Signing Suggestions & Rumours

@supercoach said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@JoshColeman99 said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@pawsandclaws1 said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@Roar_Power said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@Tiger-Tragic said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Unfortunately there is no space in first grade for Garner next year. I like him and he has talent but it’s game over.

Why is it “game over”? Why can’t he be coached to improve here?

If he has the deficiencies you believe, why would Hasler want him? If it’s true, and I hope it’s not, surely it’s because Manly sees potential to improve him?

So, why can’t that happen here?

TT, I don’t think Garner fits Madge’s type of 2nd rower, thats all. Just an opinion. He can continue to improve and play NRL but I personally think it will be at another club.

So this young second row giant from the Cowboys will replace him?

We will need a replacement if we let Garner go. We are short on second rowers next season as it is.

I would imagine this all about getting a roster vacancy for a incoming player and is all being organised the players management. So if Garner is going, I am sure is replacement coming. It’s the way these things usually pan out

I mean it probably won’t even happen. Sure manly might want Garner but if we don’t have a replacement or don’t want to get rid of him then we won’t. He seems pretty happy at the club and brought his younger brother down too so I’d be surprised if he pushed for a release.

@jrtiger said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@tiger_one said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@TigerWest said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Unfortunately there is no space in first grade for Garner next year. I like him and he has talent but it’s game over.

If he has the deficiencies you believe, why would Hasler want him? If it’s true, and I hope it’s not, surely it’s because Manly sees potential to improve him?

TT, I don’t think Garner fits Madge’s type of 2nd rower, thats all. Just an opinion. He can continue to improve and play NRL but I personally think it will be at another club.

Who is that?

A huge 18 year old Kiwi second row forward at 6ft 4 and 104kgs. T. Simpkins if my memory is correct. There was mention of him in this thread.

Sorry but have I missed something here - have we actually signed this Simkins from the Cowboys?

Tuki Simpkins was in discussions with us over a move for next year, this was confirmed by The POM.

I mean, Garner for Simpkins makes sense providing Blore nails down that position on the right edge. I’ve got no concerns over his ability, just his fitness, but hopefully pre-season will change that.

Just did a little digging around, apparently Manly started the ball rolling as they have a real shortage next year in the backrow. Thomson off to ESL, Wardell to the Dogs and Boyle is probably leaving. This came from a guy who is connected to one of the big management companies…he could not tell me what’s in it for our mob, but will let me know if he hears anything

We will need a replacement if we let Garner go. We are short on second rowers next season as it is.

I would imagine this all about getting a roster vacancy for a incoming player and is all being organised the players management. So if Garner is going, I am sure is replacement coming. It’s the way these things usually pan out

I mean it probably won’t even happen. Sure manly might want Garner but if we don’t have a replacement or don’t want to get rid of him then we won’t. He seems pretty happy at the club and brought his younger brother down too so I’d be surprised if he pushed for a release.

Real chance of happening

I reckon it’s a very good chance of happening. Garner is clearly on the outer here and has two years to run on his contract. Would give us the roster spot to sign that Simpkins kid in Qld the Pom was talking about.

I like the guy but I really think that he has not come up to expectations.
His improvement this year has been 0 and in fact for me his game has gone backwards.
He needs a change for sure which may help.

@momo_amp_medo said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

His improvement this year has been 0 and in fact for me his game has gone backwards.

Defensively he’s gone backwards for sure.

@avocadoontoast said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

I reckon it’s a very good chance of happening. Garner is clearly on the outer here and has two years to run on his contract. Would give us the roster spot to sign that Simpkins kid in Qld the Pom was talking about.

Madge won’t do it without having a replacement. They rate that Simpkins guy so I’d be surprised if we grabbed him but would be good.

I was never convinced when people were gushing over him last year. He’s an average first grader.

@GNR4LIFE said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

I was never convinced when people were gushing over him last year. He’s an average first grader.

I thought last year he looked pretty decent in attack but he was never going to be more than an average first grader. No real loss.

Asiata is supposedly looking at Sydney move. I’ve never really taken notice of how he goes defensively in the middle but did play as a half for a little bit a couple of years ago

@Red88_Tiger said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Asiata is supposedly looking at Sydney move. I’ve never really taken notice of how he goes defensively in the middle but did play as a half for a little bit a couple of years ago

Would make a decent lock. We don’t currently have a lot of middle forwards who can pass the ball.

In saying that, assuming we’ve signed Tamou, we don’t need more middle forwards.

last edited by weststigerman

@Red88_Tiger said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Maybe 3-4 years ago - the boat has well and truly sailed.

Nek minute Garner secures Blues jersey, unknown Simpkins kid playing CC

@Lauren said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Conditions of Addin Fonua-Blake’s Manly release revealed
Manly Sea Eagles have turned their attention to player market following Addin Fonua-Blake’s release request - and a familiar face is among several potential targets.
Michael Carayannis, The Daily Telegraph
Subscriber only
|
September 16, 2020 5:13pm

FOXSPORTS0:49
Turbo Tom set for return
NRL: Turbo Tom Trbojevic is set for his return to the Manly Sea Eagles this weekend.

The Sea Eagles will turn their attention to the player market with the likes of Kieran Foran and Luke Garner among potential targets as the club deals with the shock release request of Addin Fonua-Blake.
Sea Eagles officials were completely blindsided when an emotional Fonua-Blake spoke to the club on Monday and told them he wanted out of the final two years of his deal.
Fonua-Blake told the club he and his young family had a desire to quit Sydney and move closer to family.

Where did the interest in Garner come from? Clubs can’t just start targeting contracted players or is Madge actively shopping him around? Who knows what’s happening behind closed doors.

While i think Garner hasnt had the best year we do need to remember we swapped him from left to right 2 weeks in after training on the left and previously playing om the left because the defence was so bad on the right. Perhaps he is looking for a left side role somewhere else too. He wasnt moved because he was doing badly in fact we messed up oyr left side because the fight side was so bad in defence mainly thanks to Benji and Joey.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme