Second rowers/centres

• I know there a lot of issues in this team. Watching the other day showed me the deficiencies we have at second row and centre.

Idras is 4-5 weeks away from playing 60 minutes let alone 80. Naquaima is a liability. Suli is a centre but wont we there for at least a season. Are there any centres in lower grades? on the market?

Srcond row is where we are really struggling. Lawrence would be a perfect bench utility. Sue is too slowand one dimensional to be on a edge. Assuming fromt row rotation of woods/ seu and grant/sue, our second row stocks are lawrence, aloili, and the red head ( forget his name).
    That is the worst second row in the comp. We need to buy 2 decent second rowers asap.

Jack de balin just resigned. Finnucin will stay with Storm. I know were interested in old mate from gold coast as well.

Who is left? Any second rowers/centres we can nab from other teams?

• Wishlist = 2x second rowers
    2 x centres
    1x halfback
    (One recruit has to kick goals)

We have the weakest players in the comp in all above positions.

• Well we will have Taumalolo and Gillett for 2018

Centre wise we will have Aitken and Dugan

All good

• @:

I know there a lot of issues in this team. Watching the other day showed me the deficiencies we have at second row and centre.

Idras is 4-5 weeks away from playing 60 minutes let alone 80. Naquaima is a liability. Suli is a centre but wont we there for at least a season. Are there any centres in lower grades? on the market?

Srcond row is where we are really struggling. Lawrence would be a perfect bench utility. Sue is too slowand one dimensional to be on a edge. Assuming fromt row rotation of woods/ seu and grant/sue, our second row stocks are lawrence, aloili, and the red head ( forget his name).
    That is the worst second row in the comp. We need to buy 2 decent second rowers asap.

Jack de balin just resigned. Finnucin will stay with Storm. I know were interested in old mate from gold coast as well.

Looking at players who have contratcs up in 2017 or might ask for a release:

Centres
    Will Chambers (this would cost big $)
    Dale Copley (stuck behind Mitchell, Ferguson, Manu, SKD) - we could probably get him this year if we have the cap space free
    Dean Whare
    Taane Milne (if he doesn’t get first grade opportunities ahead of Tim Lafai and Euan Aitken)
    Nathan Davis - seems to have already walked out on the Titans

Second-row
    Bodene Thompson (although he’s hardly going to come back)
    Gavin Cooper (too old and not without Thurston)
    Alex Glenn (on the decline)
    Chris McQueen
    Nelson Asofa-Solomona
    Kurt Capewell
    Aidan Guerra (not unless he dramatically improves his form)
    Dale Finucane (no chance we’ll get him from Melbourne)

Second row is really slim pickings. I can understand why they’re considering throwing a bit of money at a middling player like McQueen…They should be scouting ESL as well.

• ForumSupporter

So we are going to replace Our nuffy’s with Other Clubs Nuffy’s and pay more for them…

Solid Plan…

• Copleys gone , I believe.
    The people that we need here are going to command big money , no matter which ones that we could convince to come here.
    We’d be better off with using the money that we look like throwing at our pair of overpaid underperforming “star” halves and get the backrowers and centres that we need.
    We still pay overs for potential, when they’ve had more chances than most halves getand still can’t get any consistency in their game.
    The only one of our stars that deserve whatever it takes is Tedesco,
    I want to see him star for the WTs.
    But if things don’t change here quickly, he’d be better off ( for his own sake ) being somewhere else where his amazing ability is used better and opposition teams aren’t able to concentrate so much on him

• @:

Copleys gone , I believe.
    The people that we need here are going to command big money , no matter which ones that we could convince to come here.
    We’d be better off with using the money that we look like throwing at our pair of overpaid underperforming “star” halves and get the backrowers and centres that we need.
    We still pay overs for potential, when they’ve had more chances than most halves getand still can’t get any consistency in their game.
    But if things don’t change here quickly, he’d be better off ( for his own sake ) being somewhere else where his amazing ability is used better and opposition teams aren’t able to concentrate so much on him

This!
    100%
    Get rid of our juniors mentality - it only confuses and then cripples us for years to come

• @:

So we are going to replace Our nuffy’s with Other Clubs Nuffy’s and pay more for them…

Solid Plan…

Whare is a superb defender and a solid attacker. We should really make a serious play for him. He is no nuffy - whatever that is.

Other off contract players include Jordan Kahu (who would be a fantastic addition. A versatile back who can kick and slot in a number of positions. Great cover at origin too), Kyle Feldt, Aauva’a, Blake Ferguson.

Nelson is right, not a lot of second row stocks.

Anyway Geo, clearly not all fans will agree on any one potential recruit; most people on here rejected the mere idea of Luke Lewis, Ryan Hoffman, and Beau Scott when they were all available a few years ago.
    People on here and in management still hold a candle for Lawrence for some unknown reason……(?)
    Since Gareth Ellis we just haven’t had a decent second rower.

I like what you said gold coast tiger: "We still pay overs for potential". I totally agree. After years of this strategy it’s time to admit that it has failed. I’d rather pay overs for established, consistent players and leave the potential with all their risk to some other team. Anyway, most players who become good while at the Tigers leave for bigger clubs and/or better offers. Sure, we might lose out on the emergence of a superstar, but those are very rare, and the trade off is worth it.

• @:

@:

Copleys gone , I believe.

This!
    100%
    Get rid of our juniors mentality - it only confuses and then cripples us for years to come

Have to agree CQ ,we do invest enormous amounts of money in our juniors,some of which make the grade,but many,many don’t …I’m still on the fence regarding Brooks,Moses has progressed more so…
    Once we are in a stronger financial position,we should be able to hit the market and buy some solid NRL players of quality to support the likes of Teddy,Woods and Moses…of all the players on big dollars to play for us Brooks disappoints me immensely,he has had plenty of time to mature and start controlling the games for us,but doesn’t seem to have the grunt to take over when things get tough…there are plenty of NYC players who starred for their clubs,but once in the big arena seem to fall by the wayside either through career ending injuries or can’t handle the step up…I hope for Brooks sake he does start performing at this level or he may have to find another club,it’s obvious he doesn’t seem to play well for us consistently…as many I’m starting to run out of excuses for him,hoping he does come good…

• @:

@:

I know there a lot of issues in this team. Watching the other day showed me the deficiencies we have at second row and centre.

Looking at players who have contratcs up in 2017 or might ask for a release:

Centres
    Will Chambers (this would cost big $)
    Dale Copley (stuck behind Mitchell, Ferguson, Manu, SKD) - we could probably get him this year if we have the cap space free
    Dean Whare
    Taane Milne (if he doesn’t get first grade opportunities ahead of Tim Lafai and Euan Aitken)
    Nathan Davis - seems to have already walked out on the Titans

Second-row
    Bodene Thompson (although he’s hardly going to come back)
    Gavin Cooper (too old and not without Thurston)
    Alex Glenn (on the decline)
    Chris McQueen
    Nelson Asofa-Solomona
    Kurt Capewell
    Aidan Guerra (not unless he dramatically improves his form)
    Dale Finucane (no chance we’ll get him from Melbourne)

Second row is really slim pickings. I can understand why they’re considering throwing a bit of money at a middling player like McQueen…They should be scouting ESL as well.

Copley is NSW Cup standard.

Third time lucky with Capewell because the other two Ipswich forwards we purchased weren’t up for it.

Pity the young Dogs forward from the far South Coast, Adam Elliott, isn’t available. He reminds me of the typical tough Dogs forward. Their last forward from the far South Coast, Dale Finucance, isn’t a bad forward himself.

• Banned

Jack Bird is currently off contract too iirc

Can’t imagine him not asking for a lot of dosh though

• @:

@:

Solid Plan…

Whare is a superb defender and a solid attacker. We should really make a serious play for him. He is no nuffy - whatever that is.

Anyway Geo, clearly not all fans will agree on any one potential recruit; most people on here rejected the mere idea of Luke Lewis, Ryan Hoffman, and Beau Scott when they were all available a few years ago.
    People on here and in management still hold a candle for Lawrence for some unknown reason……(?)

I have a lot of time for Whare, always have, he does have down periods though and prone to injury which is what has put him down the pecking order at Panthers.

Panthers have a lot of outside back options, even with Mansour and DWZ injured, and more coming through like young Dylan Edwards.

I believe Luke Lewis is still talking about going around next year? That is the guy I’d want right now, sign him for 1 season or 2 if that is what it takes. He’s a consummate professional footballer, brings the right attitude, experience and success to the club and tides us over whilst we see the development of the next juniors.

In reggies we have Tatola, Felise, Paseka, Eisenhuth, Marsters, Bailey Siro, Mikaele. I know some people are starting to think junior pathways are not the answer, but that’s a lot of good young cattle and you would hope some of them can transition to FG in the next 1-2 seasons.

So you assume Woods stays, Tim Grant retires in a few seasons, Ava stays, Aloiai continues to improve (esp his minutes), Lawrence has a few more years and Elijah Taylor is staying on. So you need 1-2 props to step up and one more kid to keep his mobility/size balance to become the other edge backrower.

Sure we could go for a backrower somewhere else right now but stocks are a bit thin as we noted. I say go for Luke Lewis and develop the other kids under him.

• ForumSupporter

@:

@:

Solid Plan…

Other off contract players include Jordan Kahu (who would be a fantastic addition. A versatile back who can kick and slot in a number of positions. Great cover at origin too), Kyle Feldt, Aauva’a, Blake Ferguson.

Nelson is right, not a lot of second row stocks.

I like what you said gold coast tiger: "We still pay overs for potential". I totally agree. After years of this strategy it’s time to admit that it has failed. I’d rather pay overs for established, consistent players and leave the potential with all their risk to some other team. Anyway, most players who become good while at the Tigers leave for bigger clubs and/or better offers. Sure, we might lose out on the emergence of a superstar, but those are very rare, and the trade off is worth it.

I just looked at the off-contract list provided in another thread…

Established players off Contract…back row Wade Graham Jason Taumalolo Halves Shaun Johnson Johnathon Thurston Centre Will Chambers James Roberts…

Lets get serious and sign them…all much better than names thrown up above…We’ll have the money to spend…

• Banned

Graham, Taumalolo and Chambers are just what we need!

• Dale Copley granted immediate release
    The Sydney Roosters have today agreed to release centre Dale Copley from his playing contract with immediate effect to enable him to take up an opportunity at another NRL club.

Roosters CEO John Lee said: "Dale is a terrific person, and we appreciate the contribution he has made to our Club over his time with us, however we have provided this release with the view that it is in his best interests to secure his long-term future.

“On behalf of everyone associated with the Roosters, we wish Dale all the very best in his career moving forward,” he added.

Recent Topics