Signing Suggestions & Rumours

@Demps said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@avocadoontoast there abouts.
We need a few more signings.

Yep agree with you there. Backrower, front rower, centre and fullback should be our focus imo. I’d also like for us to get some tall fast wingers at some stage in the future.

@avocadoontoast there abouts.
We need a few more signings.

Leilua

@avocadoontoast said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@Cultured_Bogan said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Nathan Brown is a decent signing at the right price.

Still hoping there’s another quality forward on the way.

The problem is our second row. Garner is a very good player but Lawrence is no longer NRL standard and MCK far more effective off the bench as a utility.

Brown doesn’t solve this problem at all.

He wouldn’t directly solve the positional problem but looking at last year Matterson made a lot of metres. Somebody needs to make those metres this year and I’d much rather Brown be making them from lock than Eisenhuth. Most second rowers don’t make the kind of metres Matterson did. Frizell has never averaged over 110m and only averaged 93m last year. Crichton can be relied upon to make good metres, but that’s about it in terms of 2nd rowers (not locks) that have even been vaguely mentioned as possibly becoming available.

The way we have been going there will be no players left and we will gets the scrapes again… Our WTF signing could actually turn out to be Tim Mannah out of retirement…

last edited by hsvjones

@avocadoontoast Nathan Brown at 13 brings it all together tho IMO.

1. Garner
  2. Lawrence
  3. Brown

Solid bench of,

1. Mikaeke
  2. Packer (Impact prop?)
  3. MCK (utility/2RF/clutch)
  4. Aloiai (Impact toward)

Twal and Clarke to start FRF

Our current squad of forwards are:

Josh Aloiai (prop/back row)
Kane Bradley (back row)
Michael Chee-Kam (back row)
Oliver Clark (prop)
Matthew Eisenhuth (prop / back row)
Luke Garner (back row)
Chris Lawrence (back row)
Sam McIntrye (back row)
Chris McQueen (back row)
Thomas Mikaele (prop)
Russell Packer (prop)
Alex Seyfarth (back row)
Elijah Taylor (back row)
Alex Twal (prop / back row)

if the WTF is correct then add:

Nathan Brown (prop / back row)

Although Brownie isnt as large as other forwards … he certainly makes up for it with determination and has a mongrel attitude … I will always remember that game in in the under 20’s when he got sent off against Canberra … as he was walking off he was seen and heard yelling at the Canberra players … “see you all in the car park after the game, you … bleep bleep bleep … !!”

last edited by TigerSkins

@Nelson said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@avocadoontoast said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Nathan Brown is a decent signing at the right price.

Still hoping there’s another quality forward on the way.

The problem is our second row. Garner is a very good player but Lawrence is no longer NRL standard and MCK far more effective off the bench as a utility.

Brown doesn’t solve this problem at all.

He wouldn’t directly solve the positional problem but looking at last year Matterson made a lot of metres. Somebody needs to make those metres this year and I’d much rather Brown be making them from lock than Eisenhuth. Most second rowers don’t make the kind of metres Matterson did. Frizell has never averaged over 110m and only averaged 93m last year. Crichton can be relied upon to make good metres, but that’s about it in terms of 2nd rowers (not locks) that have even been vaguely mentioned as possibly becoming available.

I never said Brown wasn’t a decent player. He absolutely is but he comes with risks as he’s had a couple of bad injuries in succession. Regardless, if we get him we absolutely need to sign another backrower.

@Lukic said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Brown’s two recent injuries were a pectoral tear and an ankle/foot injury. I’m not overly fussed about the injuries because they’re unrelated. If he had continually injured his knee/shoulder etc. then yes I would worry, but there’s nothing about them that seems anything more than bad luck.

I think he’d be a great signing. He’s every bit as good as Matterson in the 13 jersey and shouldn’t be too expensive if the Eels are paying part of his package. Leaves a nice Frizell sized vacancy on the right edge too.

He just did a syndesmosis as well though didn’t he?

@hsvjones might seem that way mate, but we have to spend wisely no point blowing it all now on who ever is available. Wait and the rite players will come up.

@Nelson said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@Lukic said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Brown’s two recent injuries were a pectoral tear and an ankle/foot injury. I’m not overly fussed about the injuries because they’re unrelated. If he had continually injured his knee/shoulder etc. then yes I would worry, but there’s nothing about them that seems anything more than bad luck.

I think he’d be a great signing. He’s every bit as good as Matterson in the 13 jersey and shouldn’t be too expensive if the Eels are paying part of his package. Leaves a nice Frizell sized vacancy on the right edge too.

He just did a syndesmosis as well though didn’t he?

When just on the weekend gone?

Don’t think Brown is currently injured. Played two full games at the 9s for Aus.

@OzLuke said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@OzLuke said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@teddy23 said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Bulldogs apparently are now OUT of the race to sign Latrell Mitchell

Roosters offering less than the current deal

I know people close to Latrell and have been told this is practically his last year at the Roosters during the 2020 season

He’s a superstar and I think people seem to forget that he’s only 22

I think we should go hard, working with Madge will do him wonders

Also an excellent goal kicker

As good a player as he is I think he is a petulant mental snowflake…

He’s a bush kid. A lot of them have trouble adjusting to the fame and city life. He’s a goal kicker, young, quick, has x-factor and a representative player. The maturity will come with the right coach. We’d be stupid not to have a dip at him.

and he’s still having a strop about being dropped for origin after his game 1 shocker? that’s not a bush kid struggling with the big smoke…that’s a spoiled brat obvious talent or not

We respond to criticism differently. He’s immature, I’ll agree with that but he’s certainly worth speaking to. Madge won’t tolerate loafers.

I reckon a Crichton or Frizell is the WTF.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Brown takes the position in the 30 which had been there for Musgrove.

Can see a Lomax and maybe Brimson coming into the side in 2021.

End of 2020 season, we can plan for 2022 signings using Packer and Reynolds money (approx $1.6-$1.8m). 2021 should see a massive increase in quality and 2022 there are no excuses.

Haven’t written 2020 off though either.

Just to illustrate what is possible based on our current $1.7 million apparent free cap space

This can grow best case you’d think to $2.5m if CMQ took the ESL deal and we offload JRey to say the Gold Coast who pay him $400k and we pay the rest

That means we then go from 5 spots to fill to 7 and if you get slightly creative (not talking Dessie level) here is how you could spend it, although the names are obviously replaceable. Either way, it looks pretty good to me, I’d be more than happy with that squad for 2020

577b5b3f-0605-4c1b-8409-8e8358d090a7-image.png

last edited by Curly_Tiger

@jadtiger

I understand that point but when you see a player with Latrell’s caliber at his age it’s hard to avoid, don’t think we’re gonna have a better chance to sign a player with this skillset

Moylan and Milford are both linked to us

I know who’d I would rather if you add Latrell to that equation, put him in Madge’s system and watch him develop

It would be the perfect signing cause we seem to be on the rebuild while also competing, what better than adding a 22-year-old representative player who mirrors GI and the scary thing is that he isn’t even properly released yet

Yes a million a season is much - but I would defs throw 850-900k a year to him just IMO

@teddy23 - or throw a huge tanty, go and sulk and refuse to play. Remember he doesnt sing the national anthem- he already has a huge chip on his shoulders. Let some other team take the chance. I’d rather Moses Suli come back.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.