Heart Month.

• Hi all,

I’ve recently been involved in a media campaign with the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute who have been using the month of February to highlight congenital and chronic heart disease. I was born with heart disease and while the primary cause was treated 20 years ago I have side effects from the surgery to this day.

There’s a number of stories running over the month of men, women, parents, sons and daughters who have been directly affected by heart disease. A lot of the stories sadly don’t end well as there is many types of heart disease that are not curable, some aren’t even effectively treatable. The worrying trend with some of these stories are people who had no idea they were even ill.

The point of this post is to raise awareness of it. It’s not just an unhealthy persons disease, many young and healthy folks die from undiagnosed cardiomyopathy. There are warning signs, lightheadedness, high blood pressure, syncope, palpitations and chest pain to name a few.

Early detection is a key part of effective treatment or management. Largely being blokes here we like to probably ignore things that may signal health trouble, so if you are suffering symptoms and you’re worried, see your GP and get a referral to a cardiologist. The potential treatment plan is far better than an early visit to the grave.

The VCCRI website has plenty of useful info and links if you’re curious.

If for whatever reason you need to talk I’m happy to chat.

Cheers all.

• Good cause CB.
    My young fellas mum died when he was 4 from ischaemic heart disease… Very sudden, no warning.

Kudos to you

• @:

Good cause CB.
    My young fellas mum died when he was 4 from ischaemic heart disease… Very sudden, no warning.

Kudos to you

Scary.

Good cause Boges

• Wow that’s really tough Ink, it really is a silent killer.

My son had a scare not long after he was born (potentially same issue as me.) Was given the all clear eventually. To say i was relieved was an understatement.

• Our school does Jump rope for Heart.

The aim of this is to get people to sponsor you to to skipping and the more money you raise the bigger and better the prizes are.

It is a good cause but skipping…

Thanks though for raising awareness on the WT Forum

• @:

Our school does Jump rope for Heart.

The aim of this is to get people to sponsor you to to skipping and the more money you raise the bigger and better the prizes are.

It is a good cause but skipping…

Thanks though for raising awareness on the WT Forum

Twofold outcome there Benny. You’re doing cardio and raising money for cardiac research.

It’s a great initiative.

• Some links for that may be useful:

Heart Foundation risk factors and statistics regarding heart disease in Australia (some very scary statistics here): https://www.heartfoundation.org.au/about-us/what-we-do/heart-disease-in-australia

Types of heart disease, including symptoms: https://www.heartfoundation.org.au/your-heart/heart-conditions

The second link is especially useful. Many people have symptoms and don’t associate it with heart disease. For a long time I thought symptoms I was having was related to fatigue, turns out I had atrial fibrillation. I didn’t end up seeking medical advice until I started getting arrhythmia.

As I said before, it doesn’t matter how young or old you are. Whether you’re male or female, whether you’re fit or not, whether you are in a healthy weight range or not.

Recent Topics