Last week's bench

now i am not having a whinge (like many on here) about what happened last week, but i just want to try and figure out what the best bench for the tigers is.

we were backing up from two tough road trips to Canberra and North Queensland, were missing our 2 biggest front rowers in Galloway and Payten, and went into the game without a front rower on the bench?

losing schirnack on gameday obviously didn’t help, but to go into that match with a bench consisting of a winger (brown), a second rower / five-eight (Flannagan), a wide running 2nd rower who can play prop at a pinch (moors), and a wide running 2nd rower / center (mataka)

now, i like many people on here would prefer an extra prop on the bench all year round, but i can see why we don’t when our prop rotation includes galloway, gibbs, fifita, and payten (also playing a bit of back row)……

but when we are missing 2 of our best props, you need to cover that by replacing them with even more big men, don’t go smaller!!!

ideal bench for this week (assuming galloway is back)
14. Fifita
15. Moors
16. Flannagan
17. Taumata

1 x prop
1 x 2nd rower / prop
1 x 2nd rower
1 x utility

please, please, please go with a little bit of size on the bench…the panthers pack is just about the best in the game

I honestly think the problem was that none of our Top 40 ranked props were actually available and fit for the game.

I would have liked to see Mataka used a little earlier in rotation as Heighno and Ellis will both hit it up the guts if asked, they just required some rest before being asked to do so for mine.

Getting some troops back will certainly help

I think we need two genuine props on the bench.

Ideally, once we find a concrete halves combo, I don’t think we need to have Flanagan plus a utility on the bench. Flanagan and Fulton in my opinion have good utility value and in the event of injury a shuffle can occur. For the time being I am happy to carry that utility, until we find the halves.

So I guess the bench I think would suit us best is two genuine props, another forward (whether it is a second rower or a smaller prop) and Flanagan, who is the second rower/utility.

@Centaur:

I think we need two genuine props on the bench.

So I guess the bench I think would suit us best is two genuine props, another forward (whether it is a second rower or a smaller prop) and Flanagan, who is the second rower/utility.

at full strength, galloway, gibbs, fifita, payten is plenty enough (regardless of where payten starts)

Well I am not convinced Payten should be in our top 17 at the moment to be honest.

u didn’t seen how much we missed him last week?

if u want 2 genuine props on the bench, who do u want in over payten?

Go to Penrith with a small bench it,s going to be ugly.

@Centaur:

Well I am not convinced Payten should be in our top 17 at the moment to be honest.

Based on what??

Todd Payten has fantastic impact on all games.

Ball playing forwards like him contribute massively in attack and defense.

We missed him against the dogs, and his experience in the forwards.

He is a great player, still, in my opinion.

payten should be a bench prop now, thats it.

a bench of

fifita
payten
flanagan
cayless/moors

when at full strenght is the best bench.

I think Payten should be either starting second row or bench prop.

His size and skill is good to utilize in the second row, its almost like having a 3rd front rower on the field. He has some great attributes. A good defender too.

Saying he is not in the top 17 is way off the mark. But then again, thats just my opinion. There is no right or wrong there.

Payten adds alot to our attack… I hope he plays against the Panthers

Anyone who thinks Payten should not be in our first 17 is kidding themselves.

@smeghead:

I honestly think the problem was that none of our Top 40 ranked props were actually available and fit for the game.

I would have liked to see Mataka used a little earlier in rotation as Heighno and Ellis will both hit it up the guts if asked, they just required some rest before being asked to do so for mine.

Getting some troops back will certainly help

That was certainly the problem last week. The constant dropped ball and defence on the try line certainly took it’s toll on the Tigers in the end, they had no real grunt coming out of their own end which made it tough for the outside backs to do anything.

Hopefully Sheens is in a position where he does have some extra size available this week. He will need it against the Panthers. Last year in particular the Tigers were guilty of very poor handling in both games against the Panthers and paid for it in the backend of each match conceding late, soft tries. A bit of extra size in the middle and looking to play a tight game up the middle drawing the Panthers in is the way to go in this one IMO. Galloway and Payten will both help if they are fit. Not sure whether I’d throw Cayless in, but a bench of: Fifita, Payten, Moors and Flanagan offers a bit more size and stability.

Doubt we’ll see a bench like this, but I reckon that’s the type of bench needed to combat the Panthers pack.

Payten is one of my favourite Tigers, but so far this season (and most of last season for that matter) he has not been performing at his usual standard – and I am not sure he will be able to reach his usual standard anymore. He has become injury prone and seems unprepared to do any hard work.

No one can genuinely say that he has had a major influence in any of the games he has played this year? The stats show 8 runs for 57 metres against the Eels, 7 for 72 against the Raiders and 1 run for 6 metres against the Cowboys (I know he was injured but he still played half a game). These figures are ordinary for someone of his size and ability. Stats aside, he has not even looked dangerous with the ball this year. People talk about his ball playing but I don’t recall a single offload, line break assist or try assist this year. Sure he makes 20 odd tackles are game, but none of them are dominant like those from Ellis – as a matter of fact I think most of his tackles are second man in.

Is he a forward leader? Of course he is, he would be the most experienced in the club. But this does not mean he can play below average and still demand a spot in the side. When Galloway and he return, four players from Friday nights bench will miss out one assumes. Considering Sheens will always run with a back/utility on the bench it means that it is out of Moors, Flanagan and Mataka. Mataka will be one and Moors most likely the other. Well I am sorry but Moors looked more dangerous on Friday night than Payten has this year – and Moors has barely set the world alight himself!

You can tell me I am kidding myself, but until someone can point out what he has provided this year or he can start to show me what he used to be capable of than I am not sure he should keeps others out of the team.

Obviously he will walk into the side when he returns from injury, and that is fine, his reputation warrants that. But he really needs to lift his game, in my opinion.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme