Jamal Idris looks sure to lock up centre spot after Tim Simona betting scandal

• Jamal Idris looks sure to lock up centre spot after Tim Simona betting scandal
    FEBRUARY 18, 2017 7:18AM

WESTS Tigers coach Jason Taylor has all but assured Jamal Idris a spot in their NRL season-opener following the betting scandal involving centre Tim Simona.
    Simona was on Friday facing the possibility of his contract being torn up after being alleged to have breached rules relating to gambling on NRL matches. His uncertain future means Idris is likely to make his anticipated return to the game against the Rabbitohs on March 3, almost 700 days after his last game in the NRL with Penrith.
    Idris backed up last week’s 40-minute trial cameo with another hour-long shift in a warm-up defeat to North Queensland, where he made a handful of his trademark brutal carries.

But Taylor admitted Idris will have no choice but to punch out the entire 80 minutes when the Tigers face former teammate Robbie Farah in their season-opener on March 3.
    “That was the plan - 60 minutes. He played 40 last week and then 60 today. He’ll obviously have to get 80 in a fortnight. That’s the next step for him,” Taylor said.
    Asked whether Idris was ready to play the whole match, Taylor said: “He’ll have to be.” The third-year Tigers coach declined to comment on the Simona bombshell that rocked the league community on Friday, except to say that the club was supporting their centre.
    The 25-year-old Simona, who has also been suspended from training and playing with the club until the saga is over, has five days to respond to the allegations.
    “It’s in the hands of the Integrity Unit. As a club, our main focus is just the wellbeing of Tim. That’s all there is to say as a club,” Taylor said. “We’re supporting Tim, and the NRL Integrity Unit will look after it.” Cowboys coach Paul Green, who had to deal with second-rower Ethan Lowe copping a two-game ban for gambling in 2014, said the governing body had taken a stance against gambling.
    “Anyone that does it, I think there’s a fair chance you’re going to get caught. It’s pretty silly. You just can’t do it, so why would you bother,” Green said.

Star Tigers fullback James Tedesco made a successful return to the field after breaking his jaw in round 23 last year, looking dangerous with every touch in a 60-minute effort.
    Taylor later said veteran Matt Ballin was a strong chance to make his own anticipated return from a knee reconstruction in round one, but halfback Luke Brooks was in doubt.
    Ballin and Brooks missed the trial along with Mitchell Moses, who is suffering bone bruising following his appearance for the World All Stars last week. “There’s a hamstring with Brooksy and we wouldn’t push him if it wasn’t 100 per cent. It’s not 100 per cent today, but he’s back training. It’s heading in the right direction,” Taylor said.
    “Mitch is 100 per cent in that he’s got a really sore foot. It’s really sore, but in the end it’ll be something that we can push. He’ll just have to toughen up and get through it.”

• JT seems content to rest Brooks if need be but is stating that Moses needs to “toughen up and push through it”. That seems a bit weird IMO, Moses is the player that we can ill-afford to be out long term moreso than what Brooks is.
    Jamal is going to be a massive be target defensively in the 2nd half of the Rabbitohs game, he will be dead in the water fitness-wise.

• @Fade To Black:

JT seems content to rest Brooks if need be but is stating that Moses needs to “toughen up and push through it”. That seems a bit weird IMO, Moses is the player that we can ill-afford to be out long term moreso than what Brooks is.
    Jamal is going to be a massive be target defensively in the 2nd half of the Rabbitohs game, he will be dead in the water fitness-wise.

Nothing to do with the player and everything to do with the nature of the injury. Don’t mess with hamstrings.

• Not saying that it is anything to do with the player.
    Sure you don’t mess with hamstrings but bone bruising if mishandled sounds like the kind of injury that will linger and cause problems as well. We can’t afford to be taking too many risks with Moses.

• @Fade To Black:

Not saying that it is anything to do with the player.
    Sure you don’t mess with hamstrings but bone bruising if mishandled sounds like the kind of injury that will linger and cause problems as well. We can’t afford to be taking too many risks with Moses.

I might have been worried in the past, but we seem to very mindful of potential reinjury these days.

• @Fade To Black:

JT seems content to rest Brooks if need be but is stating that Moses needs to “toughen up and push through it”. That seems a bit weird IMO, Moses is the player that we can ill-afford to be out long term moreso than what Brooks is.

Thats what worries me.
    He was a liability close to the line when he was playing on a regular basis,
    I cant see that being much better now that hes just coming back.
    I hope no-one gets one on one with him in our quarter.

• @goldcoast tiger:

@Fade To Black:

Thats what worries me.

Very concerning as our best defensive centre will be replaced by Idris who, has always been a poor defender and does not read the game well. I was hoping MCK would be the one getting the spot.

• I would be more inclined to start MCK in the centres and give Jamal half a game. MCK can at least switch into the backrow and give either Sue or Lawrence a breather in the second half.

• @TYGA:

@goldcoast tiger:

@Fade To Black:

Thats what worries me.

Very concerning as our best defensive centre will be replaced by Idris who, has always been a poor defender and does not read the game well. I was hoping MCK would be the one getting the spot.

MCK should play right centre. Three smallish players in the outside backs puts us at a disadvantage in comparison to other teams who have big backs. LJL’s presence also improved the defence but weakened our attack, Perhaps if Brooks is fit LJL could fill the bench utility role?

• It would have been nice to ease Jamal back into the comp without placing that much pressure on him - not many options now. Here’s hoping he has a solid performance regardless of the outcome - no doubt he will be tough on himself otherwise, and the fans could perhaps be even harsher.

• Jamal is confident in his own abilities, in his interview he wanted to contend for a SOO place this year (although realistically a long shot).

At the start of the season when all teams have green players and all working to get up to 80 min match fitness, with less pressure as there are always 8 winners and losers, is the best time to play Idris and that applies to Suli or any other youngster they think is ready - IMO.

• 3. Idris
    4. Che-Kam

Just defend and set the wingers up.
    Jump for ball when there is bombs 'cos Kevvy and Rankin ain’t defusing nothing.

• ForumSupporter

@Demps:

3. Idris
    4. Che-Kam

Where does that leave Nofoaluma …who also isn’t that great under the high ball…

Bit of a nothing article as it’s been stated all along by coaching staff and management all along Idris was bought to play Centre…

What’s interesting now is he has played left in both trials giving us a defensive edge of Lawrence Brooks Idris and I’m hoping Suli…leaving the old firm of Moses Kevvy and Nofoaluma with the addition of Sue by the looks on the right…

• @Geo.:

@Demps:

3. Idris
    4. Che-Kam

Where does that leave Nofoaluma …who also isn’t that great under the high ball…

Bit of a nothing article as it’s been stated all along by coaching staff and management all along Idris was bought to play Centre…

What’s interesting now is he has played left in both trials giving us a defensive edge of Lawrence Brooks Idris and I’m hoping Suli…leaving the old firm of Moses Kevvy and Nofoaluma with the addition of Sue by the looks on the right…

I guess that means the defensive edge of Watto , Happy ,Geo and Sabre isn’t going to happen Rd 1

We didn’t even get one trial :brick:

• How about Lawrence at 6 and moses at 7….it worked last year against the rabbits and he’s fresh off playing there.
    As for centre Idris has to be ready now and I’d nearly play Chee-Kam in the backrow with Alioia and Taylor.

Recent Topics