Mobile phones banned from dressing rooms

• NRL bans mobile phone from dressing rooms
    SMH
    ROY MASTERS

In a move to shut down possible communication between NRL players and gamblers, mobile phones will be banned from dressing rooms on game day.

Channel Nine television footage has in the past shown players who have been injured during games, speaking on mobile phones. Such footage has sparked integrity concerns that an injured player could talk to betting agencies, or big punters, keen to know whether the player will return to the field.

In reality, the players are probably speaking to family members, possibly allaying fears of a serious injury, but half-truths, like half-bricks, travel further in NRL land, which is always keen to hear the negative connotation.

Coaches have embraced the ban, relieved that players will not be communicating on social media in the minutes before a match.

Given the distractions of social media and the small psychological and tactical advantages coaches seek, mobile phones are a continuing source of frustration. However, it is understood the NRL is introducing the ban solely for integrity reasons. Some players’ incoming texts could be inquiries from gamblers keen to know the starting team which, traditionally, an NRL club was only required to post one hour before the match.

In an allied move, NRL clubs will be required to name a squad of 21 players on a Tuesday, with two players to be deleted on the eve of the final training session. A squad of 17 must then be announced in the standard one hour before kick-off.

This is designed to prevent a club from ambushing an opponent with the unexpected return of a big-name player to the starting team. Betting agencies will welcome the latter move because of complaints from punters that they often lodge a bet early in the week and are also blind-sided by key, late changes.

While gambling outlets pay lucrative product fees for fielding on NRL teams and are required to co-operate with the NRL on integrity issues, they are entitled to complain their client teams sometimes deceive them with information.

Only four mobile phones will be allowed in an NRL dressing room – belonging to the club doctor, the football manager and two designated personnel. Players often use mobile phones to listen to music in the dressing room but will be able to access this via digital audio devices.

A possible mobile phone ban was raised last year with suggestions players would be forced to deposit them with club security before entering the dressing room but this is unlikely.

Rather, it’s anticipated self-regulation will apply, with coaches the co-operative policemen.

The ban and the new protocol regarding team changes will be tabled for approval at the next meeting of the ARLC on January 31.

• ForumSupporter

Wow…21 players on a Tuesday….we have enough moaning and groaning with just 17…

How are the deleted guys going to feel… 😢

• I suppose the deleted guys will be fine as even if the club has to name 21 they would tell the players during the week as they do now pending injuries.

More importantly this will ruin supercoach as no one will know who is playing before the lockout

• @Boonboon2:

I suppose the deleted guys will be fine as even if the club has to name 21 they would tell the players during the week as they do now pending injuries.

More importantly this will ruin supercoach as no one will know who is playing before the lockout

Yeah seriously that’s a major annoyance for Supercoach. I don’t want to have to check team lists an hour before every game!

• @Nelson:

@Boonboon2:

I suppose the deleted guys will be fine as even if the club has to name 21 they would tell the players during the week as they do now pending injuries.

Yeah seriously that’s a major annoyance for Supercoach. I don’t want to have to check team lists an hour before every game!

But it will stop any chance of players being named out of nowhere an hour before kick off which is an even greater annoyance.

• So if they were concerned who the players were ringing you would just get the police to check their phone records ….

Please tell me the NRL isn’t that stupid

Won’t work , players will know where the blind spots of the cameras in the dressing rooms are

We have so many grey areas in our game TPA’s , rules etc and the NRL is worried about this

I greatly want to swear

• @happy tiger:

So if they were concerned who the players were ringing you would just get the police to check their phone records ….

Won’t work , players will know where the blind spots of the cameras in the dressing rooms are

We have so many grey areas in our game TPA’s , rules etc and the NRL is worried about this

I greatly want to swear

You can’t just call the cops and ask them to check people’s phone records without any basis…

• ForumSupporter

@Nelson:

@Boonboon2:

I usually post the late changes in the NRL Fantasy Thread …will probably do so again this season so you can check there…1 stop Shop…

• @Nelson:

@happy tiger:

So if they were concerned who the players were ringing you would just get the police to check their phone records ….

I greatly want to swear

You can’t just call the cops and ask them to check people’s phone records without any basis…

And that’s why I said if the NRL has it concerns ……

• @happy tiger:

I greatly want to swear

That the game is partly funded by the gambling industry makes me “greatly want to swear”, and leaves it little choice to act in the circumstances. Finding an avenue to get rid of a tainted player manager would help to combat fixing, along with sorting out a cross Tasman player before the season starts.

The money sucked up by the various betting agencies must be staggering, as ìs the amount of advertising out there. I would like to know the figures and particularly those of the under 25 group, which seems to be targeted.

Gambling advertising as it stands and the loophole that allows alcohol promotion for sports in children’s viewing time are plain wrong.

• I can’t see how this will stop any rorting if there will still be four mobile phones in the dressing room. Do they think only the players are susceptible to brown paper bags?

• @happy tiger:

I greatly want to swear

Maybe they could ask the cops to get nightclub footage of a woman getting her hair pulled. Oh that’s right they can’t do that which is why James Roberts is free to play this year.

• Good.

anyone who can’t live without their phone for a few hours shouldn’t be playing professional sport.

• I’d still like to think if a sudden injury enabled a young player to get his debut that he could still contact his family and friends

But as I say the NRL has a thousand bigger issues than this at the moment , lets try and do something to fix those first

When the game is running smoothly , yes this can be a focus

We are 13 months away from a new season and players can’t even negotiate new contracts

• @DonnyBrasco:

Good.

anyone who can’t live without their phone for a few hours shouldn’t be playing professional sport.

Agree Donny,many employers don’t let staff use their mobile phones while at work,these guys are no different,once they step into the dressing room that’s the start of their shift…

Great idea…

Recent Topics