Lazarus & our attack

Now i’m not one who picks on young guys making their debut (and i’ve actually been a fan of Blake for several years now) but to me Lazarus looked like he was on a completely different wave length to the rest of the team tonight. Running when he should have passed. Kicking when he should have run and running when he should have kicked. Just making poor decisions and every time he touched it no-one seemed to know what he was doing, and when someone else had the ball he always seemed to be in the wrong position.

Obviously it was only his first game with the team and combinations take time, but it looked like he would need a whole season in order to have a clue what everyone else were doing.

On other hand i think Robbie and Benji didn’t control the attack anywhere near you’d expect they would with a rookie halfback.
No-one had a clue in attack and that was probably the worst attacking performance i’ve ever seen from a Wests Tigers team. Kicking was terrible (as usual) but our passing was a lot poorer than usual and we had no direction or go-forward.

Yes fatigue comes into it, but if we played better in attack earlier in the game we wouldn’t have conceded so much possession!

Defence was encouraging, but attack (which is usually the only thing we can do) was appaling 😦

i think moors was one of our better player he made some great runs and for fitzhenry he looked like a turnstile at gate b i think daniella should replace him next week and moltzen could play better than lazuras on crutches 😆

Our attack wasn’t pretty. I actually think that Benji and Robbie went for a couple too many big plays when they should have tried to grind out the win.

Our forwards put in and it was a real close battle with the dogs forwards.

Lazarus was poor and he certainly didn’t control the game.

Still next week we get another chance.

All that is true - but the team is missing their no 7. No new no 7 is going to slot in issue-free in the first week.

I think we all knew losing Moltzen was a big deal. Now it will cost us a couple of games as well. We can recover. I wouldnt write off players after one game.

Agreed they offered nothing in attack, However it is very hard to attack when the refs are continually giving posession to the dogs with pathetic and contentious penalties.

give him another go next week.
far too much anticipation/expectation on Blake before even played his first game in first grade.
gotta remember, Benji, Tim & Robbie have been working together for a while.
it may take a few games until Benji, Robbie & Blake, get a combo going.
it ain’t gonna happen overnight, but it will happen.

@westTAHger:

far too much anticipation/expectation on Blake before even played his first game in first grade.

Exactly, give the kid another go. He wasn’t going to be magic in his first game.

Lets not forget Moltz played close to a season of first grade before he started controlling our team at 1/2.

@djm619:

@westTAHger:

Exactly, give the kid another go. He wasn’t going to be magic in his first game.

Maybe he just hasnt had enough footy over past two years,but in the old days players had to earn their spots to be elevated to 1sts by being a standout in the reserves,& I havent seen lazarus do that.
In those circumstances u cant expect any more than what we saw tonite unfortunately…
Think its time for Fulton as stopgap no 6…

No. We do not need ‘stopgaps’. You do not win grand finals with ‘stopgaps’. You do not even get into the finals with ‘stopgaps’.

We need a proper halfback playing halfback. Whether it’s Lazarus, Lui or Taumata.

Gee you blokes are harsh of Lazarus - he barely played 7 for half the match!

Sheens had him in every position but!

It wan’t his best game, but I thought at points he looked dangerous.

I’m willing to give him another shot.

people on this forum are the biggest arm-chair critics ever. lazarus was never going to have a blinder and even if he had a crap game, so what? the step up to first grade is huge and its going to take a full season at a minimum for a youngster like that to build even a little confidence.
i cant stand it when people say oh drop him, first game he didnt win us the game, give someone else the job. if its him or lui that get the job at 7 people have to be realistic and know it is going to take time.

A positive out of Lazarus’ performance is he couldn’t possibly play any worse than he did tonight. Chin up mate, shake it off, now you know what first grade is all about.

Benji was half….sack him…

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme