Wests Tigers coach defends Mitchell Moses and Luke Brooks after loss to Penrith Panthers

• Wests Tigers coach defends Mitchell Moses and Luke Brooks after loss to Penrith Panthers
    Michael Chammas - SMH

Just when it looked safe to assume the Wests Tigers had addressed their woes of consistently being inconsistent, they produce a performance that once again raises more questions than answers.

After an inspiring victory against South Sydney in the opening round, the Tigers failed to recapture the form from nine days prior in a disappointing showing against the Panthers at Campbelltown on Sunday.

Given the youthful exuberance of the players at the club and the free-flowing attacking style of football they like to play, it is often said the “bad days” are part and parcel of the package they signed up for. However coach Jason Taylor insists the club is working tirelessly to change that perception and develop a football team that lives up to expectations throughout the 26-round competition.

“We’re working really, really hard to ensure that we have less of those days,” Taylor said.

"While we hate what we saw out there, we are really close in a lot of those tries that we conceded in regards to getting that right. At the end of the day the scoreline will say we conceded a lot of points but there were also long periods of us defending our try line really well, really well.

“We have to be able to do it for the whole time but we’re not as far off as it looks today in that regard. That’s something I am finding a real positive out of that.”

Off-contract halves Mitchell Moses and Luke Brooks struggled to make an impact on the game, producing several errors on a forgettable afternoon for the playmaking duo.

However, Taylor was quick to leap to the defence of his young halves, confident they would turn it around for next week’s away game against the winless Canberra Raiders in the nation’s capital.

“Both these guys have shown they are first-graders and have shown a lot of consistency through long periods of their careers,” Taylor said.

"Mitch Moses’ consistency through the back half of last year was great and Luke Brooks has done it before. Everybody’s wanted to say Luke Brooks was struggling a bit last year. He had an injury.

“He has shown me over the last couple of years that he is an NRL first-grader. Form goes up and down. His form last week against Souths was really good. Both boys will say to you that wasn’t [what] we wanted today but they know how to get it right next week and they will.”

The Tigers were in the game at the half-hour mark, but an eight-minute lapse of concentration before half-time saw the Panthers run in three quick tries to turn the game on its head.

The home side struggled to deal with the adversity after the break and their halves were unable to get themselves into the contest.

“The guys played behind a team today that was dominated,” Taylor said.

"They are the facts. I think that expectation out there is really high and it should be. I know they will bounce back next week. I am really confident in both of them in regards to their future and how they can mature.

“It was a tough day. It was one that we share struggling to put our finger on a little bit to be honest. We weren’t happy with our warm-up today. We didn’t think were there in our warm-up.”

• “The Tigers were in the game at the half hour mark,but an eight minute lapse of concentration before half time saw the Panthers run in three quick tries to turn the game on its head”

How many times have we all said over the last couple of years,that the 10 mins before half time and the 10 minutes after half time has been a problem for us because we concede points quickly in these periods and cant recover….still seems they haven’t learnt yet and until they do we can expect the same again in the coming weeks…just to re iterate…ITS AN 80 MINUTE GAME…please take note…
    I think this team can play particularly well…CONSISTENCY is the milestone…

• To be honest it is Taylors fault. The use of the interchange bench was horrible. You need at least 3 forwards on the bench, i think it is time for Idris to be dropped back to state cup for a full game or two. He won’t be building his fitness with a 30 minute spell each game.

Next weeks bench should be Grant, Felise, Aloiai and Littlejohn.

Anything else, forget it. Raiders forwards will absolutely eat ours alive if we don’t play smart.

• Banned

The biggest problem is defending, you wouldn’t want Kev and Brooks to be minding your house while holidaying

• Banned

I think Ballin should be on the bench next week

Felise, Grant, Aloiai join him

Idris either starts or back to nsw cup

Get rid of naiquama unless it’s on the wing

• I’d rather see us score 2 tries and win, keeping another side to zero. It looks like defence is still Taylors focus at least but I just don’t see it happening now… This has been the focus for the last 3 seasons and it hasn’t changed.

• Heard the same dribble from JT last year. If we’re not 5-3 by the end of April, Pascoe needs to look for another coach. Im done with the dribble. Time for JT to produce. No excuses.

• All coaches will defend there players but I would imagine things might be getting strained between the coach and Brooks( the new Myth). Brooks has a real problem ,his performances for $$ value is appalling and the coach in the not to distance future will have to make the call as Brooke’s ability to compete in the NRL is being exposed for what it is ?

• He can defend them all he wants.
    Brooks will still be crap.

• Double post internet fail.

• A new season - same old rubbish.
    I said after last weeks win that it means nothing if we don’t go well against a Penrith outfit hurting from the game against St George.

I will always support this club but my expectations are shot. This club will never be a topliner. We will scab a premiership once in a blue moon then go back to being rubbish for many, many years.

Forget about the juniors. We pay them overs when they are inexperienced and then have to pay top dollar when they have added experience but no consistency.

Pick one two - let the others go. We’d have plenty of money to buy some decent replacements.

Yep I have had a gutful of these nuffies

• Banned

It seemed Taylor had an arsenal of comebacks already written ready to pull out at the press conference.
    The reason most are upset with these two is because once again they melted under pressure. They are true chocky soldiers.

As soon as Penrith scored a couple of tries and it became evident that they were covering Teddy pretty well the old mid field up and under became our go-to attacking play….one of these even went out on the full hahaha…I actually feel a little for Taylor, he sets game plans and structures and these two throw them out the window as soon as the blow torch is applied.

• Banned

How I interpret it Jason brought down one attack strategy (that of RF’s) without getting a solid and consistent replacement so we are bleeding profusely. We also lost our most consistent tackler to make defence matters worse. I don’t know if this strategy is what the young halves wanted but they must have a serious pow wow quick smartly.

• @:

How I interpret it Jason brought down one attack strategy (that of RF’s) without getting a solid and consistent replacement so we are bleeding profusely. We also lost our most consistent tackler to make defence matters worse. I don’t know if this strategy is what the young halves wanted but they must have a serious pow wow quick smartly.

• If the coach is struggling to put his finger on the problem when he’s into his third season at the club maybe he should put the finger on himself. Maybe he’s doing work experience or a coaching apprenticeship. If so I hope the club is getting a subsidy from the government!

Recent Topics