Anthony Tupou

• Anthony Tupou has been granted a release from Wakefield and is looking to return to the NRL.

The Sharks showed last season how valuable experience in the forward pack is and Tupou has well over 200 games worth of NRL experience. While he’s not the flashiest in attack he’s a very solid defender.

He’ll be 34 before next season starts but he’s just come off a Super League season where he played 25 games and the only games he missed for the Sharks in 2015 were as a result of his broken jaw at the knee of Konrad Hurrell.

I’ve got no idea if we have any cap space available for 2017 (or any capacity to make cap space available) but I think he’d be a handy addition for a season in a position where we’re very weak in terms of experience.

Thoughts?

The only gossip I’ve heard is that there are 3 NRL clubs “interested”. No idea who they are or whether we are one of them. We’re definitely one of the weakest in terms of 2nd row so it’s a possibility…

• He was finished 5 years ago.

• Possibly worth a thought

• Banned

@GNR4LIFE:

He was finished 5 years ago.

He was.finished 3 years ago but then somehow regained some form. I was very surprised at how well he was playing. At 34 its a risk, but an enquiry into how much he wants wouldnt hurt.

• Yeah he did seem to get a bit of a 2nd wind last time I saw him
    Doesn’t he have a lawsuit against the Sharks going?
    Might be preoccupied

• @innsaneink:

Yeah he did seem to get a bit of a 2nd wind last time I saw him
    Doesn’t he have a lawsuit against the Sharks going?
    Might be preoccupied

Yes he has added his list to the players suing the Sharks from 2011 in the last few days

• Could turn out to be a Cayless type purchase, but he would have been great to have had him in his hay day.

• wasnt the same player after he head butted Hurrell’s knee

• please oh please, no!

well past it, i dont think he’s going to have the longevity of someone like big willie. he’s done

• we don’t need any more forwards, unless some leave. we need backs.

• This in the past would be a type of signing we would have targeted, a player on his last legs who we think might be able to squeeze one more season out of at a budget price. Hopefully we have moved on from this negative type of signing. If they are not a standout, invest in what you have and keep pathways open for kids on the rise

• Pass on this one please.

• Sad thing is - if we do sign him, He’d probably be our best back rower…

• Tupou , Dave Taylor , Sandow , Carney
    Out of this lot if we were looking at any of them , value for money would be Todd Carney ,
    Can cover for Mosses and Brooks
    Kicks goals at around 79 percent
    On his last change with out a doubt , and would be on a stricked contract
    He would be a good back up

• @batboy:

Sad thing is - if we do sign him, He’d probably be our best back rower…

Yep the club must seriously look at trading Brooks for a quality back rower if he can’t live up to the hype in 2017

Recent Topics