Rugby League Week to be killed off

• One of the game’s great institutions is gone after Rugby League Week magazine was killed off after being bought by the NRL.

Publishers Bauer Media has not made any official announcement, but staff were told on Thursday that the magazine will cease after two more editions.

It’s understood the NRL has no plans to continue publishing the magazine, but wanted to buy the publication to take control of the Immortals concept.

The Immortals was launched by Rugby League Week in the 1980s and the magazine has resisted repeated attempt to relinguish ownership.

The NRL has long wanted to bring the Immortals concept under its umbrella.

Launched in 1970, Rugby League Week was once known as the game’s bible.

Many of rugby league’s best-known writers have worked for the magazine and covered some of the game’s biggest stories.

But dwindling sales in recent years forced Bauer’s hand, with RLW added to the many mastheads cut down by the media group.

“We knew the writing was on the wall but it’s still a very say day,” a RLW staffer told Sporting News.

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/news/rugby-league-week-to-be-killed-off-magazine-bauer-media-immortals-best-ever-nrl/slbo46xjp0nn1r4g9xye8dkkv

• Sucks for people who spend their careers writing about NRL, hope they get a gig somewhere else.

I talk about NRL every day for free, if only someone wanted to put my pen in a paper or face on a TV.

• I used to buy it when I was a kid… Long time ago.
    I guess like most print media the internet will kill it all eventually

• @:

I used to buy it when I was a kid… Long time ago.

Me too. It was everything i looked forward to back then 30 years ago. Havent bought it since, just read at the occasional doctor surgery waiting room.

• I used to read every article word for word when it’s layout was like a newspaper. Sadly it seemed to go a bit crap when it changed to a full gloss magazine .

• ForumSupporter

Only recently stopped buying it…sign of the times I guess…

• I still buy it, well for 2 more weeks anyway.

• For many years I purchased the RLW and quite regularly used to buy a yearly subscription for the old man for Xmas

Haven’t bought it for a few years now

• I have every issue & still enjoy reading it, Will miss it, what a shame.

• The Mole will have to get a real job now then, rather than just making up trash rumours.
    Although he’ll probably end up at SportingNews with The Lurker.

• Big League will be next. The internet has made magazines obsolete. Tv will be next.

• @:

I have every issue & still enjoy reading it, Will miss it, what a shame.

I have Big Leagues going back all the way to 1996 when I was 10 years old. Wish I’d kept them in better condition, they’d be worth a mint. It’s a real blast from the past going through team lists from 15-20 years ago.

• @:

Yeah I went from buying it every week, to buying one or two per year over the last 20 yrs or so. I really couldn’t say why,
    It just seemed to get boring.

• Banned

@:

@:

Me too. It was everything i looked forward to back then 30 years ago. Havent bought it since, just read at the occasional doctor surgery waiting room.

Same here! I loved reading it when I was younger but I think the last one I bought was the end of year edition after our Grand Final win in 05 - it’s a great memento :mrgreen:

• These guys are one of my Clients.

Recent Topics