Signing Suggestions & Rumours

• @jirskyr I think as good as LM is at times he never shone when Keary played. Keary’s crab-like running style pushed LM into the left winger’s backside so many times it’s a wonder The Roosters won at all. At FB he’ll enjoy the space and Benji will love having a weapon running onto no-look passes. So despite his swayback deformity, I’m warming - so yep, for now, cos sadly he’ll be Gonski 3 years anyway.

• @TillLindemann said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@Muffstar

I wouldn’t believe the story about Valentine Holmes and Toronto for one minute.

Don’t forget the Super League also has a salary cap still, and it’s actually lower than the NRL.

The reason they could throw so much money at SBW is Super League clubs get an exemption from the salary cap for one marquee player. If it’s true SBW has signed with them then they couldn’t afford to throw much at Valentine Holmes

Super League has a salary Cap “Marquee” exemption if you attract a player from another code, which is why they are targetting Holmes (from NFL).

• @jirskyr said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@happy_tiger said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@jirskyr said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@happy_tiger said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

He doesn’t or hasn’t really shown a creative bone in his body at this stage

Doesn’t need to be creative when he can steamroll people the way he does.

Greg Inglis was no ball-playing or kicking freak, he just monstered people and ran faster than most of them at the same time.

Yeah when you get the ball in 1 on 1 situations like he does at the moment it’s different

And you move him he goes from touching the ball maybe 15 times a game to 50 times a game and is far easier to defend against , especially if he doesn’t have ball runners outside him

he doesn’t have Cronk inside him …Keary inside him …and another vocal point that is even more dangerous than himself floating everywhere like Tedesco

And then you add to the fact he has a forward pack laying a solid foundation every week and best defensive unit in the NRL around him

I don’t disagree specifically, but I think he can make it as a fullback. Part of the issue with his “consistency” in my opinion, is that he isn’t given enough quality ball and isn’t asked to enter the fray often enough, so you are then left with having him wait or choose to get involved.

“That game” against us at Bankwest, that the papers keep referring to, he basically decided to finish the game by himself, barnstorming 10 minutes and the arm-wrestle was done, and it basically had nothing to do with Cronk or Tedesco (I think Keary was injured at the time).

I’ve always thought Latrell could be a terrific fullback, he just needs to be given the responsibility. It might end up like Inglis, he might only have a few years of FB in him.

But somewhat wasted at centre IMO and the price bracket is high for a goal-kicking decent centre, because we already have the Roosters’ previous “value” option there.

I’m not saying he can’t play fullback either …I am saying it will be far ,far ,far harder being successful at fullback at the WT’s than a lot of other clubs …especially the current 2020 version of the WT’s

• @bptiger
    It was mentioned on Big Sports Breakfast this morning the signing had been completed and players have to go for him to play Moylan and Caldwell most likely

• @happy_tiger why? The halves are good ! The forwards are young with potential . The backs , are solid if not dynamic. We were middle of the pack without a fullback , which if we know it , other teams know it ! So can plan accordingly.
    I fail to see , with the COE being built as well, how this at all true !
    There are now multiple junior kangaroos ,or kiwis, in the team from the last few years ;
    Twal
    Clarke
    Liddle
    Momirovski
    Mikalele
    The NZ captain.
    Mbye is an origin player
    Brooks is a borderline origin player ( I call bull to you Morons who claim he’s crap)
    Garner , if he continues his rise , will be apart of the conversations next year .
    And a premiership winning coach ! Please explain your negative , defeatist response ?

• @Glenn5150 said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@TillLindemann said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@Muffstar

I wouldn’t believe the story about Valentine Holmes and Toronto for one minute.

Don’t forget the Super League also has a salary cap still, and it’s actually lower than the NRL.

The reason they could throw so much money at SBW is Super League clubs get an exemption from the salary cap for one marquee player. If it’s true SBW has signed with them then they couldn’t afford to throw much at Valentine Holmes

Super League has a salary Cap “Marquee” exemption if you attract a player from another code, which is why they are targetting Holmes (from NFL).

Isn’t it one per club, Wolfpack used that on SBW, so if it is one per club Holmes misses out

• @Glenn5150 Yeah but my point is they’ve already used it up on Sonny Bill Williams

• @TillLindemann you should have been paid $1mil a season for that!

• While this Matterson Mark 2 scenario is being played out in the media, I hope our club has moved right in to sign some outstanding juniors to continue on with the purchases made the previous year. Doesn’t anyone feel a little uneasy about the precedent set by the Matterson case? Play well and expect more $ despite having a contract to honour?

• @Strongee said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@happy_tiger why? The halves are good ! The forwards are young with potential . The backs , are solid if not dynamic. We were middle of the pack without a fullback , which if we know it , other teams know it ! So can plan accordingly.
    I fail to see , with the COE being built as well, how this at all true !
    There are now multiple junior kangaroos ,or kiwis, in the team from the last few years ;
    Twal
    Clarke
    Liddle
    Momirovski
    Mikalele
    The NZ captain.
    Mbye is an origin player
    Brooks is a borderline origin player ( I call bull to you Morons who claim he’s crap)
    Garner , if he continues his rise , will be apart of the conversations next year .
    And a premiership winning coach ! Please explain your negative , defeatist response ?

I’ve never Brooks is crap for starters …I have said about a thousand times he needs to hit the line at speed and isn’t an organizational style half

Potential is exactly that …potential I’ve seen enough potential WT’s players who don’t make the next step to last me 2 life times

I’m putting myself in Latrell’s shoes …if I was going to sign with an NRL club to start playing fullback the current version of the WT’s wouldn’t be my choice

We need to stick a good forward pack on the park …we’ve lost Matterson and Matulino and we were at least one prop short last season and still need another back rower

Spend most of the money to get some forwards …try and get a TPA linked to at least 2 of them and lets see how we go then

• Apparently we’ve signed Brad Abbey.

• @Ponyo said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Apparently we’ve signed Brad Abbey.

Lol according to who? Would be absolutely horrible if true

• @happy_tiger
    Let’s be honest, WT wouldn’t be anyone’s first choice.
    But what if 1-2 other stars were part of it? Then we might have an exciting revolution happening here.

Just dreaming here…

• @balmain-boy said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@Ponyo said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Apparently we’ve signed Brad Abbey.

Lol according to who? Would be absolutely horrible if true

He’s coming off a torn ACL as well , wasn’t great before that

Recent Topics