Unfiltered: Jacob Liddle..

• ForumSupporter

Unfiltered: Jacob Liddle

Dan Talintyre (Twitter: @dantalintyre)

Mon 19th December, 07:00PM

Jacob Liddle talks about the year that was and the year to come.

No questions are off limits in our 2017 “Unfiltered” Player Profile videos.

To watch the full “Unfiltered” series, click here.

KEY HIGHLIGHTS
    Liddle on… making his NRL debut

“It was a big moment in my life and a big moment in my career. I sort of couldn’t believe it when JT told me I would be making my debut. On game day, it just felt like a dream. It was surreal. I think there’s definitely a bit of pressure off now given I’ve got my debut under my belt. I’ve just got to think about the year coming and get as much work done in pre-season.”

Liddle on… working with the spine

“You learn so much of those boys. Even just seeing how confident they are gives me confidence. They help me out and I just try to give them as best service as I can!”

Liddle on… his goals for the 2017 season

“I’ve just got to work on my game and prepared for what’s to come. There’s always things I can improve on, and my sole focus is just on playing my best footy. I’m not getting ahead of myself and know that there’s plenty of work to be done to make sure I’m there in Round 1.”

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2016/12/19/unfiltered_jacob_lid.html

• ForumSupporter

This kids progression will go a long way to us having a successful season…

Looking forward to watching him grow…

• Wish he’d show a bit more confidence in himself…

• I look forward to watching him play next year.

I hope we don’t coach the creative ability around the ruck out of him and expect him to be a ball scoop.

• @tigerap:

Wish he’d show a bit more confidence in himself…

Look at it this way

The guy knows he has a heap of work until he is ready for the NRL

Great attitude to have in my opinion

• @happy tiger:

@tigerap:

Look at it this way

Agree with Happy and don’t confuse showing confidence with having confidence. In fact those who often show it most often don’t have as much of it as you would think and those who have it most don’t need to show it

• @Boonboon2:

@happy tiger:

@tigerap:

Look at it this way

Agree with Happy and don’t confuse showing confidence with having confidence. In fact those who often show it most often don’t have as much of it as you would think and those who have it most don’t need to show it

and if you’re lacking in confidence … this might help …

• @Tiger Come Lately:

I look forward to watching him play next year.

I hope we don’t coach the creative ability around the ruck out of him and expect him to be a ball scoop.

That’s what JT wants as a Hooker!!... or is it as a hooker/ backrower …or as a winger/ hooker… or maybe as a half/ Hooker (a la Littlejohn)…?

• @goldcoast tiger:

@Tiger Come Lately:

That’s what JT wants as a Hooker!!... or is it as a hooker/ backrower …or as a winger/ hooker… or maybe as a half/ Hooker (a la Littlejohn)…?

I hope not, I would like to think that was just a ploy to push RF out of the team.

It makes no sense IMO to just pass the ball out of dummy half. It takes precious time away from your halves and allows the opposition defence to shift in unison.

A playmaking 9 will always have the defence in two minds and your more of a chance of creating a gap for your halves to play at if the defence is in two minds.

Other wise just get rid of your hooker and play another prop or second rower in there that can help bash the opposition into submission, but before you can do that you must have a big pack to start with and we don’t have that. We have a skill full young 9 so he has to have the team play to player strengths.

• @goldcoast tiger:

@Tiger Come Lately:

Well, we are now certain we won’t have an NFL hooker 😃

• @tigerap:

Careful with what you wish for. I’d prefer a humble calculated hardworking player to complement the confidence of Moses and Teddy.

• @Tigerdon:

@tigerap:

Careful with what you wish for. I’d prefer a humble calculated hardworking player to complement the confidence of Moses and Teddy.

Also, I think there is a probably a difference between confidence on field vs confidence with media. Something he isn’t used to yet.

• @Tiger Come Lately:

@goldcoast tiger:

@Tiger Come Lately:

I hope not, I would like to think that was just a ploy to push RF out of the team.

It makes no sense IMO to just pass the ball out of dummy half. It takes precious time away from your halves and allows the opposition defence to shift in unison.

A playmaking 9 will always have the defence in two minds and your more of a chance of creating a gap for your halves to play at if the defence is in two minds.

Other wise just get rid of your hooker and play another prop or second rower in there that can help bash the opposition into submission, but before you can do that you must have a big pack to start with and we don’t have that. We have a skill full young 9 so he has to have the team play to player strengths.

It is my opinion that JT was not installing a game plan to limit the attack from the hooker, but rather to specifically curtail Farah’s default attack pattern, which was becoming blunted.

Cherrington did not lack for attacking ability, in fact that’s mostly what he had, but once you decide that Cherrington cannot handle the defensive load of firsts, and you can’t select Liddle due to 2nd tier cap, you are left with makeshift options like Halatau. In that scenario, you want a Halatau option to just tackle and pass, and let the young halves do the singing.

But back to Farah, his left-foot grubber was still a good option at the line, as was his tactical kick and chase, though he had a slightly bad habit of doing it closer to tackle 3 or 4 at times. Whilst I am not against the concept of early kick and chase, Tigers are not currently the kind of defensive unit to give up possession and hope to bury the opposition in their own 25.

Robbie’s running game was deteriorating in 2016 - his run selection was still good, but he just lacked that turn of foot he used to have, and he isn’t strong enough to make barraging runs of the Isaac Luke type. I also felt that the refs went really soft on squareness of markers all season which hurt ruck creativity.

In the old days Farah was terrific at picking when to run and when to pass, and he would always engage offside markers, but regularly did not get the penalties he deserved. He probably got 50% of the penalties that should have been blown all career. In 2016 that rate fell to next to nothing: the refs were not interested and his slight loss of pace gave the defensive line a fraction more time to get onside.

I feel where Farah really fell down in 2016 was his pass selection, and I think this went a long way to what forced him out. Frankly he held the ball too long and wasn’t getting his forwards consistently over the advantage line. Cam Smith holds the footy a lot but he is still really good at either drawing the markers or stepping quickly out from the mark to give his pack some space on the advantage line. Robbie was continually hesitating, looking for attacking opportunities and his forwards were being hurt with the delay in the pass, as were the backs ultimately. Have a serious think about how easily you can picture in your memory, Farah picking up the footy, hesitating with the pass, having his forward over-run him and being swarmed by the markers, tucking the ball under his left arm and raising his right arm over his head to push off the attackers. It was a regular site and hookers should not be regularly getting caught like that.

I guarantee Rd 1 next year if Farah plays, we will be getting up fast on him and crowding the ruck.

Liddle, well he is halfback-quick over short distances, tall enough to get his arms free and has a good pass on him. I expect he will be given instruction to test a retreating defensive line but focus on getting the ball away early at the start and end of the tackle count. He needs to put passes out in front of Broses at chest height, there was way too much leaping for catches for the halves last year. If you watch your halves jump for the ball consistently once per set or more, that means the distribution is poor. They need to be running onto it.

• Good analysis of RF strengths and weaknesses and the impact they have on the players that depended on him.

• @jirskyr:

@Tiger Come Lately:

@goldcoast tiger:

@Tiger Come Lately:

It is my opinion that JT was not installing a game plan to limit the attack from the hooker, but rather to specifically curtail Farah’s default attack pattern, which was becoming blunted.

Cherrington did not lack for attacking ability, in fact that’s mostly what he had, but once you decide that Cherrington cannot handle the defensive load of firsts, and you can’t select Liddle due to 2nd tier cap, you are left with makeshift options like Halatau. In that scenario, you want a Halatau option to just tackle and pass, and let the young halves do the singing.

But back to Farah, his left-foot grubber was still a good option at the line, as was his tactical kick and chase, though he had a slightly bad habit of doing it closer to tackle 3 or 4 at times. Whilst I am not against the concept of early kick and chase, Tigers are not currently the kind of defensive unit to give up possession and hope to bury the opposition in their own 25.

Robbie’s running game was deteriorating in 2016 - his run selection was still good, but he just lacked that turn of foot he used to have, and he isn’t strong enough to make barraging runs of the Isaac Luke type. I also felt that the refs went really soft on squareness of markers all season which hurt ruck creativity.

In the old days Farah was terrific at picking when to run and when to pass, and he would always engage offside markers, but regularly did not get the penalties he deserved. He probably got 50% of the penalties that should have been blown all career. In 2016 that rate fell to next to nothing: the refs were not interested and his slight loss of pace gave the defensive line a fraction more time to get onside.

I feel where Farah really fell down in 2016 was his pass selection, and I think this went a long way to what forced him out. Frankly he held the ball too long and wasn’t getting his forwards consistently over the advantage line. Cam Smith holds the footy a lot but he is still really good at either drawing the markers or stepping quickly out from the mark to give his pack some space on the advantage line. Robbie was continually hesitating, looking for attacking opportunities and his forwards were being hurt with the delay in the pass, as were the backs ultimately. Have a serious think about how easily you can picture in your memory, Farah picking up the footy, hesitating with the pass, having his forward over-run him and being swarmed by the markers, tucking the ball under his left arm and raising his right arm over his head to push off the attackers. It was a regular site and hookers should not be regularly getting caught like that.

I guarantee Rd 1 next year if Farah plays, we will be getting up fast on him and crowding the ruck.

Liddle, well he is halfback-quick over short distances, tall enough to get his arms free and has a good pass on him. I expect he will be given instruction to test a retreating defensive line but focus on getting the ball away early at the start and end of the tackle count. He needs to put passes out in front of Broses at chest height, there was way too much leaping for catches for the halves last year. If you watch your halves jump for the ball consistently once per set or more, that means the distribution is poor. They need to be running onto it.

Good summary mate. I actually think Robbie’s kicking game esp close to the line let us down more than not over the last couple of seasons - he rarely got the ball into the in-goal. Also he & our halves were guilty of kicking early in the tackle count way too often. Like you say, this works well if we have the D to pin a side down in their own 20 & force a mistake but we haven’t been able to do that consistently as yet. I still think Robbie has a lot to offer for souths but he needs to be more selective & less predictable - not something we need to worry about anymore.

Really looking forward to seeing Liddle progressing into 1sts though. He seems super keen & has a lot to offer.

73 more sleeps…

Recent Topics