Ian Roberts wants more gay leaders in NRL

• Banned

• Meh, why does he constantly feel the need to make a grand issue out of his sexuality? Can’t he just be happy to be classed as a man? You don’t hear other players bunging on saying things like “I just want everybody to know that I’m heterosexual”.
    Feel very sorry for the young boy in the story who took his own life, that is a tragedy.

• Banned

@:

Meh, why does he constantly feel the need to make a grand issue out of his sexuality? Can’t he just be happy to be classed as a man? You don’t hear other players bunging on saying things like “I just want everybody to know that I’m heterosexual”.
    Feel very sorry for the young boy in the story who took his own life, that is a tragedy.

That’s because our heterosexuality is neither questioned, feared nor criticised. It’s a whole different dynamic for those who are different from the commonly accepted societal norm.

• Just get the right people…doesnt matter if theyre gay bi short tall black or green

Discrimination would be choosing a gay coz theyre gay

• Leaders are leaders, it doesn’t matter what their sexuality is.
    A pity that Roberts didn’t put his hand up when he played, he could have raised the profile of gay players if he had. Sports club need leaders, but who cares who they sleep with.
    They shouldn’t be appointed because they are homosexual or whatever, just on merit.

• Banned

Why should we need to know about a players sexuality?
    I personally dont want to know anything about any player bar their physical attributes and skill levels as they apply to RL.

Once you divulge such info you open the door for abuse in the form of onfield sledging and drunken opposition yobbos in the crowd. The game doesnt need this crap.

• @:

Just get the right people…doesnt matter if theyre gay bi short tall black or green

Discrimination would be choosing a gay coz theyre gay

Spot on. Some gay people make a huge song and dance about ensuring everybody knows they are gay but they get the irrits if someone says “are you gay?”. Can’t have it both ways.

• Banned

meh, such a drama queen.

• Banned

@:

Leaders are leaders, it doesn’t matter what their sexuality is.
    A pity that Roberts didn’t put his hand up when he played, he could have raised the profile of gay players if he had. Sports club need leaders, but who cares who they sleep with.
    They shouldn’t be appointed because they are homosexual or whatever, just on merit.

According to the article he did come out whilst playing and was the first… as the quote below shows:
    In 1994, Roberts became the first professional footballer in any code across the world to come out while he was still playing. And he’d been forgotten for the game’s debut float at Mardi Gras.

Ian is making the point that as there is still discrimination we need leaders and idols in society to lead their followers to be more accepting so that the gays can have normal life. Unless they see widespread acceptance and role models in society they become apprehensive about their own identity. There are still plenty of religious groups quoting the Bible preaching fire and brimstone.

• Please don’t politicize the sport I love thanks Ian Roberts

I totally back your calls that we need more gay leaders in the community wholeheartedly , but rugby league players aren’t role models in the true sense , they are heroes / sport stars

• Role models can also call out “offensive” slurs.

• @:

@:

Leaders are leaders, it doesn’t matter what their sexuality is.

According to the article he did come out whilst playing and was the first… as the quote below shows:
    In 1994, Roberts became the first professional footballer in any code across the world to come out while he was still playing. And he’d been forgotten for the game’s debut float at Mardi Gras.

Sorry , I didn’t remember that.
    Probably shows how little I cared. A footballer is a footballer.

Ian is making the point that as there is still discrimination we need leaders and idols in society to lead their followers to be more accepting so that the gays can have normal life. Unless they see widespread acceptance and role models in society they become apprehensive about their own identity. There are still plenty of religious groups quoting the Bible preaching fire and brimstone.

• He wasn’t much of a role model when he bashed the crap out if gary jack.

• Banned

@:

He wasn’t much of a role model when he bashed the crap out if gary jack.

I wonder if Gary had used any inflammatory words to stir him up?

• @:

@:

He wasn’t much of a role model when he bashed the crap out if gary jack.

I wonder if Gary had used any inflammatory words to stir him up?

Silvertail scum?

Recent Topics