McIlwrick: Young Tigers have Shark-like traits

• McIlwrick: Young Tigers have Shark-like traits

Fri 30 Dec, 2016, 11:18am
    By Tony Webeck ‌, Chief Queensland Correspondent , NRL.com

He has seen first-hand what it takes to win the NRL Telstra Premiership and new Wests Tigers hooker Matt McIlwrick believes his new club boasts the type of traits that took the Sharks all the way in 2016.

Still just 25 years of age, the Tigers represent McIlwrick’s fourth NRL club after previous stints with the Raiders, Roosters and Sharks in 2016.

Although he featured in just two games for Cronulla in their historic season he was part of the training sessions that carried them all the way and believes there are similarities in what he has seen in his first couple of months at the Tigers.

“It was good to be part of the premiership-winning side, I got a couple of games in last year and I guess now what I can say is that I know what it takes to win a premiership,” McIlwrick told Tigers TV.

"I saw the training all the boys put in day in and day out and especially the unity that the Sharks had last year and I feel a very similar thing here at the Tigers.

"All the boys are very tight and I see good things for the future of this club. The energy that the young blokes bring to training every day is second to none and that’s what you need in a footy side.

"We’ve got a good mix of young blokes and a few older heads so it’s a pretty exciting time, especially for those younger guys in those senior roles.

“There are good things going forward and hopefully we can win a premiership next year.”

The departure of club stalwart Robbie Farah opens the door for a new No.9 to make their name at the Wests Tigers with McIlwrick wedged in between veteran Matt Ballin and outstanding prospect Jacob Liddle who made his NRL debut in Round 18 this year.

With the established halves pairing of Luke Brooks and Mitchell Moses and the brilliant James Tedesco at fullback, McIlwrick admitted that slotting straight into the Tigers spine requires plenty of extra homework.

“Obviously coming to a new club you’ve got to learn a fair bit, different plays and different names for things but those boys have been great for me,” McIlwrick said.

“They’re young and enthusiastic and already you’ve got one of the best halves and fullback combination in the game so exciting times ahead.”

With 29 NRL games across five seasons at four different clubs, McIlwrick admits that 2017 shapes as a critical one in his career and that he is eager to turn his one-year deal at the Tigers into a more long-term association.

“It’s a pretty big year for me. I’ve been at a few clubs now and I don’t really want to be going anywhere else,” he said.

“It’s a massive year for me in terms of opportunity. If I do get an opportunity to play I’ve got to take it with both hands.”

• Good attitude

Knows he is at the last stop saloon ,makes him desperate

We need lots of desperate footballers if we are going to make a dint in 2017

• Hopefully he doesn’t end up like the majority of these type of signings we often make

• I hate fluff pieces. This is another.
    Shut the hell up and start winning and I’ll believe.

• @matchball:

I hate fluff pieces. This is another.

Breaking News
    Tigers memberships have plummeted after they refused to speak to any press during the pre-season.

“What a mess my old club has become,” said former Tigers great Steve Roach. “I mean, how do you expect to attract any new members if you won’t even talk to NRL website? The board have been doing this for years. They should be gone.”

Tigers legend Paul Sironen pointed out that his son Curtis did many wonderful fluff pieces when he was at the club. “He was great, but Taylor told him to shut up until they start winning.”

Meanwhile, new recruit Matt McIlwrick has privately admitted that his new club were very different to his former club, the premiership-winning Sharks. “They’re pretty hopeless. You’re better off becoming a GWS member.”

• Banned

@Masterton:

@matchball:

I hate fluff pieces. This is another.

Breaking News
    Tigers memberships have plummeted after they refused to speak to any press during the pre-season.

“What a mess my old club has become,” said former Tigers great Steve Roach. “I mean, how do you expect to attract any new members if you won’t even talk to NRL website? The board have been doing this for years. They should be gone.”

Tigers legend Paul Sironen pointed out that his son Curtis did many wonderful fluff pieces when he was at the club. “He was great, but Taylor told him to shut up until they start winning.”

Meanwhile, new recruit Matt McIlwrick has privately admitted that his new club were very different to his former club, the premiership-winning Sharks. “They’re pretty hopeless. You’re better off becoming a GWS member.”

Exaclty.

While i get the frustration at fluff pieces, the alternative is much worse.

• Looks like our boys are loading up on the peptides then……how very Shark-like.
    As long as we get the weak as p suspensions they all got then it would be worth it.

• Let’s hope Woods and Tedesco don’t start exhibiting the same traits of Fifita and Barba which landed that Sharks duo deep trouble during 2016.

• @Newtown:

Let’s hope Woods and Tedesco don’t start exhibiting the same traits of Fifita and Barba which landed that Sharks duo deep trouble during 2016.

The sharks players mentioned had demonstrated similar “culture” before joining the sharks. They are a champion club, take anyone in the name of winning & attempt to deflect any negative publicity.

• ForumSupporter

Unfiltered: Matt McIlwrick

Dan Talintyre (Twitter: @dantalintyre)
    Thu 29th December, 08:00AM
    Matt McIlwrick talks about the year that was and the year to come.

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2016/12/21/unfiltered_matt_mcil.html

McIlwrick’s interview was one of the better one’s…speaks very well…

• I don’t know much about Matt,but from watching his interview he is a very level headed and down to earth person,I sincerely hope he makes the best of his opportunity at the WTs and this season he has an outstanding year….he also seems genuine to want to make this club home for quite awhile…best of luck Matt…thank you Geo for the link…cheers…

• @TrueTiger:

I don’t know much about Matt,but from watching his interview he is a very level headed and down to earth person,I sincerely hope he makes the best of his opportunity at the WTs and this season he has an outstanding year….he also seems genuine to want to make this club home for quite awhile…best of luck Matt…thank you Geo for the link…cheers…

Or you could thank Willow 😃

• @happy tiger:

@TrueTiger:

I don’t know much about Matt,but from watching his interview he is a very level headed and down to earth person,I sincerely hope he makes the best of his opportunity at the WTs and this season he has an outstanding year….he also seems genuine to want to make this club home for quite awhile…best of luck Matt…thank you Geo for the link…cheers…

yes Happy I will thank Willow for the article,but I did watch the interview from the link in Geos previous post…Its New Year and you are starting to nit pick already…you would have to be the best stirrer on the forum,subtle little jibes here and there,but thankfully we are on to you,I suppose that’s what Qlders like to do most…STIR…I’m coming up to your great state in a couple of weeks…going to meet Palms, one of our forum members in beautiful Mooloolabah…cant wait… 😎

• The hooker merry go round at the Tigers is so unpredictable that McIlwrick could finish the season with the starting number 9 jersey locked up, or he could spend his whole career with the Tigers in cup til he jumps to the next club.

• @TrueTiger:

@happy tiger:

@TrueTiger:

yes Happy I will thank Willow for the article,but I did watch the interview from the link in Geos previous post…Its New Year and you are starting to nit pick already…you would have to be the best stirrer on the forum,subtle little jibes here and there,but thankfully we are on to you,I suppose that’s what Qlders like to do most…STIR…I’m coming up to your great state in a couple of weeks…going to meet Palms, one of our forum members in beautiful Mooloolabah…cant wait… 😎

You should invite Watto to your shindig

Or your could have your shindig at Watto’s restaurant

Recent Topics