Toovey Wants Back In

• By Greg Prichard
    January 5, 2017

GEOFF Toovey says his passion for rugby league will never wane and that he continues to seek a return to the game in some capacity while he works full-time as a chartered accountant.

The Manly legend, who was sacked as Sea Eagles coach in 2015, tells RLW he is open to opportunities that may arise not only in coaching, but also the administrative and financial sectors of the game.

Toovey was interviewed for the head coaching job at the Warriors, but the club decided to go with Stephen Kearney.

Being an assistant coach, as some former head coaches including David Furner and Steve Price have done to stay involved in the game, is another thing he would be interested in.

“I’d like to think I’ll be back in the game,” Toovey says.

“I’ve always wanted to get involved again and although I’ve obviously had a history in coaching I’m open to anything that might come up in other areas of the game.

“I’d like to think I’ve got something to offer and I can certainly say I’ve never been afraid of hard work. I’ve kept working all along as a charted accountant while I’ve been seeking opportunities in the game, but it’s been hard.”

Toovey has made a name for himself in the media, with his part-time work for Fox Sports. He is a regular panellist on the NRL 360 show and says he is looking forward to continuing with that in 2017.

But, ideally, it would be as part of a total involvement with the game.

“I’ll keep looking and I’ll be ready if an opportunity arises,” he says.

• Not suggesting anything, but who knows… We may need one at the end of the year.

• Toovey’s coaching record was commendable only 'cause he,liked Bennett, coached a very good team… put him/them in charge of the knights and they’d be clueless

• @tigerap:

Toovey’s coaching record was commendable only 'cause he,liked Bennett, coached a very good team… put him/them in charge of the knights and they’d be clueless

I dunno if the Knights are the best reference here…no doubt Bennett got the Knights to overachieve when he took them to the semis one year. Says a bit about his qualities as a coach. Last year’s Knights team were entirely devoid of quality players, with the exception of Gagai and Hodgko. Reminded me of those awful Wests, Balmain and Souths teams from 20 years back. Not even Bellamy could have got more than 2 wins from that Knights team.

• @tigerap:

Toovey’s coaching record was commendable only 'cause he,liked Bennett, coached a very good team… put him/them in charge of the knights and they’d be clueless

Toovey is a much better coach than Brown. His team can’t even do the basics right

• @krayola:

@tigerap:

I dunno if the Knights are the best reference here…no doubt Bennett got the Knights to overachieve when he took them to the semis one year. Says a bit about his qualities as a coach. Last year’s Knights team were entirely devoid of quality players, with the exception of Gagai and Hodgko. Reminded me of those awful Wests, Balmain and Souths teams from 20 years back. Not even Bellamy could have got more than 2 wins from that Knights team.

They should of been winless :brick:

• Toovey is a very competitive and passionate person so was Tommy R, doesn’t mean they can coach!!

Not saying he is a bad coach, but I would have a few in front of him if I was picking a new man. Anyway there is probably a pretty fair chance we will be looking for a new man in 2018 so I guess Toovey will throw his hat in the ring

• ForumSupporter

I love Tooves…would have him for the presser’s alone…

Our players Coach themselves anyway…

• @Geo.:

I love Tooves…would have him for the presser’s alone…

Our players Coach themselves anyway…

Is Toovey still laughing at us ??

• @krayola:

@tigerap:

Bennett got the Knights to overachieve by signing some very good players at the end of their careers to long term contracts that no-one else would offer them. It got the knights to the finals one year, and crueled them for the next 5 through their salary cap being shot.

• Banned

Don’t forget he commands a big salary. More than double what we pay now.
    Explain to me where we’ll miraculously find that money.
    Don’t say Harry T, the bloke is in his 90’s and still won’t have fun with his billions. If he won’t now he never will.

It’s deadbeats or noobs for us.

Recent Topics