Cronull Re-sign Barba

• Barba, Sharks to wait on NRL registration

By Scott Bailey
    an hour ago

It took just 71 days after releasing Ben Barba for Cronulla to re-sign him, but the NRL might not allow him to join the team so soon on the training paddock. The Sharks confirmed on Wednesday they had re-signed their controversial fullback to a new one-year deal, pending the NRL’s registration of the contract.

It came just a little over two months after Barba was released following his second positive test to illicit drugs in less than a year - netting him a 12-game suspension he would still have to serve. But the club believes he is ready to continue his NRL career. “(Barba) has worked diligently on making his return to the NRL a reality and is continuing his well-being program,” the Sharks said in a statement.
    “Our club met with Barba and his management to discuss the new contract proposal for consideration by the NRL.”

The NRL will still need to be convinced, though. At the top of its concerns will be whether Barba has undergone enough steps to return to the game after testing positive to cocaine in the midst of grand final celebrations. Barba headed to Thailand for a four-week stint in a rehabilitation clinic following the ban, but his manager claimed at the time the stay was for an anxiety disorder, and not drug-related.

If his contract is registered, AAP understands he might be forced to wait until just before his anticipated June return date before he can train with Cronulla again, in keeping with the general practice of the NRL. The 27-year-old would also be on his final drugs warning, with a third breach likely to lead to contract termination under the NRL’s illicit drug policy. Barba recorded his first strike at the end of the 2015 season, but looked a new man when he scored 15 tries and set up another 18 to help the Sharks to last year’s premiership.

©AAP2017

• I hope the NRL ensure he is included in there cap at his previous nominated value or this will be the biggest rort in NRL history!

• Im shocked. No one saw this coming, or the Sharks benefitting capwise because of it.

Im aghast!

• Masterstroke by the Sharks if they pull it off.

• Uncle Nick will be lining up a fat TPA for Holmes who wants to play fullback.

• The NRL had already put a kibosh on this I read a couple of days ago

Unless they have had a massive backflip I call BS

• @happy tiger:

The NRL had already put a kibosh on this I read a couple of days ago

Unless they have had a massive backflip I call BS

The NRL had told the sharks he couldn’t train with them unless he was contracted. I think the sharks were trying to get away with not signing him until his ban was over thereby saving some cap space.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/sharks/nrl-block-ben-barbas-return-from-drugs-ban-for-cronulla-sharks/news-story/d4abe778409686ecc0b1ee2f5e90213c

• @Swordy:

Im shocked. No one saw this coming, or the Sharks benefitting capwise because of it.

Im aghast!

The sharks will reap the benefits.There have precedents before of “favoured” clubs getting dodgy treatment,Gasnier being signed for peanuts with a backended contract and then being allowed to retire before his real value kicked in/Broncos every year with a very generous interpretation of TPA and cap restrictions.
    Unfortunately WT and our 2 parent clubs have never been given the same luxury.

• The Sharks would have known they had no chance of getting Barba back on the field early, its more about getting a cheap contract in place for when his ban is over and as others have said the NRL must step in and make sure the Shark’s cap reflects his market value and not what they are so called paying him on the books

• Scam

• What a punishment for Barba. Gets “sacked” for 2 months, so gets no drug-testing during that period.

• Always had a soft spot for the Sharks when they were the perennial losers but in recent times I have gone off them ,they just seem to be a very shifty club at present, not that you would trust any club ours included

• @jadtiger:

@Swordy:

Im shocked. No one saw this coming, or the Sharks benefitting capwise because of it.

Im aghast!

The sharks will reap the benefits.There have precedents before of “favoured” clubs getting dodgy treatment,Gasnier being signed for peanuts with a backended contract and then being allowed to retire before his real value kicked in/Broncos every year with a very generous interpretation of TPA and cap restrictions.

As long as you know i was kidding……

Some do get to run by the rules whilst others write their own.

• @Swordy:

@jadtiger:

@Swordy:

Im aghast!

As long as you know i was kidding……

Some do get to run by the rules whilst others write their own.

Yes i know you were tongue in cheek.nobody is surprised by 1 rule for some clubs and different rules for others.Sadly we always miss out

• Sharks treat the game with contempt

Recent Topics