Signing Suggestions & Rumours

@boonboon said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

While i think Garner hasnt had the best year we do need to remember we swapped him from left to right 2 weeks in after training on the left and previously playing om the left because the defence was so bad on the right. Perhaps he is looking for a left side role somewhere else too. He wasnt moved because he was doing badly in fact we messed up oyr left side because the fight side was so bad in defence mainly thanks to Benji and Joey.

True but shifting from left to right shouldn’t affect his ability to make a tackle. His defence has been pretty bad.

While i think Garner hasnt had the best year we do need to remember we swapped him from left to right 2 weeks in after training on the left and previously playing om the left because the defence was so bad on the right. Perhaps he is looking for a left side role somewhere else too. He wasnt moved because he was doing badly in fact we messed up oyr left side because the fight side was so bad in defence mainly thanks to Benji and Joey.

I’ve felt for a long time his form suffered because of being shifted to cover for the defensive inadequacies on the right. I also believe Brooks’ form suffered because he didn’t have Garner’s gap running.

@avocadoontoast said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

True but shifting from left to right shouldn’t affect his ability to make a tackle. His defence has been pretty bad.

Perhaps those on the right should have been made accountable for poor defence, not just Marshall.

@pawsandclaws1 said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Perhaps those on the right should have been made accountable for poor defence, not just Marshall.

I agree, but Garner has had a habit of falling off tackles lately.

@Tcat said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@Lauren said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Conditions of Addin Fonua-Blake’s Manly release revealed
Manly Sea Eagles have turned their attention to player market following Addin Fonua-Blake’s release request - and a familiar face is among several potential targets.
Michael Carayannis, The Daily Telegraph
Subscriber only
|
September 16, 2020 5:13pm

FOXSPORTS0:49
Turbo Tom set for return
NRL: Turbo Tom Trbojevic is set for his return to the Manly Sea Eagles this weekend.

The Sea Eagles will turn their attention to the player market with the likes of Kieran Foran and Luke Garner among potential targets as the club deals with the shock release request of Addin Fonua-Blake.
Sea Eagles officials were completely blindsided when an emotional Fonua-Blake spoke to the club on Monday and told them he wanted out of the final two years of his deal.
Fonua-Blake told the club he and his young family had a desire to quit Sydney and move closer to family.

Where did the interest in Garner come from? Clubs can’t just start targeting contracted players or is Madge actively shopping him around? Who knows what’s happening behind closed doors.

Maybe the drop in effort can be attributed to players being made aware theylre not wanted?

@Elderslie_Tiger said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@twentyforty said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@Aesopian said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@Elderslie_Tiger said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@Aesopian said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@OzLuke said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Well if Manly want Garner, and he is under contract for another 2 years…what are manly going to give us in return?? Considering they have stated when AFB goes they aren’t paying a cent…time some clubs started to grow some minerals when it comes to helping other clubs out

We don’t owe anybody anything so as long as the club plays hardball for our own benefit…then hallelujah!!!

Imagine willingly helping the scummy seabirds😠

If you want it Des, you gotta pay for it. No freebies mateefence

Garner had that word about him POTENTIAL sadly I dont think he’s taken the next step this year his defence has been ordinary and if he was to be released I dont think we would miss him with the young guys coming through and if it frees up cap space even better

At worst he’s good depth considering the injury toll across the league.

For sure let him go, but our backrower stocks coming through the grades is nothing special. We’d need a ready made replacement before releasing him.

No point weakening our roster and strengthening another clubs. Especially scummy manly

If Manly want Garner then WT need a reliable replacement. How about Sironen? How about all the Sironens?

Don’t you think Paul’s a bit old😺😺😺😺

Yeah but still better than our current Props 🤭🤭

@Tcat said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@Lauren said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Conditions of Addin Fonua-Blake’s Manly release revealed
Manly Sea Eagles have turned their attention to player market following Addin Fonua-Blake’s release request - and a familiar face is among several potential targets.
Michael Carayannis, The Daily Telegraph
Subscriber only
|
September 16, 2020 5:13pm

FOXSPORTS0:49
Turbo Tom set for return
NRL: Turbo Tom Trbojevic is set for his return to the Manly Sea Eagles this weekend.

The Sea Eagles will turn their attention to the player market with the likes of Kieran Foran and Luke Garner among potential targets as the club deals with the shock release request of Addin Fonua-Blake.
Sea Eagles officials were completely blindsided when an emotional Fonua-Blake spoke to the club on Monday and told them he wanted out of the final two years of his deal.
Fonua-Blake told the club he and his young family had a desire to quit Sydney and move closer to family.

Where did the interest in Garner come from? Clubs can’t just start targeting contracted players or is Madge actively shopping him around? Who knows what’s happening behind closed doors.

Maybe the drop in effort can be attributed to players being made aware theylre not wanted?

Maybe, but there could be a mental weakness involved if a player’s performance is negatively affected by a coach issuing a challenge to step up or ship out. Hopefully not in this case, hopefully just the second year syndrome.

It’s been mentioned a couple of times, but I hope that Garner goes to Manly, on the proviso that it’s if they send Storm a winger (Garrick perhaps), which lets us get Addo-Carr and T.Simpkins from Cows as well.

@JD-Tiger said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

It’s been mentioned a couple of times, but I hope that Garner goes to Manly, on the proviso that it’s if they send Storm a winger (Garrick perhaps), which lets us get Addo-Carr and T.Simpkins from Cows as well.

Garrick looks likely to go to Dragons.

@Newtown said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Maybe Storm can have Tristan Sailor who’s off contract from the Dragons?

Really, Storm need two wingers (with Vunivalu also going), and surely they’ve been looking. I’m surprised they haven’t sorted something by now. They must have been looking, I guess their plan and back-up plans just haven’t been publicised.

Why did Garrick come out and say that’s news to him…

The Trade rage button looming large of late…

Nofa has been getting blamed for years because Benji cant tackle and Kevie used to gallop out of the line missing everyone,at least now people are seeing where the problem started.

@jadtiger said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Nofa has been getting blamed for years because Benji cant tackle and Kevie used to gallop out of the line missing everyone,at least now people are seeing where the problem started.

Spot on, not saying he’s the worlds best defender but people often overlook what happens inside of him and just see him rushing out in a 3 on 1 and associate it as his problem.
For me its the whole defensive unit on the right

@jadtiger said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

How many times have we watched Nofoaluma go in when he should gave stayed on his wing?

@TigerWest said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@Roar_Power said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@Tiger-Tragic said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

@Roar_Power said in Signing Suggestions & Rumours:

Unfortunately there is no space in first grade for Garner next year. I like him and he has talent but it’s game over.

Why is it “game over”? Why can’t he be coached to improve here?

If he has the deficiencies you believe, why would Hasler want him? If it’s true, and I hope it’s not, surely it’s because Manly sees potential to improve him?

So, why can’t that happen here?

TT, I don’t think Garner fits Madge’s type of 2nd rower, thats all. Just an opinion. He can continue to improve and play NRL but I personally think it will be at another club.

So this young second row giant from the Cowboys will replace him?

Who is that?

A huge 18 year old Kiwi second row forward at 6ft 4 and 104kgs. T. Simpkins if my memory is correct. There was mention of him in this thread.

Simpkins was signed by the Cowboys after being spotted at the 2016 New Zealand under 15s Rugby League National Championships.

A 6’4, 17-year-old back-rower, Simpkins was one of the top schoolboy rugby union prospects in New Zealand and attracted the interest of a number of Super Rugby franchises before ultimately opting to sign for the Cowboys.

I have a vague memory of us signing some gun Kiwi teenager, maybe it was even a school scholarship or something, in the last year or two. No idea what his name was or what the details were.

last edited by TillLindemann

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme