Grim reality of 2018?

Don’t get me wrong, I trust Cleary and the rebuild he is undertaking. Part of me is looking forward to a complete overhaul of the playing roster. However as things stand I still think we would be close to Spoon favourites in 2018 with most bookies?. As things stand do people seriously think we will be a better side in 2018? In Reynolds and Maqueen we have a couple of old school competitors but thy wont put points on the board for us. We need some class and strike power badly.

Moses is no great loss. I have said for 6 months he is a poor man’s Benji and that might be an insult to Benji who won us a competition and several games with his magic and madness. I’m not a huge fan of Josh Reyonlds as a skillful and classy 6 however he can bring other elements this club has been lacking for a long time.

Woods is expendable however he is still an Origin prop. If we can get Packer or a good solid Prop to go with Matolino and Maqueen he might have actually have a better pack in 2018. As it stands though it will probably still be one of the weaker packs in the comp in 2018.

However without Tedesco I think he need about another 3 or 4 signings. That is the big problem. Thats how much he is worth sadly when fit and available. He is more then just a fullback. He was a ball player and could take eyes off others, I know we had other issues last night with players playing banged up and a reduced interchange. However I think it was pretty grim watching the sheer lack of strike power on the field.

Connor Watson would be a decent start and I’m a fan of young Dylan Edwards at the Panthers. I actually think Will Hopoate would be a really good centre and a big upgrade on MCK. I would actually move heaven and earth to try and get Matt Moylan if the Panthers continue to flounder. He is in the Tedesco mould, not as explosive, however would add class and skill to the side and balance it out really well.

The Eels lost Jarryd Hayne in 2014, who was considered the best fullback in the competition and it’s been nothing but a blessing for them. We just need a solid fullback and Brooks and Reynolds will lead the team around.

How can you possibly garnish what our reality will be before seeing the squad we will assemble.

Mate I agree with you.

2018 will see the best of Luke Brooks, mark my word.

We need a fullback like Dylan Edwards. It is down to Edwards or Connor Watson, they are both tedesco-esque. Dylan provides great kick returns too, the only problem is we need both to be released.

Dylan Edwards or Connor Watson would be great. Both would be unbelievable.

We need some strike power thats my point.

Cleary has added a bit of starch and toughness, however there is a distinct lack of class in the team heading into 2018 at the minute.

The lack of strike power on the field was not because Tedesco was missing. It was because we had a reserve grader at best playing fullback. I guarantee if we had someone like Lolohea playing in fullback in place of Tedesco, things would have been different.

@:

Don’t get me wrong, I trust Cleary and the rebuild he is undertaking. Part of me is looking forward to a complete overhaul of the playing roster. However as things stand I still think we would be close to Spoon favourites in 2018. In Reynolds and Maqueen we have a couple of oll school competitors but thy wont pt points on the board for us.

Moses is no great loss. I have said for 6 months he is a poor man’s Benji and that might be an insult to Benji who won us a competition and several games with his magic and madness. I’m not a huge fan of Josh Reyonlds as a skillful and classy 6 however he can bring other elements this club has been lacking for a long time.

Woods is expendable. If we can get Packer or a good solid Prop to go with Matolino and Maqueen he have actually have a bettr pack in 2018.

However without Tedesco I think he need about another 3 signings. Thats how much he is worth sadly when fit and available. I know we had other issues last night with players playing banged up and a reduced interchange. However I think it was pretty grim watching the sheer lack of strike power on the field.

Connor Watson would be excellent. I would actually move heaven and earth to try and get Matt Moylan if the Panthers continue to flounder.

Maybe Eddie, we could be one playmaker short. However since the Sheens Era we have stacked the spine with playmakers and not really gone anywhere (with the exception of the John Morris years).

I think this optimism is a bit easy to buy into, re winning comps. However, a tough competitive team with a good half has a better chance of making the top 8 than we have recently.

My point is as things stand I would give our side little chance of making the 8 or improving on 2017.

The signing of 2-3 good outside backs could change that though.

I think we’ll be alright Eddie. There’s still enough talent on the market for the Tigers to secure a solid forward pack and a decent backline. Over what we currently have, I am hopeful our overall squad for next year will actually be stronger. Out of the players we are losing, I think Tedesco is the only one which really hurts, but if we can secure someone like Lolohea or Watson, or Hopoate then at least we go into 2018 with a decent fullback who can get the job done.

I look at last night and with the injuries etc, I was very impressed with the performances of the young guys such as Suli and Aloiai, they really got stuck in and Cleary summed it up well afterwards, there’s a lot of upside to the club and some players are starting to learn how to play longer minutes and improve their mindset. This has been our biggest weakness for years - mental strength. I think under Cleary the team is starting to realise that they can compete with the best sides.

@:

Don’t get me wrong, I trust Cleary and the rebuild he is undertaking. Part of me is looking forward to a complete overhaul of the playing roster. However as things stand I still think we would be close to Spoon favourites in 2018 with most bookies?. As things stand do people seriously think we will be a better side in 2018? In Reynolds and Maqueen we have a couple of old school competitors but thy wont put points on the board for us. We need some class and strike power badly.

Woods is expendable however he is still an Origin prop. If we can get Packer or a good solid Prop to go with Matolino and Maqueen he might have actually have a better pack in 2018. As it stands though it will probably still be one of the weaker packs in the comp in 2018.

However without Tedesco I think he need about another 3 or 4 signings. That is the big problem. Thats how much he is worth sadly when fit and available. He is more then just a fullback. He was a ball player and could take eyes off others, I know we had other issues last night with players playing banged up and a reduced interchange. However I think it was pretty grim watching the sheer lack of strike power on the field.

Connor Watson would be a decent start and I’m a fan of young Dylan Edwards at the Panthers. I actually think Will Hopoate would be a really good centre and a big upgrade on MCK. I would actually move heaven and earth to try and get Matt Moylan if the Panthers continue to flounder. He is in the Tedesco mould, not as explosive, however would add class and skill to the side and balance it out really well.

Eddie, I agree Teddy is a big loss. He is a wonderful football player. A once in a generation player. But they way the salary cap works, given how much he commands as a top 10 player (unlike other top 10 players he was never going to accept less so that club could build a premiership contending team. He is too selfish for that), he also leads to weaknesses in other positions.

I would rather spend 50% to 70% of the price we would need to spend Teddy on a really good fullback, which would then allow us to upgrade to some better outside backs to play with him.

All the pressure is on Brooks tbh. And guess what, it’s only a 2 year contract so we’ll be going through this end of next year too. From what he’s shown in the last 2 weeks, he’s up to it. But as is the case with all Tigers players and teams, do it when it matters the most, do it when the chips are down.

There’s about 6-7 signings to come - both top line and depth players. We’ve got enough cap room to pick up some strike power, though obviously very difficult to replace someone like Tedesco.

@:

All the pressure is on Brooks tbh. And guess what, it’s only a 2 year contract so we’ll be going through this end of next year too. From what he’s shown in the last 2 weeks, he’s up to it. But as is the case with all Tigers players and teams, do it when it matters the most, do it when the chips are down.

We’ll be doing it again at the end of 2019 - not 2018.

Haha ‘‘grim reality’’
Ditch the DT headlines Eddie…you dont need to stoop to that level
If its as dire as you predict, well…whats new?
I see positives from Cleary in every game since hes arrived…looking forward to next year cant wait to be honest

I reckon we need to get Jarryd Hayne. I don’t really like him, and I know he holds the record for biggest ego, but I think that’s what we need. A ball playing fullback who can support reynolds and brooks on the opposition’s line.
Lolohea would do well too, as he is a very vreative player with untapped potential.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme