McIllwrick vs Ballin

• I think its a forgone conclusion that Liddle is the future, but with McIlwricks performance in Round 1 it has me wondering who would be best suited to partner Liddle until he can play 80 mins, McIllwrick or Ballin.

McIllwrick:

• strong defence,
    • quick enough for dummy half runs,
    • good quick service to his halves left and right,
    • kicking game?
    • minutes played?
    • consistency?
    • But what I believe he has most in his favor is his age, lack of serious injuries and most importantly determination to make it in the NRL being probably his last chance.

Ballin:

• strong defence
    • not sure how quick he is before and after injuries
    • good service to his halves left and right
    • kicking game?
    • minutes played (surely his minutes would be less after injuries and long lay offs)
    • I think he will be consistent, but not sure if consistently good or consistently average)
    • What I believe is least in his favor is his age, serious injuries and I wonder how determined he his to make it back into first grade or is he just preparing for retirement.

All in all, if McIllwrick repeats his performance from round 1, I’d have to have him ahead of Ballin.

• Banned

Ballin basically has to get back to his Manly premiership winning days otherwise it’s Mcillwrick all day every day for me. He has really impressed me

• Ballin was a pawn. Bought in to unsettle Robbie.
    Now he has served his purpose he can see out is contract doing nothing.

• I agree. He’s been a real pleasant surprise - hats off to recruitment for identifying him. JLJ has been good off the bench too.

I think it gives us the luxury of having them both get some game fitness in state cup first. Liddle can take over from JLJ when ready, but I’m not sure ballin brings much more than mcillwrick. He’ll need to fight for the spot.

• To be honest I cant even remember how well Ballin performed. I was very impressed with McIllwrick, sharp out of dummy half, identified an opportunity to scoot quite well and hit hard.

I thought we lost something when he was off the field last Friday. I remember thinking during the second half that we could’ve done with him punching through the middle rather than JLJ shuffling it out of dummyhalf.

• ForumSupporter

Who won…?

• If it ain’t broke you don’t fix it. Ballin is super capable and I still feel he has lots to offer, but it’s McIlwrick’s spot to lose with his efforts in round one.

Ballin is a good back up to have in case Matty goes off the boil.

• I couldn’t see how it was going to work with Farah dumped and seeing the likes of ET and Rankin playing hooker last year.

All seems to have fallen into place assuming McIllwrick plays consistently.

• I’m happy for McIlwick to continue starting. He looked sharp in the Cows trial, and backed that up against Souths. Knew when to run and when to pass. And hit like a mac truck. We have a track record for picking up gems like Taupau and Austin who were languishing before we signed them, Here’s hoping this guy is another.

• I think we need to see more than 1 game for MM.

To be honest I hope he gets the gig.

Is this Ballans last year on contract???

• ForumSupporter

@:

I think we need to see more than 1 game for MM.

To be honest I hope he gets the gig.

Is this Ballans last year on contract???

Yes…

Ballin pulled out of ISP last week due to track conditions being a heavy 10…needs a fast 8…should play this week…

Liddle had a set back with his shoulder but should be right for a run next week in ISP…

No need to change the winning NRL team…McIlwrick doing the job…

• It’s going to come down to how well Ballin has recovered from a long term injury, whether he’s got the confidence in his knee and more importantly, whether he’s still quick enough to play well at FG level. McIlwrick hasn’t really put a foot wrong so far, so it’s his spot to lose.

• One bloke has played a handful of top grade games and the other has not played since I had a full head of hair. Will need both actually string some games together in the top grade before I start jumping up and down and making a call….of course there is another bloke called Liddle

• I’m more than happy to have MMc starting each week,Ballin off the bench when fit and ready…
    Liddle is the one who has 2 very good players to learn from,if he is ready for NRL then these 2 will make sure he knows what to do…

• @:

It’s going to come down to how well Ballin has recovered from a long term injury, whether he’s got the confidence in his knee and more importantly, whether he’s still quick enough to play well at FG level. McIlwrick hasn’t really put a foot wrong so far, so it’s his spot to lose.

Ballin’s a great personal trainer from feedback i’ve heard so he should be right.

Recent Topics