Marquee Player in Salary Cap

Is there something in the salary cap that allows us to give a player an additional "salary cap excluded payment’ for a marquee player??

I seem to remember hearing something along these lines and was thinking if that is the case we would have most definitely thrown that at Woods or Tedesco. If that is the case then surely that leaves us in quite a good position to go after a “marquee” signing.

Can someone confirm if I’m correct or maybe just making things up in my own mind :crazy :crazy

Are you thinking about the NRL war chest thats there to lure back or away stars from rival codes?

I think they lost the keys to that thing 😃

No thats for the Bulldogs and roosters

@:

Is there something in the salary cap that allows us to give a player an additional "salary cap excluded payment’ for a marquee player??

I seem to remember hearing something along these lines and was thinking if that is the case we would have most definitely thrown that at Woods or Tedesco. If that is the case then surely that leaves us in quite a good position to go after a “marquee” signing.

Can someone confirm if I’m correct or maybe just making things up in my own mind :crazy :crazy

Currently 600K outside of the Salary Cap which can be paid by Club Affiliated Sponsors (TPA’s)…can be to 1 player or distributed among a number of players…

@:

@:

Currently 600K outside of the Salary Cap which can be paid by Club Affiliated Sponsors (TPA’s)…can be to 1 player or distributed among a number of players…

That $600k goes a long way at Bondi, Belmore and Brisbane

As Geo said

What is traditionally referred to as club TPA’s is the Marquee Player Allowance, it can be used on any player’s within the top 25 and is a maximum of $600,000 per club and can be guaranteed within a player’s contract, these can use the club’s logo, jersey etc

TPA’s are from outside the club (supposedly), not be from club sponsors and cannot be guaranteed by the club, they are unlimited and use the player’s intellectual property however they cannot use the club logo, emblem or jersey.

I got this information from the NRL last year when I enquired:

Below is the top tier and second tier salary cap info, and increases for the 2016 season;

TOP 25 2015 2016

Salary Cap Base 5,350,000 5,600,000
Sponsor Servicing Allowance 200,000 200,000
Veteran Player Allowance 250,000 300,000
Marquee Player Allowance 600,000 600,000
Motor Vehicle Allowance 100,000 100,000
TOP 25 TOTAL SALARY CAP 6,500,000 6,800,000

NRL SECOND TIER SALARY CAP 460,000 480,000

There is a minimum spend on the Top 25, it is a requirement of the 2013-17 Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).

The CBA is an agreement between the Rugby League Players Association (RLPA)and the NRL, with the Players and the NRL Clubs bound by it.

In 2015, the minimum Top 25 spend is $5,895,000 per Club.

The top tier salary cap applies to the top 25 players from each club, and any other operations staff fall outside of the cap.

Teams cannot ‘stockpile’ money from the cap for future years.

@:

I got this information from the NRL last year when I enquired:

Below is the top tier and second tier salary cap info, and increases for the 2016 season;

TOP 25 2015 2016

Salary Cap Base 5,350,000 5,600,000
Sponsor Servicing Allowance 200,000 200,000
Veteran Player Allowance 250,000 300,000
Marquee Player Allowance 600,000 600,000
Motor Vehicle Allowance 100,000 100,000
TOP 25 TOTAL SALARY CAP 6,500,000 6,800,000

NRL SECOND TIER SALARY CAP 460,000 480,000

There is a minimum spend on the Top 25, it is a requirement of the 2013-17 Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).

The CBA is an agreement between the Rugby League Players Association (RLPA)and the NRL, with the Players and the NRL Clubs bound by it.

In 2015, the minimum Top 25 spend is $5,895,000 per Club.

The top tier salary cap applies to the top 25 players from each club, and any other operations staff fall outside of the cap.

Teams cannot ‘stockpile’ money from the cap for future years.

Thanks for the info, mctiger.

https://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentre/salarycap/tabid/10434/default.aspx

What players can earn outside the salary cap:

$600,000 - Marquee Player Allowance - any or all of the Top 25 players at each club can share in payments made by club sponsors seeking to use a player’s intellectual property. These may be guaranteed in the playing contract by clubs.

$100,000 - Motor Vehicle Allowance – a maximum amount of five motor vehicles may be provided to players in the Top 25 outside of the salary cap. (Valued at $20,000 each).

Unlimited - Players can earn unlimited amounts from corporate sponsors who are not associated with the club and who do not use the game’s intellectual property (no club logos, jerseys or emblems) provided these are pre-approved. These agreements may not be negotiated by the club as an incentive for a player to sign a contract, nor can they be guaranteed by the club.

Unlimited - Tertiary education fees, approved traineeships, medical insurance costs, relocation/temporary accommodation costs are not included in the cap but must be approved

@:

Unlimited - Players can earn unlimited amounts from corporate sponsors who are not associated with the club and who do not use the game’s intellectual property (no club logos, jerseys or emblems) provided these are pre-approved. These agreements may not be negotiated by the club as an incentive for a player to sign a contract, nor can they be guaranteed by the club.

Unlimited - Tertiary education fees, approved traineeships, medical insurance costs, relocation/temporary accommodation costs are not included in the cap but must be approved

So according to the rules, they dont have to be breaking any to throw bags of cash at these players.

Reggies Lawn mowers can give player X 3million dollars because he likes him.

@:

$600,000 - Marquee Player Allowance - any or all of the Top 25 players at each club can share in payments made by club sponsors seeking to use a player’s intellectual property. These may be guaranteed in the playing contract by clubs.

$100,000 - Motor Vehicle Allowance – a maximum amount of five motor vehicles may be provided to players in the Top 25 outside of the salary cap. (Valued at $20,000 each).

So who’s our marquee player? Lol

@:

@:

So according to the rules, they dont have to be breaking any to throw bags of cash at these players.

Reggies Lawn mowers can give player X 3million dollars because he likes him.

According to the rules the club should not have any role in TPA’s, however I think most are well aware Uncle Nick uses his contacts to get many of the TPA’s.

Yeah the idea of the unlimited TPA thing is to allow the likes of Billy Slater to earn $$ for his Powerade ad campaigns, without punishing the Storm.
In reality, the system is heavily abused by pretty much everyone.

The thoroughbreds is just as big a farce as uncle nick and his contacts - how the NRL can allow them to organise TPAs and say they are not associated with the broncos is a joke.

@:

@:

@:

That $600k goes a long way at Bondi, Belmore and Brisbane

Non-Affiliated TPA’s have no limit…Can not be guaranteed by a Club and must be approved by the NRL…

They were bought in to so a player is not limited in what they can earn from their own personal brand or intellectual property…Players are not allowed to wear any Club sponsored gear when doing any work for that TPA sponsor…

Oh…ricksen got it…

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.