Signing Suggestions & Rumours

• @Geo said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@balmain-boy said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@Yossarian said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Last roster spot will be a development player.

That would be the absolutely worst case scenario. These players can already play first grade in 2 weeks. If we simply promote someone who’s already eligible to play it shows that no one wants to come here and we have zero money to play with.
    We need 1-2 new players before June 30. Preferably hard running young forwards There must be some young players desperate to play first grade who’d give us a go

Just to clarify Development players can play after June 30 without seeking an exemption but it would still need to be to cover for massive injuries in that position

As an example say you wanted to promote Bradley as a development player you would need basically all your outside back options to be unavailable for selection…If Bradley is made part of the 30 man squad he can be selected regardless of injury to other players…so you could drop a Jennings or Nofoaluma for him to play

Thanks for clarifying GEO.

• @Geo said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

That would be the absolutely worst case scenario. These players can already play first grade in 2 weeks. If we simply promote someone who’s already eligible to play it shows that no one wants to come here and we have zero money to play with.
    We need 1-2 new players before June 30. Preferably hard running young forwards There must be some young players desperate to play first grade who’d give us a go

Just to clarify Development players can play after June 30 without seeking an exemption but it would still need to be to cover for massive injuries in that position

As an example say you wanted to promote Bradley as a development player you would need basically all your outside back options to be unavailable for selection…If Bradley is made part of the 30 man squad he can be selected regardless of injury to other players…so you could drop a Jennings or Nofoaluma for him to play

Just to clarify - that’s incorrect. That’s the old system.

As per reports from late last year, this is an excerpt from an article by Brent Read:

***The NRL and the players’ union have listened to frustrated clubs and recruitment managers and will relax their rules on access to development players next season.

Clubs were told this week that they would have carte blanche to use their development players in 2019 once the June 30 deadline for player movement had passed.

That removes one of the chief bugbears for coaches on the contracting system, which underwent an overhaul last season.

Under changes that came into effect this year, clubs are restricted from using development players (each club is allowed up to six players outside their top 30 with a view to the future) unless they received special dispensation from the NRL.

That dispensation was given only in exceptional circumstances and meant a handful of players were prevented from playing first grade at times during the year.

Manly hooker Manase Fainu was among those prevented
    from making his debut but he got his opportunity when the Sea Eagles’ playing stocks hit rock bottom.

The NRL has agreed to relax those rules after the June 30 deadline. The NRL and Rugby League Players Association have also agreed with clubs that they must publicise their squads in 2019.***

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-relaxes-contracting-rules-for-2019/news-story/679733185c17342ee17316593849b2ac

• @balmain-boy said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@Geo said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Just to clarify - that’s incorrect. That’s the old system.

As per reports from late last year, this is an excerpt from an article by Brent Read:

***The NRL and the players’ union have listened to frustrated clubs and recruitment managers and will relax their rules on access to development players next season.

Clubs were told this week that they would have carte blanche to use their development players in 2019 once the June 30 deadline for player movement had passed.

That removes one of the chief bugbears for coaches on the contracting system, which underwent an overhaul last season.

Under changes that came into effect this year, clubs are restricted from using development players (each club is allowed up to six players outside their top 30 with a view to the future) unless they received special dispensation from the NRL.

That dispensation was given only in exceptional circumstances and meant a handful of players were prevented from playing first grade at times during the year.

Manly hooker Manase Fainu was among those prevented
    from making his debut but he got his opportunity when the Sea Eagles’ playing stocks hit rock bottom.

The NRL has agreed to relax those rules after the June 30 deadline. The NRL and Rugby League Players Association have also agreed with clubs that they must publicise their squads in 2019.***

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-relaxes-contracting-rules-for-2019/news-story/679733185c17342ee17316593849b2ac

Ok then, thank you for the clarification 🤣

• Banned

@gallagher thanks all of you ! I cannot for the life of me wrap my head around some of this stuff . Isn’t a contract tort law? How do we lure over another clubs juniors when we are clearly the ones developing a lot of the talent at a variety of clubs; is the NRL communist?

Edit also agree with BalmainBoy that we need a bopper, Bradley not quite ready from what I’ve seen of him thus far… potentially great but no where ready to handle FG on a wing

• @Jessica
    The NRL’s attempt at having an even competition by having a salary cap and TPA’s fails miserably; maybe largely because restraint of trade and other capitalist motives ensure susceptibility to exploitation, let alone legal challenge. The current system does not address the inevitable inequality which results from this exploitation, so the unfortunate ironic outcome is a completely imbalanced and unfair competition.

So, I wouldn’t call the NRL framework communist… or capitalist…somewhere in-between maybe? Whatever it is, it failed!

BTW, it’s all contract law. Torts are social wrongs - more or less.

• Banned

@bigsiro true, thanks siro ahah had to google to see if I was correct or not. Sounds like they just intended to govern for themselves - the result? Our disgraceful product ://

• @WT2K said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@pawsandclaws1 said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@WT2K said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@pawsandclaws1 said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@TheDaBoss Is Bradley a junior development player?

Our development players this year are

Alex Seyfarth
    Jock Madden
    Kane Bradley
    Tommy Talau

Thanks for the reply.

I’m only guessing @Yossarian would probably know who it is. My guess is Kane Bradley from this list.

The actual player is not known at the moment. At least not to me.

• There is talk out there that Corey Thompson has rejected the Tigers offer to play with us for next season and has penned a 2 year contract with Penrith after having a series secret meetings with Ivan Cleary … !!

I can feel the heat and hate coming already … !!

• @TigerSkins
    Maybe you should read the Corey Thompson thread.

• This post is deleted!

• @TopTiger said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@TigerSkins
    Maybe you should read the Corey Thompson thread.

Thanks Top … yes mabye i should refresh my computer more often hey … doh 🙂

• @balmain-boy Thanks for being the sites up to date man … well done !

• @bigsiro Is the cap only a problem in the NRL? I don’t see other codes or leagues having this issue, or if they do, it’s nowhere as blatant. Either Politis is just doing what other wealthy owners in other competitions do or the pool of talented players in rugby league is really small and this means player movement has a larger impact.

• @bigsiro said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@Jessica
    The NRL’s attempt at having an even competition by having a salary cap and TPA’s fails miserably; maybe largely because restraint of trade and other capitalist motives ensure susceptibility to exploitation, let alone legal challenge. The current system does not address the inevitable inequality which results from this exploitation, so the unfortunate ironic outcome is a completely imbalanced and unfair competition.

So, I wouldn’t call the NRL framework communist… or capitalist…somewhere in-between maybe? Whatever it is, it failed!

BTW, it’s all contract law. Torts are social wrongs - more or less.

I don’t think it fails miserably at all, it’s just a system that has it’s flaws same as any other. That’s the reality of the world - every system that strives for equality has flaws and people naturally attempt to play the system to their own advantage.

If you look at the data in terms of player movement, premiership winners and finals teams, there is proven to be some level of evenness, even if imperfect. I.e. the NRL has strong data to show that the salary cap does achieve a desired effect.

Ultimately, it’s impossible to make everything perfectly even, because even if everyone played by the book, human factors still influence the outcome.

If there was a superior method of evening out the competition, the NRL would surely consider it, because policing the salary cap is resource-consuming. I don’t know of other superior options - perhaps only a draft? But drafts are susceptible to exploitation same as any other system.

Also, ultimately, if you remove the salary cap you don’t just open up abuse from rich clubs, you put poor clubs at risk of financial self-harm.

If you want to see a completely imbalanced and unfair competition, remove the salary cap and see what clubs like Broncos, Roosters and Penrith do then!

• @krayola said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@bigsiro Is the cap only a problem in the NRL? I don’t see other codes or leagues having this issue, or if they do, it’s nowhere as blatant. Either Politis is just doing what other wealthy owners in other competitions do or the pool of talented players in rugby league is really small and this means player movement has a larger impact.

No - any sport that institutes salary caps has the same problems as NRL. Obviously some competitions don’t bother to handicap teams at all and are comfortable with the glaring disparity between the haves and have-nots, e.g. EPL.

Recent Topics