatility for the team (as well as the obvious replacement for teddy if injured, touch wood)

fullback is a good starting position for young players coming up and many transition into other positions as they move up the grades (boyd/hayne used to go to the wing/centre in rep footy, lockyer moving into the halves etc.)

Recent Topics