Signing Suggestions & Rumours

• @Geo said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Yes to Scott Isaako and Aitkin…why hasn’t it been done yet surely they re jumping at the chance to pull on the Mighty Wests Tigers jumper…

Just a backorder on their sized jerseys I’d reckon

Couldn’t possibly be any other logical reason

• @Tiges19 I’d suggest thinking about it for several minutes more.

• We should make a play for Chanel Harris-Tavita

• Just reading that the Mole is suggesting 4 Sydney clubs are chasing the signature of Eden Gebbie the PNG flyer playing with Wynnum Manly. This is the type of player we need to be chasing. We are never going to match it with the big clubs in attracting star players. We need to identify our weaknesses and go hard for young player that are looking to break in to NRL. We should be looking to get these type of players on reasonable contracts and back them up with solid first graders. By all means go for the superstars but have a Plan B when they turn up their noses at us.

• @tony-soprano said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Noticed warren McDonnell (previous recruitment manager) got the sack at the dogs wonder where he will end up?

Who cares, as long as it isn’t back with us!

• @diedpretty said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Just reading that the Mole is suggesting 4 Sydney clubs are chasing the signature of Eden Gebbie the PNG flyer playing with Wynnum Manly. This is the type of player we need to be chasing. We are never going to match it with the big clubs in attracting star players. We need to identify our weaknesses and go hard for young player that are looking to break in to NRL. We should be looking to get these type of players on reasonable contracts and back them up with solid first graders. By all means go for the superstars but have a Plan B when they turn up their noses at us.

There is a problem with that theory. I agree we should be trying to sign emerging talent in specific positions.

But if 4 other Sydney clubs are doing the same thing, well suddenly that’s a crowded market and very possibly you lose the cost/bargaining efficiency you were hoping for.

• @jirskyr said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@diedpretty said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Just reading that the Mole is suggesting 4 Sydney clubs are chasing the signature of Eden Gebbie the PNG flyer playing with Wynnum Manly. This is the type of player we need to be chasing. We are never going to match it with the big clubs in attracting star players. We need to identify our weaknesses and go hard for young player that are looking to break in to NRL. We should be looking to get these type of players on reasonable contracts and back them up with solid first graders. By all means go for the superstars but have a Plan B when they turn up their noses at us.

There is a problem with that theory. I agree we should be trying to sign emerging talent in specific positions.

But if 4 other Sydney clubs are doing the same thing, well suddenly that’s a crowded market and very possibly you lose the cost/bargaining efficiency you were hoping for.

Thats true - but at this stage unless there is a bidding war whoever gets him will get him at a reasonable price. The downside is he may be a flop at NRL level but then would be a good backup. The upside is he is another Korobete/JAC and you upgrade to keep him. If we are not one of the Sydney clubs after him then our recruitment really sucks. He is big, fast and looks reasonably safe with the high ball. Don’t know about his defence but that could be worked on. He is the type of winger/FB that everyone on here keeps whining about that we don’t have.

• @diedpretty said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@jirskyr said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@diedpretty said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Thats true - but at this stage unless there is a bidding war whoever gets him will get him at a reasonable price. The downside is he may be a flop at NRL level but then would be a good backup. The upside is he is another Korobete/JAC and you upgrade to keep him. If we are not one of the Sydney clubs after him then our recruitment really sucks. He is big, fast and looks reasonably safe with the high ball. Don’t know about his defence but that could be worked on. He is the type of winger/FB that everyone on here keeps whining about that we don’t have.

Gebbe looks the goods - worth taking a punt on him.

• Bare with me here

Our longest term players are Brooks (2023), Mbye (2022), Packer, Reynolds, Nofo, Matterson (2021). At the least you’d love to be out of all the 2021s except Matterson, Brooks you want and let’s give Mbye a pass for now. That’s, I don’t know for sure, but maybe around $1.7m (18% of $9.4m)

2020 we’ve got a few sketchy ones still, being Matulino, McQueen, Taylor. Not duds but not stars that’s for sure, but you’d have to think there’s another $1.1-1.2m (13%). Sure we’d love to move them on but realistically, the market isn’t likely to be strong

That leaves us with at almost $3m across 6 players we could realistically cover from our others and not really miss. I’ve got no solutions, we are where we are I guess on these and it seems unlikely we get much if any from there to spend

So our free cash comes down to the 2019 contract ends, so it’s Benj, Robbie, Aloiai, MCK, Gamble, Garner, Lawrence, Liddle, McIntyre, Mikaele, Rochow, Smith, Mahe, Thompson. Say we keep Aloiai, Gamble, Garner, Lawrence, Liddle, Mikaele, Smith, Mahe/Thompson, then we have the cash freed up from Benj, Robbie, MCK, McIntyre, Rochow, Mahe/Thompson, which I’m guessing at most is $2-2.5m and likely Liddle, Garner, Mikaele will cost more, so maybe we have $2m to replace 6. Tough to do and sign a gun. Looks like we are stuck with our existing rusty guns for 2020

• @Curly_Tiger

That’s…depressing.

• @tigerbalm I know

• @Curly_Tiger said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Bare with me here

Our longest term players are Brooks (2023), Mbye (2022), Packer, Reynolds, Nofo, Matterson (2021). At the least you’d love to be out of all the 2021s except Matterson, Brooks you want and let’s give Mbye a pass for now. That’s, I don’t know for sure, but maybe around $1.7m (18% of $9.4m)

2020 we’ve got a few sketchy ones still, being Matulino, McQueen, Taylor. Not duds but not stars that’s for sure, but you’d have to think there’s another $1.1-1.2m (13%). Sure we’d love to move them on but realistically, the market isn’t likely to be strong

That leaves us with at almost $3m across 6 players we could realistically cover from our others and not really miss. I’ve got no solutions, we are where we are I guess on these and it seems unlikely we get much if any from there to spend

So our free cash comes down to the 2019 contract ends, so it’s Benj, Robbie, Aloiai, MCK, Gamble, Garner, Lawrence, Liddle, McIntyre, Mikaele, Rochow, Smith, Mahe, Thompson. Say we keep Aloiai, Gamble, Garner, Lawrence, Liddle, Mikaele, Smith, Mahe/Thompson, then we have the cash freed up from Benj, Robbie, MCK, McIntyre, Mikaele, Mahe/Thompson, which I’m guessing at most is $2-2.5m and likely Liddle, Garner, Mikaele will cost more, so maybe we have $2m to replace 6. Tough to do and sign a gun. Looks like we are stuck with our existing rusty guns for 2020

Cleary really did screw us over. The only long term player worth his salt is Matterson and he has HIA issues if he gets in trouble again.

• @Curly_Tiger that’s depressing to read. Cheers to Ivan and whoever else was involved with making these decisions.

• @WT2K said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@Curly_Tiger that’s depressing to read. Cheers to Ivan and whoever else was involved with making these decisions.

Our wonderful, salary cap novice of a CEO was here for all of it. He even appointed his mate as coach.
    But he seems to avoid criticism.

• ForumSupporter

Garner is signed till the end of 2020…

Recent Topics