Halatau works on 'happy' Tigers...

• ForumSupporter

Halatau works on culture at ‘happy’ Tigers

Chris Kennedy Wed 01 Feb, 2017, 7:00am
    By Chris Kennedy ‌, National Correspondent , NRL.com
    EMAIL PRINT
    Halatau works on culture at ‘happy’ Tigers
    Recently-retired club great Dene Halatau says the Wests Tigers are ahead of where they were at the same point last year and there is a happy vibe at the club.

Halatau hung up the boots after the Round 26 loss to Canberra at Leichhardt that meant the Tigers just missed out on sneaking into the 2016 finals series, boasting 249 NRL games at the Tigers and Bulldogs as well as 15 Tests for the Kiwis.

The 2005 premiership-winner has been keeping himself incredibly busy in what could have been his first relaxing off-season in a decade and a half.

He has taken on a role in the NRL’s welfare and education team, is an NRL ambassador and is also working at his old club driving a positive culture from the under-16s level through to the football department and NRL team.

“I’m helping facilitate workshops and implementing new programs that the NRL wants to implement across the game,” Halatau told NRL.com at the recent unveiling of the 2017 NRL ambassadors.

“At club level, the stuff I’m doing with the Tigers is more about club culture and leadership. The club culture stuff I’m trying to push through the whole club, not just the playing group, the staff and our pathways, 16s and 18s, Group 6, Wests and Balmain, trying to get everyone on board with what the club’s about and where we want to go.”

The club’s culture came under fire at different times in 2016 with ongoing differences between long-serving hooker Robbie Farah and coach Jason Taylor; pressure to re-sign rising stars Mitch Moses, James Tedesco and Luke Brooks; and rumours of discontent over the style of footy Taylor wanted to implement compared to how his playmakers wanted to play.

Despite all this, the club many tipped as wooden spoon contenders came within one win of a remarkable finals appearances and Halatau said all the signs heading into 2017 are better than at the same time last year.

“There is a good vibe at the moment; the training is always tough and everyone’s in shape,” he said.

"The team’s ahead of where they were last year in terms of their results in their physical testing but what they’re doing on the field, everyone’s bought into and that development towards the back end of last year, the style of game everyone wanted to play, the way the boys were forming combinations, that’s continued on in the pre-season and everyone’s pretty happy with where things are at.

“Everyone’s really happy with where they’re at physically and the kind of things they’re doing on the field. I think we’re in a good place and hopefully for the boys that means a strong start to the season and hopefully gather that momentum towards the business end of the year.”

http://www.nrl.com/halatau-works-on-culture-at-happy-tigers/tabid/10874/newsid/103366/default.aspx

• We need more like him.

• 😮 😮 😮 😮
    Halatau works on ‘happy’ Tiger. Well they are both consenting adult so none of my business!

Seriously though, Halatau always struck me as a good person to have around a club, happy he is still here and involved

• I could be cynical and say “here we go again another preseason bit of propaganda from HQ” But I get the feeling that Deano is telling us how he thinks things are going and what he said sounds promising. Anyway he is a good bloke to have floating around the place you would imagine he is highly respected by all of the group

• Workshops are a bit different these days to when I first learned about em

• I feel more positive about the season ahead now than i have in a long time. I really think some pretty good times are ahead. Not a team of stars, but we dont need that if i remember. :supporter:

• Didn’t know Happy Tiger has been getting help from Halatu. What a ledge!

• Can he work on our Happy Tiger as well? Ol’ Hap has been a bit of a Debbie Downer of late.

• @wd in perth:

I feel more positive about the season ahead now than i have in a long time. I really think some pretty good times are ahead. Not a team of stars, but we dont need that if i remember. :supporter:

After watching our first 2 games in the 9’s, how are you feeling now WD? As despondant as all of us are I’d say. At least our expectations are back to being rock bottom again!

• @Cultured Bogan:

Can he work on our Happy Tiger as well? Ol’ Hap has been a bit of a Debbie Downer of late.

And after our outstanding performance at the 9’s I have every reason to be just over the moon CB

Dene will be getting a heap of overtime this week , probably need to hire a few new assistants as well

• “At club level, the stuff I’m doing with the Tigers is more about club culture and leadership. The club culture stuff I’m trying to push through the whole club, not just the playing group, the staff and our pathways, 16s and 18s, Group 6, Wests and Balmain, trying to get everyone on board with what the club’s about and where we want to go.”

Really? Describe it (the culture stuff….seriously?) in 3 coherent sentences please. What is the “club about” Dene?

• @Fade To Black:

@wd in perth:

I feel more positive about the season ahead now than i have in a long time. I really think some pretty good times are ahead. Not a team of stars, but we dont need that if i remember. :supporter:

After watching our first 2 games in the 9’s, how are you feeling now WD? As despondant as all of us are I’d say. At least our expectations are back to being rock bottom again!

Im ok still. Im really angry that it was as though the 9s were treated as a nothing event. No stars on show other than ET. (if in fact he falls into the star categorie) Im sure there would be fans that payed to go across and watch that. But not trying is unforgiveable - and they didnt try. Its just crap when your kids get dressed up in their tigers gear to cheer on their team after 4 or 5 months of no footy and they chuck it in before fulltime of an 18 minute game to go play lego. Heres hoping come round 1, that the team actually has a go. Have to stay positive.

• @wd in perth:

@Fade To Black:

@wd in perth:

Im ok still. Im really angry that it was as though the 9s were treated as a nothing event. No stars on show other than ET. (if in fact he falls into the star categorie) Im sure there would be fans that payed to go across and watch that. But not trying is unforgiveable - and they didnt try. Its just crap when your kids get dressed up in their tigers gear to cheer on their team after 4 or 5 months of no footy and they chuck it in before fulltime of an 18 minute game to go play lego. Heres hoping come round 1, that the team actually has a go. Have to stay positive.

90% of the squad, plus the coach are off contract. It’s safe to say they’ll be having a go.

• Banned

Yep that will be the carrot.
    I expect a big go because 90% of the squad plus the coach have so far underperformed during their current contracts.

• @stryker:

Yep that will be the carrot.
    I expect a big go because 90% of the squad plus the coach have so far underperformed during their current contracts.

Sadly i think a lot of them have performed at their best.

Recent Topics