Tigers must make the most of 2017

• Tigers must make the most of 2017

Tue 03 Jan, 2017, 2:30pm
    By Martin Gabor ‌, National Correspondent , NRL.com

Following a year of near misses, Wests Tigers prop Ava Seumanufagai believes his club is ready to go one better in 2017 and end its five-year absence from the coveted NRL Telstra Premiership top eight.

There were plenty of positive signs from one of the competition’s youngest teams last season, and the time is right for the Tigers’ bright stars to step up and take their games to new heights.

With the quartet of James Tedesco, Mitch Moses, Luke Brooks and Aaron Woods all off contract at the end of 2017, Seumanufagai said it was imperative for the team to lift next season to avoid any ‘what could have been’ scenarios.

“There’s a core centre of boys who have been together for a while now,” he told Tigers TV as part of their Unfiltered series.

"Last year we got to see that come into play with everyone talking about all the younger boys growing up and becoming more experienced.

"I think it’s getting to that stage now where all of us boys have been together for a while and we know how we play.

“We might not be here next year – a lot of boys might move on – so we’ve really got to seize this year, seize this opportunity and give it everything for next year.”

Wests Tigers had a chance to make the finals last season but missed out on a spot in the top eight after being thrashed by the Raiders 52-10 at Leichhardt Oval in Round 26.

It was a frustrating finish for the Tigers who finished on 26 competition points - just one shy of the eighth-placed Titans – especially given their record in tight matches.

Jason Taylor’s men lost three of their four matches that were decided by two points or less, including a one-point defeat in the final minute to the Titans in Round 23 that ultimately cost them a spot in the playoffs.

Seumanufagai said the playing group would use that as motivation in 2017 and would not make the same mistakes twice with games in the balance.

“The little games count. There were a few close games that we had throughout the year, and just one of those wins would have taken us there (to the finals),” he said.

"I think we just need to win one of those really close games [because] you never know which game will count towards the end.

“We’re a better team than last year and we were so close to making it so I’m really excited.”

Rather than copy what other teams have been doing, Seumanufagai believes the Tigers’ best hope of returning to the finals is to embrace their own identity and play their own style of football.

“You’ve got to find a difference in something other teams aren’t doing and you’ve got to make sure that you’re doing that,” he said.

“All the NRL teams are doing the same thing and same plays so we’ve got to make sure we’re doing more or something to add a difference.”

Seumanufagai and rookie Josh Aloiai were the only Tigers to play all 24 matches last season, and as he approaches his fifth season in the NRL, the 25-year-old took some time to reflect on his impending 100-game milestone.

“It honestly feels like I debuted last year. The older boys when they say ‘time flies’ I guess it really does. I’m still young at heart though,” he laughed.

"[I’ve learned] to be honest with yourself as a trainer and as a person, and goal-setting helps as well.

“Whenever I’m on – either at the start of the game or the middle of the game – I’ve just got to do my job and I know that the team and everyone else is counting on me so that’s on my shoulders.”

• Banned

Blah blah blah.

• ForumSupporter

Unfiltered: Ava Seumanufagai

Dan Talintyre (Twitter: @dantalintyre)

Tue 3rd January, 09:00AM
    Ava Seumanufagai talks about the year that was and the year to come.

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2016/12/21/unfiltered_ava_seuma.html

Article taken from Ava’s unfiltered interview…Only one SEUMANUFAGAI…

• Banned

@stryker:

Blah blah blah.

Lol if there was a competition for talking it up ad nauseum in the media each season, we’d win every year!

• Rather than copy what other teams have been doing, Seumanufagai believes the Tigers’ best hope of returning to the finals is to embrace their own identity and play their own style of football.

We been doing this since sheens…. Doesn’t work

• @innsaneink:

Rather than copy what other teams have been doing, Seumanufagai believes the Tigers’ best hope of returning to the finals is to embrace their own identity and play their own style of football.

Deja vu all over again(apologies to Yogi Berra)

• Tigers must make the most of 2017

"I think it’s getting to that stage now where all of us boys have been together for a while and we know how we play.

“We might not be here next year – a lot of boys might move on – so we’ve really got to seize this year, seize this opportunity and give it everything for next year.”

Oh god, what is that supposed to mean??

• @innsaneink:

We need to harden the hell up and scrap the deadwood asap

When that happens we might become a serious contender

• @Born tiger:

Probably the fact we have 21 players off contract.

• @GNR4LIFE:

@Born tiger:

Plus the coach too.

• “Rather than copy what other teams have been doing, Seumanufagai believes the Tigers’ best hope of returning to the finals is to embrace their own identity and play their own style of football.”

I actually thought that JT was trying to make the Tigers play a structure like other teams. It seems that Sheens just kept the team as a free flow structure. Mick Potter seemed to coach like Sheens. Both appeared to be people coaches but the tigers had the most free flowing play, poor structure in defence and good attack.

I had thought JT was trying to get team structure and kicked Farah because he kept trying to do everything. Am I wrong?

• @GNR4LIFE:

@Born tiger:

If they don’t perform expect a few to be moved on…

If they don’t perform expect many to be moved on.

• @GNR4LIFE:

@Born tiger:

Also that we can no longer use the excuse of being a young team with no experience

• @Born tiger:

We are getting rid of all our plodders and going to buy a premiership side like the chooks and manly like to do. 😈 Role on 2018 :righton: Or maybe not

• The only sentence that means anything in here is “We might not be here next year – a lot of boys might move on”.

If 2017 is the last year for this team’s window they might as well give up now and start planning for the next time they might dream of being competitive. I saw absolutely nothing in 2016 to convince me that this side will be a contender this year. They didn’t beat anyone good, they folded at the first sign of real intensity, the defence was barely improved if at all, and they haven’t subsequently made transformative signings.

If even more of the club’s cap money is going to be locked up in players that are already on the books, ie there will be even less available for the supporting cast, then I’m afraid we’re knackered unless we somehow get inspired coaching (which = a new coach, in my view) or find TPA cash the likes of which were previously unimagined.

The squad as currently set up and coached can dream of 7th-8th and an early finals exit, or more plausibly 10th-12th and avoiding embarrassment. I believe it was Einstein who defined insanity as “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”. That’s the Tigers right now - hoping that the halves somehow step up to a new level while simultaneously giving them a pack of nuffies, a slow back line and a mediocre at best coach. And it’s going nowhere fast.

Recent Topics