NRL has morals when it suits.....why?

• This Simona thing has really reinforced the fact that the NRL has very selective morals when it comes to player indescretions.
    A bloke that has a few bets (which are rumoured to have been on himself) is seen as a major issue and is prohibited from playing until the matter is resolved yet Radrada is awaiting court for allegedly bashing his missus but is free to play until his day in court. Massive double standards.

IMO the main factor governing the NRL’s stance on unsavoury issues revolves wholly and solely around money. The NRL comes down swift and hard on anyone (apart from Teflon Foran) who is in danger of jeopardizing the NRL’s massive moneymaking affiliation with betting agencies. They don’t want to risk the bad press and finger-pointing that comes with players betting on games. They don’t have a “gambling-free” round to spruik their so-called abhorrance at player gambling.
    They can just pass over partner beating scum like Avu’a, Barba, Radradra etc under the guise of the “women in league round” and promoting the no domestic violence cause all the while letting the perpetrators of these cowardly acts to continue to play and in 2 of those 3 cases mentioned, win a premiership. Disgusting to say the least.
    Ditto for drug users like the Sharks who massively breached the rules but were let off virtually scot-free. Why are these other issues treated so much more leniantly that a bloke having a bet?
    Players betting on games is a massive issue of integrity to the NRL. But IMO it is probably less of an integrity issue than letting wife beaters and drug cheats take the field every week and be portrayed as faces of the NRL.
    One has to think the major deciding factor for the NRL is the almighty dollar. Do what you like as long as it doesn’t jeopardize our money making avenues. It stinks beyond belief.

• @Fade To Black:

This Simona thing has really reinforced the fact that the NRL has very selective morals when it comes to player indescretions.
    A bloke that has a few bets (which are rumoured to have been on himself) is seen as a major issue and is prohibited from playing until the matter is resolved yet Radrada is awaiting court for allegedly bashing his missus but is free to play until his day in court. Massive double standards.

IMO the main factor governing the NRL’s stance on unsavoury issues revolves wholly and solely around money. The NRL comes down swift and hard on anyone (apart from Teflon Foran) who is in danger of jeopardizing the NRL’s massive moneymaking affiliation with betting agencies. They don’t want to risk the bad press and finger-pointing that comes with players betting on games. They don’t have a “gambling-free” round to spruik their so-called abhorrance at player gambling.
    They can just pass over partner beating scum like Avu’a, Barba, Radradra etc under the guise of the “women in league round” and promoting the no domestic violence cause all the while letting the perpetrators of these cowardly acts to continue to play and in 2 of those 3 cases mentioned, win a premiership. Disgusting to say the least.
    Ditto for drug users like the Sharks who massively breached the rules but were let off virtually scot-free. Why are these other issues treated so much more leniantly that a bloke having a bet?
    Players betting on games is a massive issue of integrity to the NRL. But IMO it is probably less of an integrity issue than letting wife beaters and drug cheats take the field every week and be portrayed as faces of the NRL.
    One has to think the major deciding factor for the NRL is the almighty dollar. Do what you like as long as it doesn’t jeopardize our money making avenues. It stinks beyond belief.

Good post however, gambling by nature of sponsorship and links to the integrity of the game is the single biggest issue which, could destroy it. As a business spot and match fixing are bigger issues than drugs, violence etc. I draw the line at hitting women and children these offenders belong in jail let alone in the game. I a very concerned this is a major overreaction by a weak NRL leadership handing on to their jobs.
    If its serious then fine but if this turns out to be a few stupid small bets heads should roll at NRL headquarters.

• Ironically the pressure to hit players like Simona hard may be coming from the betting agencies themselves. The betting agencies don’t want to be at the mercy of a huge betting coup and in this case the NRL, whose business is not betting, is protecting the betting agencies. If the NRL is fair dinkum about integrity issues they would scrap betting on their sport immediately not act as hypocrites.

• @Newtown:

Ironically the pressure to hit players like Simona hard may be coming from the betting agencies themselves. The betting agencies don’t want to be at the mercy of a huge betting coup and in this case the NRL, whose business is not betting, is protecting the betting agencies. If the NRL is fair dinkum about integrity issues they would scrap betting on their sport immediately not act as hypocrites.

I agree Newtown with your suggestion that betting on rugby league be scrapped.

• @Pawsandclaws:

@Newtown:

Ironically the pressure to hit players like Simona hard may be coming from the betting agencies themselves. The betting agencies don’t want to be at the mercy of a huge betting coup and in this case the NRL, whose business is not betting, is protecting the betting agencies. If the NRL is fair dinkum about integrity issues they would scrap betting on their sport immediately not act as hypocrites.

If the NRL was so concerned about betting and its effect on the integrity of the game then yes it should be scrapped. Is it ever going to happen? Of course not. Sports betting is a multi billion dollar industry and the NRL does very nicely financially from it.

• @diedpretty:

@Pawsandclaws:

@Newtown:

If the NRL was so concerned about betting and its effect on the integrity of the game then yes it should be scrapped. Is it ever going to happen? Of course not. Sports betting is a multi billion dollar industry and the NRL does very nicely financially from it.

Correct.

• I suppose the difference is that Simona has broken NRL rules so they can suspend him immediately.
    The NRL can’t act on s legal matter though as in Radradras case until a hearing.

• I am surprised that the NRL aren’t following up further with Foran’s comment to the late Rebecca Wilson

She wasn’t my cup of tea but when you supposedly "hope she ends up in hell " you’ve really crossed a line

• @happy tiger:

I am surprised that the NRL aren’t following up further with Foran’s comment to the late Rebecca Wilson

She wasn’t my cup of tea but when you supposedly "hope she ends up in hell " you’ve really crossed a line

She dished out plenty, you gotta expect some back

On morals when it suits:- there is no consistency anywhere in society really, I dont know why anyone is surprised…its not what you know but who you know, or where you live,what you do and how good you are at it…

• @happy tiger:

I am surprised that the NRL aren’t following up further with Foran’s comment to the late Rebecca Wilson

Just because someone passes away doesn’t mean you should suddenly speak about them as something they weren’t. There seems to be an unwritten rule that people have to be glorified in death. She was a grub of a journalist whose verbal diarrhea isn’t missed.

• @GNR4LIFE:

@happy tiger:

Just because someone passes away doesn’t mean you should suddenly speak about them as something they weren’t. There seems to be an unwritten rule that people have to be glorified in death. She was a grub of a journalist whose verbal diarrhea isn’t missed.

If someone is on their deathbed (and I dont know if Foran was aware of this) and you call them up to say that then that is just cowardice. What goes around comes around Keiran. He is hardly a person of good character anyways, he shouldn’t of been surprised that someone called him out as a rat.

• @Fade To Black:

@GNR4LIFE:

@happy tiger:

If someone is on their deathbed (and I dont know if Foran was aware of this) and you call them up to say that then that is just cowardice. What goes around comes around Keiran. He is hardly a person of good character anyways, he shouldn’t of been surprised that someone called him out as a rat.

Well he showed his true form when Wilson’s husband took the phone off her and told him to have a shot at him

• WOW it’s amazing the number of conspiracy theorists in here - kind of scary.

Simona deserves to be kicked out of the game and if Radradra is guilty then he will be too.

Foran probably should have been too but an argument with a journalist isn’t that big a deal - now she died not long after but he had no way of knowing it. Should he have abused her no but she was never an innocent little flower and if he’d given a bloke journo a moutful no one would care and neither should they in the same way with her. Now I personally think Foran was involved in dodgy betting but if the NRL has no proof (which they obviously have in Simonas case) then what can they do

• @Fade To Black:

@GNR4LIFE:

@happy tiger:

When someone dies, you shouldn’t speak about them as something they weren’t.

But there is no reason speak ill of the dead or dieing. What’s to be gained and some respect for the dead even if undeserved is just the right thing to do IMO.

• @GNR4LIFE:

@happy tiger:

What about showing some class and not stooping to their level if you believe that is the case

I was a huge fan of Foran’s until this stuff all came out

It would be like me standing in the crowd for 80 minutes and me screaming how good his ex Mrs was in the sack and saying he should DNA test all his kids

Recent Topics