Do we have the depth required

• I have been optimistic about our 2017 campaign and that is not like me. With Farahgate over and the young guns a season older and wiser I think things look okay, but like most years our depth really worries me.

I think we are okay in the front row, okay in the halves, but outside backs the cupboard is nearly bare and back row is not much better. In the last two years we have had a pretty good run with injuries but if they strike and strike in our weak positions we are in real trouble.

Okay we have some real good young kids coming up from the 20s, but I do not class them as depth players yet. My definition of a depth player is a player who can walk into the side, have plenty of experience and get a job done.

I suppose most teams are in a similar boat with the salary cap putting a massive pressure on your depth reserves, but I know teams like the Sharks,Cowboys,chooks and Raiders seem to loose little when they have a backrower out injured or a outside back.

I guess time will tell, but depth is one area I think we have gone backwards in 2017

• Banned

The common theme is that we have little depth in the backrow and out wide, but i dont necessary agree with that. We have many options in the backrow, granted none are all that exciting outside Alioai, but an injury or 2 is covered by players of similar ilk IMO. Our top 3 going from last year will be Lawrence, Alioai and Taylor. Outside that we have
    Edwards
    MCK
    Lovett?
    Sue can switch there with our front row depth
    Marsters
    Wes Lolo has all the talent in the world
    Possibly Idris
    So there are 7 genuine options outside our starters.

Outwide when you look at last years starting team, Idris comes in for either Kev or Rankin.

That leaves Kev/Rankin, Heleta, MCK and Hunt as back ups.

We wouldnt want any more than 2 injuries in these areas but i reckon all clubs would be like that.

If a coach has 3 or 4 guys to choose from when an injury hits then i think thats acceptable and we have 4 to 6 back ups so we are ok as far as numbers and options go, just maybe down a little qaulity.

Our starting team doesnt look red hot as it is so we can expect to have qaulity proven replacements playing state cup.

• In all honesty, luck often is required for a premiership win, though depth too has something to say, like in 05 we had a lot of decent depth players in reserve.

Depth kinda comes and goes with the times - I’d say salary cap evens that out. By looking at squads, yes, Sharks had terrific depth last year with the likes of Brown x 2, McIlwrick, Sene-Lefao, Capewell (debut but long QCup career), Beale and Paulo, but lost a few from that list this year - a few injuries and the squad could be in trouble.

Similarly Roosters - '13 to '15 almost golden run, no injuries, great depth, then lose Maloney, Sheck, Pearce/Cordner/JWH for half the season and they’re up shit creek with no paddle and a ton of guys with less than 10 games to their name running around for them. Cowboys have had a good run with injuries and great depth past 2 years - but Hannant/Tamou gone and a lot of decent first graders leaving the reserves in search of greener pastures (not to mention they haven’t blooded many rookies lately bar Hess and Ponga) leaves them a fair bit thinner than previous years. Raiders again, great year injury wise last year, Paulo huge bonus (no one could think Vaughan could sit around in reggies for another year, Fensom a bit older and less explosive, but would still get the job done).

Really look forward to seeing Marsters - hope he can be a permanent fixture. Guys like MCK and Edwards could get more game time this year with uninterrupted pre-seasons, McIlwrick and Idris look the goods, more time for Taylor to gel with the team – yes, it’s got that feel for me that the pieces fit like that old Tool song Schism. Only issue is the Big 4 all off contract at once - if I’m not mistaken they’re all close mates and have a tight-knit group which could factor into some signing package, and is it next year the cap increases?

If we don’t make the 8 in 2017 not only will JT have failed as a coach completely, but it will be the longest finals drought the club will have had. Club pride is on the line.

• I think we put to much emphasis on depth, from what i know its not depth that gets you into the top 4 its few injuries to your first grade selection (not taking form/player quality etc. into consideration).

From what I recall majority of the clubs that make the top 4 in a season do so with only 18 - 20 players. At this stage we only have 2 players that are most likely to get selected for SOO so we need cover for them for 3 games maybe 2 if the byes work in our favour. So only injuries will put pressure on our depth.

• lack of injuries is usually the key to making the playoffs.If you knew before the season started how many first graders you will use in the year then you should have a fair indication of how you will go. 20-23 players is great 27-30 is not good 31+ will be a disastrous year.lets hope injuries are kept to a minimum

• I guess its not the depth Iam questioning rather than the experience and quality. Woods and Tedesco will both need replacing during SOO before we even talk injury. I suppose Rankin or Hunt covers Teddy and we have a few options for Woods. I just think if we have a centre or winger go down we are in all sorts of bother and it will happen, Simona has doggie hamstrings and other injuries will happen its the nature of the game. Backrow we have plenty of options but can they do the job and can they play long minutes???

• AT the end of the year generally the club that users the least players are the ones up the top end of the table. Under Taylor we have improved the strength and conditioning so I am not as worried as I was under Potter when injuries occured left, right and centre. Really there are only 3 or 4 clubs thjat have any decent depth across the board.

We have very little depth in the forwards even our starting backrowers look average. The outside backs maybe we have afford the odd injury or in the halves however in the engine room the cupboard looks pretty bare.

Just have to hope those Top 20-21 players don’t miss too much football.

• @supercoach:

I guess its not the depth Iam questioning rather than the experience and quality. Woods and Tedesco will both need replacing during SOO before we even talk injury. I suppose Rankin or Hunt covers Teddy and we have a few options for Woods. I just think if we have a centre or winger go down we are in all sorts of bother and it will happen, Simona has doggie hamstrings and other injuries will happen its the nature of the game. Backrow we have plenty of options but can they do the job and can they play long minutes???

If we start with:
    1. Teddy
    2. Nofo
    3. Simona (covers centre or wing)
    4. Idris
    5. Naiqama (covers centre or wing)

The depth is (in no particular order):
    MCK (to play centre)
    Hunt (wing/FB)
    Rankin (wing/FB)
    Heleta (centre/wing/FB)
    Marsters (to play centre)
    Ryland Jacobs (centre/wing)

It’s not that bad really, three of those guys have some NRL experience.

• No

And we all know it

• I know it’s a long shot but, if idris has a stand out start to the season any chance he might get call up for origin? That might stretch our depth in the backline.

• We have no depth in the second row, wing and centre. Our starting 17 is looking competitive but one or two injuries and our backups will cost us games. It happens every year.

The only positive is we won’t see Lovett in the centres again

• Our depth is average at best. Much like our firsts. But, they all have a point to prove this year and I’m hoping that this year might just be a real surprise. Guys playing for contracts, a lot of similar ability, competition for positions and a coach,who, given his future is on the line won’t be afraid to do what needs to be done to make the 8. If there was a belief last year that some were favourites, I don’t think this will be the case this year. It’s time for the guys to have a dig every week in both firsts and reggies. There’s a lot on the line for these blokes.

• @wd in perth:

Our depth is average at best. Much like our firsts. But, they all have a point to prove this year and I’m hoping that this year might just be a real surprise. Guys playing for contracts, a lot of similar ability, competition for positions and a coach,who, given his future is on the line won’t be afraid to do what needs to be done to make the 8. If there was a belief last year that some were favourites, I don’t think this will be the case this year. It’s time for the guys to have a dig every week in both firsts and reggies. There’s a lot on the line for these blokes.

What i would like to see is accountability. if someone is not performing put them in reggies and give someone who has a go a chance.I dont want to see players continually selected who dont perform.No more favouritism

• @jadtiger:

@wd in perth:

Our depth is average at best. Much like our firsts. But, they all have a point to prove this year and I’m hoping that this year might just be a real surprise. Guys playing for contracts, a lot of similar ability, competition for positions and a coach,who, given his future is on the line won’t be afraid to do what needs to be done to make the 8. If there was a belief last year that some were favourites, I don’t think this will be the case this year. It’s time for the guys to have a dig every week in both firsts and reggies. There’s a lot on the line for these blokes.

What i would like to see is accountability. if someone is not performing put them in reggies and give someone who has a go a chance.I dont want to see players continually selected who dont perform.No more favouritism

You may be right regarding accountability and then along comes the second tier salary cap to limit the changes you can make.

• @happy tiger:

No

And we all know it

Take a look the Cowboys or Storm team for their depth and you will see they aren’t better off than us

Recent Topics